Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jan 2019, 06:16 (Ref:3876628)   #701
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mike, your vicar was fast like… hell! I can't imagine him entering too fast in a corner shouting: "holly cow"! Anyway, overhead valves was an "inspired" design, worth a mass!

In rural areas, for obvious reasons the 2 CV was popular. From time to time, you could spot four good sisters singing and swinging inside the soft sprung Citroën… Imagine the Scene………
Old 17 Jan 2019, 06:19 (Ref:3876629)   #702
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Oh yeah Colin, dont forget you're my hero. I've been a good boy last year and expect good pics and videos from you this time.

Can we count on a picture with E.B in his… caravan?
Old 17 Jan 2019, 06:31 (Ref:3876630)   #703
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike, your vicar was fast like… hell! I can't imagine him entering too fast in a corner shouting: "holly cow"! Anyway, overhead valves was an "inspired" design, worth a mass!

In rural areas, for obvious reasons the 2 CV was popular. From time to time, you could spot four good sisters singing and swinging inside the soft sprung Citroën… Imagine the Scene………
Sadly, the Vicar ‘met his maker’ in the Rover, after suffering a heart attack at the wheel! Resulted in a head on crash on a piece of road adjacent to another church.....

To me the 2CV and Renault 4 will always be the epitome of how well suspension can be made to work. Now it seems we are stuck with an obsession over handling and how fast a car can lap Nurburgring- whatever it was intended to do in real life!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 06:42 (Ref:3876631)   #704
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sadly, the Vicar ‘met his maker’ in the Rover, after suffering a heart attack at the wheel! Resulted in a head on crash on a piece of road adjacent to another church.
Incredible, really??? Love the story. He was sent back and couldn't ask for guarantee in good French!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 06:49 (Ref:3876632)   #705
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I am in need of a Tenthers report on Brexit please . I am now more confused than ever as to what’s going on .
Old 17 Jan 2019, 06:55 (Ref:3876633)   #706
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
At last I meet someone, after James May, who dares to say the modern suspension have to cope with modern life and not the Green Hell. I had a very unpleasant conversation with some responsible when they first introduce the 996 Carrera 4S. The first word they used during the press meeting were: "4. Keep this number deep in your minds. Vier. Thats Walter's gain on the Nürbur!" I just mentioned that few journalists knew this track and that Herr Röhr is pretty unique and its was enough to start a remake of WWII! They first tried to argue I was "born con" before discovering that I was racing both a 911 2 litre and a 996 Cup in endurance! They even threaten their own official translator because one of my stupid joke made her laugh… From what I see among today's car makers only BMW has soften the suspensions of the new 5 Series.

Together with you Mike, I hope E.B a great 2 CV fan, will confirm that the design of the suspensions and seats gives a fantastic result. Remember how simple the first models were: no shock absorbers, no wiper motor, no door/bonnet hinges…
Old 17 Jan 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3876634)   #707
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
E.B if ever you need kwossons or qwassons, I suggest San Remo Bakery in your area. If its for a foreigner, ask for clockwise turned units, if its for you they have to be turned anti clockwise of course!
And take care, if you've invited people coming from another island, prepare yourself: they could stay longer than intended first!!!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 07:11 (Ref:3876637)   #708
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
E.B if ever you need kwossons or qwassons, I suggest San Remo Bakery in your area. If its for a foreigner, ask for clockwise turned units, if its for you they have to be turned anti clockwise of course!
And take care, if you've invited people coming from another island, prepare yourself: they could stay longer than intended first!!!
🤣🤣
Old 17 Jan 2019, 07:18 (Ref:3876638)   #709
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think an increasing amount of journalists now understand that ultimate cornering speed is less important than actually being able to keep control of the car on anything but perfect tarmac! Funny you should mention Porsche as the most difficult (to drive) road car I have ever owned was a 964RS. I’m sure the suspension worked fine in the race series it was set up for, but on a less than smooth road with pot holes and bumps, it was hideous. I’ve learned enough about springs and dampers over the years to be able to follow a car down the road, watch how it moves over bumps, and know how good or bad the set up is! Some ‘executive’ Audi’s look ridiculously stiff, and of course Beemers with run-flats..... No surprise that Alpina don’t fit them, and their cars are praised for improved ride quality. Having said that, from what I’ve read about the latest factory models, the engineers are learning the error of their ways. Maybe they’ve been forced to drive a Jag XE or XF for a while!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3876642)   #710
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, the first run flat did help the sales figures in your area from what I've been told! Was it the police to test them? After several written off Vauxhall's, seems they gave up with this thing deteriorating the comfort and cornering abilities. Specially in the wet. OK, the system has been improved over the years and nowadays products improve the overall safety.

Criticize some brands doesn't make you popular here, specially when it comes to any 911. Obviously it has nothing to see with the fact that at least three magazines make all their business with the said brand… My favorite 911 remains the 993, being the last with an air cooled engine and the first to adopt a 5 link rear suspension. I never appreciated the 2.0 L SWB, in spite of the use of not less than eleven different cars in endurance! I guess you got an english copy of Paul Frère's book?
Old 17 Jan 2019, 08:22 (Ref:3876643)   #711
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’ve got a very early edition of 911 Story, but it’s been updated many times since... He was a great journalist- and driver!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3876645)   #712
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
.....and of course Beemers with run-flats..... No surprise that Alpina don’t fit them, and their cars are praised for improved ride quality. Having said that, from what I’ve read about the latest factory models, the engineers are learning the error of their ways. Maybe they’ve been forced to drive a Jag XE or XF for a while!
Interesting point. My previous car was a BMW X3 on run-flats and before that I had a Jag XF. The Jag was like driving an armchair, very comfortable but not as dynamic as I had hoped. The X3 on run-flats was fine - very comfortable, not as 'floaty' as the Jag and a lot more fun to drive despite being an SUV. I think they've improved the run-flats and suspension relationship in recent years.

Currently running a Panda 4x4 Cross which is a bit 'different' to the last two!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3876649)   #713
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gary, you own a great all terrain car! The simpler the better. French press release was partially held in a military training camp (may be Carpiagne but not sure). We could easily match the Jeep's in the mud. When it came to tarmac, one of my mate easily matched any Jeep too when he rolled the Panda! Funny day!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3876652)   #714
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
As to wrecking press cars, we have a certain know how in France making a strong reputation. I do remember the first R Megane presentation. We rolled two of them at Montlhéry, magazine was Auto Plus. Then the chief engineer came to Eric Bath then chief editor, rather angry, wanting to see what kind of test we had made. After rolling two other cars, he had to admit that our tests were more demanding than his!
At the end of the day, we went back to back, one journalist and one engineer slightly injured, making a great decision: wear a helmet and keep the Urgo box around just in case!
Of course they tried to enhance the fact that journalists can't really drive anything other than a bicycle. Bad luck for them, in the Auto + team we had two Viper GT3 racers and one Porsche driver too…
Old 17 Jan 2019, 08:54 (Ref:3876653)   #715
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Interesting point. My previous car was a BMW X3 on run-flats and before that I had a Jag XF. The Jag was like driving an armchair, very comfortable but not as dynamic as I had hoped. The X3 on run-flats was fine - very comfortable, not as 'floaty' as the Jag and a lot more fun to drive despite being an SUV. I think they've improved the run-flats and suspension relationship in recent years.

Currently running a Panda 4x4 Cross which is a bit 'different' to the last two!
I think the problem initially with run-flats was the carcass stiffness, and the fact that the springs and dampers weren’t tuned to suit. The Mini suffered the same problem, but over time they’ve altered settings to work better with the tyres! Your Jag an early one? I believe the later XF was a bit better damped.

I think your Pandy is great, and I’m pleased that Suzuki have continued with the Jimny, despite it being out of keeping with modern trends....
Old 17 Jan 2019, 08:56 (Ref:3876654)   #716
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Terence, I see you! May be you could tell us what really happens when testing for car makers but only if you dont do that for a living…*Probably we have to wait a bit to read your memories……… Cant wait!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 09:03 (Ref:3876655)   #717
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I think the problem initially with run-flats was the carcass stiffness
I second that. In all terrain, the main concern is the use of proper tires. Then, Panda, Jimny or Niva all using a narrow track and simple lock system are good. I've not been convinced by the modern traction control system using electronics to enable the calipers. Old fashion you say?
Old 17 Jan 2019, 09:17 (Ref:3876658)   #718
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Gary, you own a great all terrain car! The simpler the better. French press release was partially held in a military training camp (may be Carpiagne but not sure). We could easily match the Jeep's in the mud. When it came to tarmac, one of my mate easily matched any Jeep too when he rolled the Panda! Funny day!
Agreed Gerard. I only got it the Panda as a temporary measure about 16-months ago as I was debating between another X3 and a LR Discovery. But I enjoy the Panda so much I haven't bothered changing it. Great little car.

Also, as I now travel to some pretty rough terrain re my mountain rescue role I'm not that bothered about risking the Panda compared to a shiny new 'exec' type car.
Old 17 Jan 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3876659)   #719
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
I think the problem initially with run-flats was the carcass stiffness, and the fact that the springs and dampers weren’t tuned to suit. The Mini suffered the same problem, but over time they’ve altered settings to work better with the tyres! Your Jag an early one? I believe the later XF was a bit better damped.

I think your Pandy is great, and I’m pleased that Suzuki have continued with the Jimny, despite it being out of keeping with modern trends....
The XF was a 2012 one Mike. Lovely car on the motorways and long journeys - took it to the Le Mans Classic 2012 in its first week. Before the Jag I had a Mini Clubman (the one with the extra offside door - which I found very useful to be honest) - that was also on run-flats. Always regretted trading it in. A bit firm on the tyres / suspension but a great little car to drive. I think that's why I found the Jag a bit boring to drive.

I read somewhere that many Suzuki dealers have stopped taking orders for the new Jimmy as they've already sold their allocated stock for the whole of 2019. Look's to be a great little 4x4.
Old 17 Jan 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3876660)   #720
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I am in need of a Tenthers report on Brexit please . I am now more confused than ever as to what’s going on .
The simple answer is that nobody knows what will happen, it is perfectly obvious that the opposition, Labour, Liberal, SNP, Greens are all out to 'get' Teresa, regardless of anything else, Brexit is not on their agenda.

Corbyn simply wants to become PM, and dose not care how he achieves it, all of the other parties are anti-Brexit and are working for a second referendum, which they think the Remainers will win. The DUP are just being Irish and as awkward as possible to try and get as much as they can from Mrs May.
Hard line Tories want a 'No Deal' Brexit totally free from any EU influence. and a small minority want the current deal rejected by Parliament, but tweaked a bit on the bl**** Irish Border problem.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Mrs. May has know all along that she would never get an agreement with all of the conflicting positions, and is intending to take us out of the EU without any 'deal', but being able to say 'I did my best but you lot could not agree so make the best of it."

That is certainly my position, get out and sort out the rest later.

We can do it if we don't EU it.

Hope this clarifies the current state of affairs Iain.

Political Editor, Historic Forum.
Old 17 Jan 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3876670)   #721
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few days ago, I posed the question on here about why the 14 year old, Jaden Moodie, who was murdered, was riding around on a scooter/moped when he wasn't old enough to have a licence to do so.

Well, information released by the police have confirmed a number of things. Firstly, the scooter was actually stolen and didn't belong to him.

Secondly, he was excluded from school after he posted the boast that he was involved in drug dealing, and posted pictures of himself waving £50 notes.

Maybe not quite the little angel as claimed by his family?
Old 17 Jan 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3876671)   #722
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And.... Just to add a bit more to it.

If we pull out of the EU and have an election, it's likely that Corbyn would win. If so he would attempt to turn the UK into Venezuela. This is why he is anti EU. He's hoping for a no deal Brexit.

So by not leaving the EU he would still be elected, simply because this shower, with few exceptions, are pretty dire, but cannot turn the UK into Venezuela because the EU would never sanction his budget.

Catch 22.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 17 Jan 2019 at 11:41. Reason: Edit: This was following up on Baub's Brexit Update.
Old 17 Jan 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3876673)   #723
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Also, as I now travel to some pretty rough terrain re my mountain rescue role I'm not that bothered about risking the Panda compared to a shiny new 'exec' type car.
I could test the first generation of Q7, region was south of Scotland. When we left the tarmac, we found ground paths. To stop damaging the underneath protection of the expensive vessel, I went for a damp meadow and had to go backward because the "thing" was not able to climb a five per cent slope… It would have been a game for any 20 or more years Toy' BJ!
I love the new Panda but, being around 1,91 m with long legs, I just can't understand why the central consol is so aggressive… New, the Cross model doesn't sell very well here becoming sought after when second hand.
Old 17 Jan 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3876674)   #724
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Maybe not quite the little angel as claimed by his family?
Its not too soon our instances talking about suppressing some if not any financial help to a family when a youngster becomes a gangster… I wish they bring back the spanking too! Then education will no more be a vain word. May be…
Old 17 Jan 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3876678)   #725
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A bit concerned about the latest advice on how to save the planet- we've got to eat one burger per week. That's one more per week than I eat now.....