Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 24 Nov 2009, 02:09 (Ref:2588176)   #26
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I thought last Sundays episode was great, yes some of the funny moments were a bit scripted, but it was funny to me despite that and unlike most episodes of top gear there wasnt any part of the show where I actually got bored. Sure the show isnt perhaps as good as it was a couple of years ago but its getting better than it was towards the end of season 13. IMO.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 02:13 (Ref:2588178)   #27
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's definately become less about the cars & more about the presenters, which is a shame.
With regards to the scripted 'banter' - I won tickets to the MPH show a few years ago & the live show featured Clarkson, Hammond & Tiff Needel. All very funny, until a couple of weeks later I sat down to watch the new series of TG and found all the banter to be absolutely identical to the MPH show!

That said, I laughed out loud several times during the electric car piece, especially the pendulum test!
Old 24 Nov 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2588384)   #28
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Oh the pendulum test was hilarious - i'll give them that!

But I don't understand... It's so evident that these guys are genuinely funny and have a good chemistry, so why not allow more time for them to do that..?

Selby
Old 24 Nov 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2588431)   #29
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
How many people going to go to Romania now to kill themselves on that road!?
I'm already pricing coffins.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2588432)   #30
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
It's so evident that these guys are genuinely funny and have a good chemistry, so why not allow more time for them to do that..?
Maybe to stop Clarkson making anymore 'murdering lorry driver' comments?! The BBC do seem to be overly cautious now after that and, even more so, the Russel Brand/Jonathon Ross/Andrew Sachs incident. Both of which I thought were hilarious
Old 24 Nov 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2588435)   #31
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For the record Brand and Ross Rule
Old 24 Nov 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2588491)   #32
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now this may be my odd sense of humour, but the bit of Sunday's show that had me literally on the floor in tears of laughter was The Stig coming out of the Autocar office. And walking down the ramps instead of the steps. And then looking at the pedestrian walkway before striding off along it.

Some say The Stig is really a dalek. And that he can't negotiate stairs...
Old 24 Nov 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2588497)   #33
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Now this may be my odd sense of humour, but the bit of Sunday's show that had me literally on the floor in tears of laughter was The Stig coming out of the Autocar office. And walking down the ramps instead of the steps. And then looking at the pedestrian walkway before striding off along it.

LOL - thought it was just me that noticed that!
Old 24 Nov 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2588506)   #34
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post

Yeah, I was in knots at that and the wife was wondering what was so funny.

When they were in the windtunnel and they were looking for Hammond - on pressing an aptly named button, he appeared.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2588524)   #35
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It's amusing stuff but it's gone from unmissable Sunday evening viewing to Sky+ wallpaper which you put on when you're working on the laptop and get bored of the silence. Still manages to raise a smile but past its best - possibly through over familiarity. Hammond was on the radio this morning and it was good to hear him being himself rather than acting a part.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2588525)   #36
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh you're spot on - It must be that.

Selby
Old 24 Nov 2009, 17:11 (Ref:2588536)   #37
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Hammond was on the radio this morning and it was good to hear him being himself rather than acting a part.
Is that last word a typo?
Old 24 Nov 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2588537)   #38
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
haha

FORTY TWO
Old 25 Nov 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2589163)   #39
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
It's amusing stuff but it's gone from unmissable Sunday evening viewing to Sky+ wallpaper which you put on when you're working on the laptop and get bored of the silence.
Spot on, that's how I watch it now too...!
Old 30 Nov 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2591682)   #40
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Oh well, after a promising episode last week it was pretty lame again. The caravan airship was good but some terrible editing-right after a shot of Hammond in the Lambo on a roundabout just up the road from me at Little Barford, Bedfordshire, the camera cut to a shot of a sign saying 'Essex'!
Old 30 Nov 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2591753)   #41
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, and they went from norwich airport straight to bedford... that's quite a drive, let alone a float

good fun programme though.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2591758)   #42
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
It was the first time I've really laughed at TG for a long time. The show got a bit dull towards the end but the airship caravan was very funny (totally scripted but funny anyway) and the falling apart Lancia thing was funny even if it did go on a bit too long. SIARPC really has passed its sell by date but seeing someone as out of control as Chris Evans was is always mildly funny. Better - but long way to go.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2591771)   #43
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I thought it was good fun

One thing always bugs me about Lancia features (not just on Top Gear) - they never mention the S4. It's one of the best cars Lancia produced and was utterly bonkers (they did mention Lancia being the first to use both Turbo and Super charging on the same engine) but they skipped from the Stratos to the Integrale. Why no S4? Ignoring it does not make it or it's role in motorsport history go away.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 17:39 (Ref:2591825)   #44
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what did they say at the end ?
Old 30 Nov 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2591858)   #45
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
"On that bombshell"
Old 30 Nov 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2591930)   #46
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought it was a great episode. The Lancia segment was very good, especially as it was filmed just up the road from me in the Beacons and on the Black Mountain (which I've seen used before for the Merc CL Black feature last year). And I'm not too sure that the airship feature was that staged

I've had no issues with the series so far, although I've skipped all the SIARPC features - as Craig says, long past its sell-by date. They need something new to go there - might be a bit exclusive for us racing nerds, but how about some top British pros? We've had a few F1 drivers on in the past (and Lewis is due to return soon) but why not extend that to your Franchittis, McNishes and so on? Or even just a regular motorsports feature - taking the mick out of something F1-related, for instance, as they did with Manor
Old 30 Nov 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2591965)   #47
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
And I'm not too sure that the airship feature was that staged
http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24...Category=Video
A spokesman for Norwich International airport said: "We were happy to support Top Gear in a test flight of a unique airborne vehicle, which has been approved by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), for a feature in an upcoming show."

Bit difficult not to stray into Norwich Airport airspace if that's where you've taken off from. You're right, not staged at all.
Old 30 Nov 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2591966)   #48
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with Bert, I'd have loved to have seen an S4.

On the note of Lancia, some not very happy people here: http://www.stratossupersite.com/foru...ead.php?t=7683 Posts #1, #6 and #15 are the interesting ones. Also seems last night's Stig was, possibly, 'Andy' someone, though the bloke seems a bit vague on that.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2592423)   #49
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24...Category=Video
A spokesman for Norwich International airport said: "We were happy to support Top Gear in a test flight of a unique airborne vehicle, which has been approved by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), for a feature in an upcoming show."

Bit difficult not to stray into Norwich Airport airspace if that's where you've taken off from. You're right, not staged at all.
Fair enough. But credit to TG for making it seem plausible to the gullible among us
Old 1 Dec 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2592586)   #50
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clarkson's logic behind comparing Lancia to Stephen Hawking was hilarious!

...or so I thought. Perhaps that makes me a bad person?