Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Sep 2007, 15:33 (Ref:2009405)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TV coverage, loitering outside McLaren garages and the world feed

Firstly, other than James Allen, one thing really irks me with ITV's coverage. It's the insistance on having shots of Steve Rider talking to Mark Blundell before the race, usually in front of a McLaren garage. Also, there is the "ask stupid questions to mark blundell" feature. Surely they could just have them talking over the world feed shots, possibly answering silly questions comparing F1 cars to road cars, which are actually quite good featuring blimp shots of the track, including the old oval at Monza and so-on. They barely use them on ITV and just cut for the banner racing on the circles thing. They do this for football etc, after all.

Which leads me on to a point. Whilst it would be pointless if they didn't show it, IMO they should do the following.

For the grid run through, it should be slower, and quite possibly have more detail - WDC position/points, times in all 3 qualifying parts and so-on.

Do the track guide as part of the world feed. Possibly do it on board with the safety car when it does one of its various recce laps. I think MotoGP do that as part of their feed. Related, but please please please use corner names - NOT turn numbers as I couldn't work out which was which at Monaco with the apex speed trap, and I feel sure many others couldn't.

Add a constant thing on the screen of the top 8. Yes, it's American style but it's quite good.

In qualifying, specifically in Q3, instead of having the clock counting up for the driver's lap time, make it count DOWN for pole. And just having the clock overlayed is pointless, maybe have sector times.

It's not graphics related, but for the replays of the start, could we have a blimp view. Please, please, please.

No stupid pit crew helmet cams, they are just silly. Maybe show the pit stop on-board on the car. But the ones on the pit crew helmets are silly.

Change the software so they can see all the onboards at the same time. It would be good to see some crashes on-board.

Which brings me to my last point - a small graphic, for ALL onboard shots that says onboard with whoever. Rather simple.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 16:12 (Ref:2009433)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Firstly, other than James Allen, one thing really irks me with ITV's coverage. It's the insistance on having shots of Steve Rider talking to Mark Blundell before the race, usually in front of a McLaren garage.
For me it's the lurkers who are irksome with their gormless 'ooh can you see me on tv yet' expressions with a mobile welded to their ears!

Don't mind the discussions outside the garages, but hey how about some different garages!!
Old 11 Sep 2007, 16:34 (Ref:2009444)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree with pretty much everything in your post.. It's pretty good as it is. They're offering us more race data on screen, better camera angles, more pre-race than ever before ,yet you're still complaining?
Old 11 Sep 2007, 16:39 (Ref:2009448)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I actually like the pre-race thing of presenting from pit-lane. it is a good atmospheric touch and was brought in at Steve Riders insistence. It beats the Jim Rosenthal/Tony Jardine "standing in front of a water feature in the same dodgy shirt every race" school of presenting hands down.

The American style positions thing would be a good idea I reckon. I do like that. I'd have it alternating between showing the full 22 and the top 10 though.

As for the rest, not at all fussed really. I just want F1 Digital back!
Old 11 Sep 2007, 17:30 (Ref:2009507)   #5
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also, there is the "ask stupid questions to mark blundell" feature. Surely they could just have them talking over the world feed shots, possibly answering silly questions comparing F1 cars to road cars
I guess the problem with that is that some questions would require detailed descriptions, when a simple picture would suffice and so the features could end up being quite drawn out.

Quote:
For the grid run through, it should be slower, and quite possibly have more detail - WDC position/points, times in all 3 qualifying parts and so-on.
I would question whether such detail is needed; afterall those who care about a certain driver's time in the first qualifying session would have probably watched qualifying or would have found out before the programme starts; similarly, the championship tables are normally covered in a seperate section of the show.

Quote:
Do the track guide as part of the world feed. Possibly do it on board with the safety car when it does one of its various recce laps.
Personally, I prefer to see the track guide from a racing car; I feel it has more relevance to what the driver sees, the speed they go and so forth. I don't really see how featuring it as part of the World Feed makes any difference as it would force the broadcaster to switch to showing it at a moments notice and could lead to disjointed interviews, features, etc.

Quote:
please use corner names - NOT turn numbers
I agree.

Quote:
In qualifying, specifically in Q3, instead of having the clock counting up for the driver's lap time, make it count DOWN for pole.
I'm a little confused by this; how can you have a clock counting down a drivers lap time? To do this a random time would need to be established to start the clock and then the driver with the most time at the end of their lap would be on pole. In which case, what difference does it make to the current situation?

I do agree that somesort of evolving caption showing the top x number of cars would be a good idea.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 17:57 (Ref:2009539)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The emphasis of the build up is not what I want, but standing in the pit lane doing it is not the problem at all.

In addition they stand in front of many pits, choosing McLaren recently was good, because it is topical. And after the last race we got to see the team get round Ron - emotion in evidence!

The grid walk is good too.

The quality of the discussion and ? is poor IMHO.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 18:14 (Ref:2009556)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I'm a little confused by this; how can you have a clock counting down a drivers lap time? To do this a random time would need to be established to start the clock and then the driver with the most time at the end of their lap would be on pole. In which case, what difference does it make to the current situation?
Let's say the pole time is 1:30.00

If the driver is about to finish their lap and currently 1:29.00 has elapsed, it would currently say 1:29.00, when I suggest it should count DOWN from the pole position time - I.E. if they finish before the clock hits zero, they are on pole. In that example it would read 0:01.00.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 18:15 (Ref:2009558)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why do I feel that is not at all important?

It really makes no difference which way it counts!
Old 11 Sep 2007, 21:12 (Ref:2009725)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
The grid walk is good too.
I think the grid walk is losing something of its appeal - not through any fault of ITV's, but simply because F1 drivers are getting harder and harder to get hold of just before a race. The British GP grid walk was embarrassing - the Beckhams and Girls Aloud? They may as well have interviewed me, I probably know more about F1 than they do.

I prefer the track guide done on board with the pole-sitter, it's much more relevant to the racing that we'll be watching and allows us to see what the driver is doing at different points in the track. I'd definitely leave that as it is.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 11 Sep 2007, 21:32 (Ref:2009738)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like the pole lap section too. Always interesting.

I don't mind the odd celeb. being interviewed. They are generally are a good laugh, or should that be good to laugh at. If the rest of the build up is good the odd distraction of a dumbo is amusing.

I also don't have a great problem with those who don't like being interviewed. Kudos to those who give a few words, but if a driver doesn't want to be interviewed a just before the race then fine. The idea of the interview is to get an idea about a drivers build-up and thoughts. Well not being interviewed beforehand tells as much, if not more, than some of the words we get.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 21:38 (Ref:2009741)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I prefer it if Brundle interviews other F1 personalities if he can't get drivers - if he's stuck he can generally bump into Bernie and get a few words. At least he knows what he's talking about. "Celebrities" get enough exposure without invading F1 coverage.

I'm not sure that showing the top 8 on the screen all through the race would be a good idea - when other things appear, like the graphics showing G force, it could start to look a bit messy. The commentators tend to go through the positions fairly frequently anyway, so I don't find it's a major problem if I can't see the top 8 or 10 or whatever instantly.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 11 Sep 2007, 23:43 (Ref:2009827)   #12
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate the constantly scrolling leaderboards, it is distracting and unnecessary. Instead they could just show the DTM-style leaderboard as they do during qualifying. Its got to be static, no movement.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 02:22 (Ref:2009858)   #13
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Firstly, other than James Allen, one thing really irks me with ITV's coverage. It's the insistance on having shots of Steve Rider talking to Mark Blundell before the race, usually in front of a McLaren garage. Also, there is the "ask stupid questions to mark blundell" feature. Surely they could just have them talking over the world feed shots, possibly answering silly questions comparing F1 cars to road cars, which are actually quite good featuring blimp shots of the track, including the old oval at Monza and so-on. They barely use them on ITV and just cut for the banner racing on the circles thing. They do this for football etc, after all.

Which leads me on to a point. Whilst it would be pointless if they didn't show it, IMO they should do the following.

Do the track guide as part of the world feed. Possibly do it on board with the safety car when it does one of its various recce laps. I think MotoGP do that as part of their feed. Related, but please please please use corner names - NOT turn numbers as I couldn't work out which was which at Monaco with the apex speed trap, and I feel sure many others couldn't.

Add a constant thing on the screen of the top 8. Yes, it's American style but it's quite good.

In qualifying, specifically in Q3, instead of having the clock counting up for the driver's lap time, make it count DOWN for pole. And just having the clock overlayed is pointless, maybe have sector times.

It's not graphics related, but for the replays of the start, could we have a blimp view. Please, please, please.

No stupid pit crew helmet cams, they are just silly. Maybe show the pit stop on-board on the car. But the ones on the pit crew helmets are silly.

Change the software so they can see all the onboards at the same time. It would be good to see some crashes on-board.

Which brings me to my last point - a small graphic, for ALL onboard shots that says onboard with whoever. Rather simple.

I would not really complain, cause here in Australia we get jack all. When the F1 telecast went from CH9 to CH10 it was suppose to be a better package ,but it has got worse. No LIVE race ,execpt for the Aussie F1 Race.

Wish Bernie would look into it.

At least you get a pre race show.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 12 Sep 2007, 09:27 (Ref:2009989)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
....but please please please use corner names - NOT turn numbers.
Yep, I agree with that one too. (Assuming they've actually bothered to give the corners names.......).
Old 12 Sep 2007, 09:27 (Ref:2009990)   #15
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does Speed channel have any pre race stuff?
Old 12 Sep 2007, 09:42 (Ref:2010009)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I prefer it if Brundle interviews other F1 personalities if he can't get drivers - if he's stuck he can generally bump into Bernie and get a few words. At least he knows what he's talking about. "Celebrities" get enough exposure without invading F1 coverage.
Yes, good point. He usually manages to grab a word with someone if he runs out of drivers to speak to, but as you say there's plenty of race people knocking around the grid for a quip or two.

Maybe ITV should start prearranging a few 'reseves' so he knows he's not chasing his tail too much!
Old 12 Sep 2007, 11:51 (Ref:2010091)   #17
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Does Speed channel have any pre race stuff?
Yes, and Peter Windsor does the grid walk.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 12:06 (Ref:2010101)   #18
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Peter Windsor's grid walk is actually really good. Although he is British, he really is the American equivelant of Brundle in standard.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 14:33 (Ref:2010204)   #19
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the drivers will talk to Peter. So will many of the team Honchos as well as Bernie, even if it is just to whisper in his ear about Bo Derek!
Old 12 Sep 2007, 19:33 (Ref:2010431)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Is Peter Windsor not Australian? Or did he just live there?
Old 12 Sep 2007, 21:03 (Ref:2010503)   #21
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Is Peter Windsor not Australian? Or did he just live there?
Born in England, grew up in Australia (according to Wikipedia)
Old 12 Sep 2007, 21:03 (Ref:2010504)   #22
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he might have lived there I don't know, but he's definitely got an English accent.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 10:01 (Ref:2010969)   #23
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My suggestion is simple. Set your sky + box to record the program from the start. Begin watching it 30 minutes after the start of the program and fast forward through which ever bits you personally think are rubbish. You certainly get rid of the adverts by doing it this way. Works for me. As to the grid walk. It was a good idea but it's past it's sell by date now, so can it and come up with something new. No one wants to speak to Martin now anyway, so they slope off where he can't find them. If he catches anyone it's all PR speak so he ends up with muppets like the Beckham's or some rap star that only Lewis Hamilton appeared to have heard of.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2011844)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
If I watch a race later, that is good.

However if I can watch it live, it has to be live, especially as you can get things like live timing and 10-10ths insight!
Old 13 Sep 2007, 20:35 (Ref:2011857)   #25
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am only time-shifting by approx 30 mins and have often caught up by the end. Well worth it to remove those pesky adverts.