Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jul 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3105818)   #1
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe Autumn Classic

Today Castle Combe Circuit announced a new historic race meeting to be known as the Autumn Classic to be run on 6th October 2012.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3105823)   #2
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Autumn Classic had been on the 2012 schedule since the beginning of the year running as one day of a two day weekend coupled with the Castle Combe Championships Finals.

Anyway, the line up on the CCRC website looks like it could be a good one.

Dave
Old 12 Jul 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3105829)   #3
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuit had a media day yesterday promoting this meeting so maybe this is where the news came from. It has always been on the cards since the events calendar was released. Really looking forward to it !
Old 13 Jul 2012, 07:31 (Ref:3105908)   #4
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, that explains the Classics running round in the lunch break on the test day. We saw/heard them from the kart track.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 08:03 (Ref:3105921)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Bernies HVRV8's will be there hopefully with me joining in. be nice if the sort the drivers changing rooms out for the occassion!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 13 Jul 2012 at 08:13.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3105938)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A rare weekend off for me so I reckon I'll be over to watch you Al Mrs MM wanted to go somewhere special for our wedding anniversary so she can drive and I'll have a couple of beers with you!
Old 13 Jul 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3105939)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ha ha nice one Max. It will be a good show for the appreciative crowd thats for sure!
Old 13 Jul 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3105946)   #8
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Ha ha nice one Max. It will be a good show for the appreciative crowd thats for sure!
A few images from the Media Day yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Castle Combe Autumn Classic  Ten Tenths 003.jpg   Castle Combe Autumn Classic  Ten Tenths 005.jpg   Castle Combe Autumn Classic  Ten Tenths.jpg  

Castle Combe Autumn Classic  Ten Tenths 010.jpg  
Old 13 Jul 2012, 17:55 (Ref:3106092)   #9
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks a good meeting and so close to home
Old 13 Jul 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3106100)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

So where abouts in Wiltshire are you Brands?

I looked at the races and thought I could enter the Combe Classic race...blast, the 924 is three years too late. Back to the drawing board!
Old 13 Jul 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3106146)   #11
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
So where abouts in Wiltshire are you Brands?
Northern side of Trowbridge.

I do like Combe as it's my local track, plus there are still a few spots to shoot from the public side that aren't fenced off. Seems to be running more classic/historic meetings, which is fine by me (although not all the Combe crowd would agree).
Old 13 Jul 2012, 20:44 (Ref:3106153)   #12
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those interested in the programme

PRE 59' ASTON RACE
HEALEY RACE
PRE 66 JAG RACE
VSCC SPORTCARS RACE
FISCAR 50'S SPORTS/GT RACE
BERNIES V8'S RACE
TWILIGHT INTERMARQUE INVITATION RACE

Lots of Period features, car displays, parade laps etc. etc. Well done CC for doing the "Clubmans Goodwood of the West"
Old 13 Jul 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3106159)   #13
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Al, really looking forward to this meetiing, especially Bernies V8s. If only we get a a good percentage of entries from previous rounds it will be brilliant. You will definitely get much applause from the Quarry spectators ! Perhaps it might have even dried out by then.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3106162)   #14
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
A few more pics from the Press day Not sure which mags covered it but i guess we'll see in the next few days.
Attached Thumbnails
CC120712_0207.JPG   CC120712_0271.JPG   CC120712_0273.JPG  

CC120712_0384.JPG   CC120712_0397.JPG   CC120712_0456.JPG  

Old 13 Jul 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3106163)   #15
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can someone point me to the regs for the pre-66 Jags? I thought JEC were behind it but precious little info on their site and no links for competitors on the CC site.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3106166)   #16
retrognome
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml698 View Post
A few more pics from the Press day Not sure which mags covered it but i guess we'll see in the next few days.
Well we sure did. www.retro-speed.co.uk. The magazines that didn't make the trip missed out. Castle Combe shows that Big is not necessarily Better. Passion will out over profit.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3106169)   #17
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Well we sure did. www.retro-speed.co.uk. The magazines that didn't make the trip missed out. Castle Combe shows that Big is not necessarily Better. Passion will out over profit.[/QUOTE]

Indeed !
Old 13 Jul 2012, 21:36 (Ref:3106172)   #18
retrognome
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Well we sure did. www.retro-speed.co.uk. Castle Combe shows that Big is not necessarily Better.
I felt priviledged to do a lap as passenger in a certain Aston Martin DB2/4
Attached Thumbnails
Castle Combe Autumn Classic  Ten Tenths 006.jpg   Castle Combe Autumn Classic  Ten Tenths 009.jpg  
Old 13 Jul 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3106181)   #19
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by lml698 View Post
Thanks for the shots. Love them. A novel idea for Combe to have a 2-dayer at the end of the season and I really hope it is a success for them. Something for everybody across the 2days. Will possibly have stopped raining by then too !
Old 15 Jul 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3106677)   #20
Pete Stowe
Rookie

Pete Stowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Can someone point me to the regs for the pre-66 Jags? I thought JEC were behind it but precious little info on their site and no links for competitors on the CC site.
It is indeed JEC. I believe something will be going up on their website very soon, but if you contact Terry Dye at JEC he will be able to advise you anyway.

I’m also looking forward to it, a gridfull of V8’s thundering over Avon Rise should be spectacular, and hopefully Marc Campfield (star of the Easter Monday meeting) will be back in the Big Healey race.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3108220)   #21
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
Interesting report on one of the motorsport websites

Castle Combe Circuit launches major new classic event

17th July 2012

The Castle Combe circuit's first meeting exclusively dedicated to vintage, classic and historic racing is gearing up to become an important fixture on the racing calendar.
The Carole Nash Insurance Autumn Classic on Saturday October 6 is already attracting interest from local enthusiasts with 'secret' stables of machinery hitherto unseen in the West Country and from the invited clubs, keen to associate themselves with the 62 year old venue.
Of those, the Vintage Sports Car Club is eagerly awaiting its long overdue return to Castle Combe, where it will run a race for 'Pre War Sports Cars'.
Amongst the promised entries is the wonderful 1934 Talbot 105 Alpine Tourer owned by Stephen Curtis from Westbury.
Stephen has owned the car since 1976 and has competed extensively in it in the UK and on the continent, always driving the car to and from meetings on the road. The car's 6 cylinder, 3.4 litre engine produces 140 bhp, which will power it to 110 mph.
Many of the anticipated entries are for cars with important provenance, such as the 1931 MG C-type Midget which was raced at the legendary French circuit of Monthlery in period and is owned by Barry Foster of Glastonbury. Barry has raced the 747cc supercharged car at venues ranging from Monaco to South Africa.
Races for fifties sports cars, historic Aston Martins, 'Big Healeys', Pre 1960's Jaguars and a variety of V8 machinery are encouraging many other West Country enthusiasts to reveal some of the treasures locked away in their garages. Neil Fender, the owner of three ex-works Triumph TRs, based in Bath said, "It has been very encouraging to hear the ethos behind the Autumn Classic. As a racer and low key classic car dealer I feel so excited to have such an event on our doorstep and we will be supporting it in every way to help make it a success."
A very eagerly awaited race is that for Austin Healey 100s and 3000s, organised by Healey Driver International, whose competitions secretary, Joe Cox, is based in Bristol. He said, "Castle Combe is the spiritual home of big Healeys, because of the efforts of such as John Chatham in the '60's.
The Combe race will feature drivers from Holland, Switzerland, Sweden and Germany as well as the best known UK drivers. They will compete for 'The John Gott Memorial Trophy', kindly sponsored by Bristol Forklifts Ltd, whose boss, Julian Bronson, may also join in, still smiling from his fourth win at the Monaco Classic."
Mark Campbell from Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, the race Director for the Fifties Sports Car Racing Club, said," Several of our drivers, including myself, live in the Cotswolds, so this event is the best possible news for us." Campbell will be racing his ex works Aston Martin DB2, an original un-restored car, which competed at Le Mans.
For further information online, visit the Castle Combe Circuit at www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk, built by racecar