Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 27 Oct 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2321550)   #26
JeanL
Rookie

JeanL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe
XII BRDC International Trophy
Silverstone,14 May 1960
#23 Jack Fairman Cooper-Climax T45
#12 John Surtees Lotus-Climax 18 ?
Old 28 Oct 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2322516)   #27
Roger Clark
Rookie

Roger Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flockhart drove a Cooper T53, number 23, entered by the Brabham Racing Organisation, in the 1961 International Trophy.
Old 29 Oct 2008, 14:07 (Ref:2323528)   #28
Navyflier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Braintree, Essex
Navyflier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flockhart photo

I believe I took this photograph on Friday, 5th. May 1961 at Silverstone practice session. Dan Gurney knocked 3 secs. off the Production Car lap record in a Chevrolet Impala that day.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 01:34 (Ref:2337353)   #29
teegeefla
Rookie

teegeefla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any chance of a picture of that Gurney Impala? I have never seen a color shot of it. Thanks.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2339431)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Notice the rare Berkeley next to the MGA in the background of the last pic above.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2339474)   #31
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Notice the rare Berkeley next to the MGA in the background of the last pic above.
... and a Lotus Elite.

Old 25 Nov 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2341359)   #32
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have only just discovered this Archive section. Cub thanks for sharing these photos it brings back a lot of memories for me as a child at Silverstone.
The overhead shots from above the pits where we all used to go and I seem to recall (in fact weirdly I was only thinking about this a few days ago) that the cars used to line up in the paddock by what I guess must now be the miedical centre. I seem to recall a hut on the left (infield) and a wooden fence on the right with a path going down to some more buildings (probably along the current BRDC stand and Luffied building. This would have been mid-late sixties. Cub if you have a photo of that area I would be fascinated to see if my memory was correct!!!
Old 25 Nov 2008, 15:35 (Ref:2341472)   #33
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
The overhead shots from above the pits where we all used to go and I seem to recall (in fact weirdly I was only thinking about this a few days ago) that the cars used to line up in the paddock by what I guess must now be the miedical centre. I seem to recall a hut on the left (infield) and a wooden fence on the right with a path going down to some more buildings (probably along the current BRDC stand and Luffied building. This would have been mid-late sixties. Cub if you have a photo of that area I would be fascinated to see if my memory was correct!!!

Above: 1969 British GP - the photo was taken from off the Pit Balcony over-looking the Paddock area. There is a wooden fence in the background that isn't that far from the balcony area.

Apologies to Cub for posting one of my photos on this thread.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 15:42 (Ref:2341477)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
that is definitely the type of fencing I recall. My strong memory (in fact my earliest of Silverstone) is facing the track (I reckon Luffield unless cars were released at Copse) with single seater cars waiting to go out and something like a scoreboard on my left and on my right behind the white fencing grass and single story huts/offices - sorry to slightly hijack it but as I said its been a vivid memory for probably 40 years and Steve your photo along with Cub's excellant ones has made me think about it again - halcyon days of motor racing.....
Old 26 Nov 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2342105)   #35
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would have been the Lucas scoreboard next to the gents loo - the coldest place known on earth I recall. Across the way were all the admin buildings (all wartime) and a gravel parking area for official cars. Past that was the Woodcote (no Luffield complex in those days, just the downhill run into the tricky Woodcote on the Club circuit at least) infield viewing area with a small open viewing platform - you couldn't really call it a grandstand - one of the best places to watch. Behind the admin buildings was the driver's changing room and the Pat Fairfield memorial (now at Donington) and Brooklands the gates.
I didn't ever think I'd be nostalgic for Silverstone but the place has changed out of all recognition.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2342147)   #36
simon drabble
Veteran

James thanks for the confirmation. I am an odd fish in so much that Silverstone still excites me to this day but the old days of walking round the pits etc where great. When did it all change?
Old 26 Nov 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2342158)   #37
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Early 1970s at a guess.
As a small boy I used to love standing on the pit top viewing balcony - a really exciting place to watch.

I remember the debris fencing being erected along the pit straight and how remote it made the racing seem. I think Silverstone was the first British circuit to be so afflicted.

I can't get excited about the place now. Every time I go (and it's rarely these days) it gets less friendly and more confusing.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2342168)   #38
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson

Above: 1969 British GP - the photo was taken from off the Pit Balcony over-looking the Paddock area.
The big problem with the Pit Balcony, for marshals, was for ever have to tell people off for smoking. I was there a couple of times in 1973 and it was amazing how many people lit a cigarette and flicked the spent match into the Pit Lane!

Out of interest when was the Pit Lane raised. Cub's photo's show it at track level. I first went to Silverstone in 1970 when it had the ramp. When the pits were rebuilt in 74/75 it went back down to track level again.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2342176)   #39
Barry Boor
Rookie

Barry Boor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raised just at the right time to ensure that Jody Scheckter et al didn't wipe out half of the pit personnel in 1973.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2342178)   #40
simon drabble
Veteran

I remember standing above the pits - as a child it was the place to be!!! I was very lucky as we lived in a village close by (Greens Norton) and my dad was big buddies with the Smith's who owned the Saracen's Head and the top drivers back then stayed there... Now the Saracen's Head's banana split pudding was something else worth having! Tony Smith used to give me tickets to Silverstone whenever I wanted them and I would then bike over...

Last edited by simon drabble; 26 Nov 2008 at 15:11.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2342304)   #41
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Boor
Raised just at the right time to ensure that Jody Scheckter et al didn't wipe out half of the pit personnel in 1973.
Silverstone, 1973 the evening before the GP. Scheckter's M23 is the car at the back - perhaps his crew had too much beer which upset the handling

You can just see the pit balcony in the background.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2358262)   #42
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Is one of those 'Shaft movie extra' wannabes Ron Dennis?
Old 20 Dec 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2358754)   #43
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Henry Taylor at Silverstone.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2360843)   #44
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Phil Hill's Ferrari at Silverstone.
Old 25 Dec 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2360970)   #45
JeanL
Rookie

JeanL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Magnificent !
1960,but BRDC International Trophy in may or British Grand Prix in july ?