Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 12 Jun 2004, 10:08 (Ref:1001560)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As has been said. The availbility of info on the web makes it somewhat redundant to charge peeps for a viewing and if you get the mag anyway why bother with the website?

Can't see the logic I'm afraid.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 10:13 (Ref:1001565)   #27
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Website has some features which are not in the magazine and it's also updated more than once a week!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 10:17 (Ref:1001569)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So are the other free sites.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 10:18 (Ref:1001570)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Actually another point is that even though I'm not in the UK the last place I go for info on motor sport is Autosport. About the only thing I'd miss is the access to Nigel Roebuck's musings.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 10:27 (Ref:1001578)   #30
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
About the only thing I'd miss is the access to Nigel Roebuck's musings.
Look at your old copies of Autosport, if its not current news then its bound to be a re-hash of an old 5th column. Still a million % better than anything these days tho!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1001634)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The point is, running the website costs money, and that has to be paid for.

Autosport's website is an offshoot of their core business, unlike many motor-racing sites, which are themselves the core business.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1001668)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
KB. I sympathise with them. Yes it costs money but why suddenly discover that point? Surely they've known for a while.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 12:58 (Ref:1001672)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

They've always known that I'm sure, but by offering the site free they've built up a database of clients, while not directly making money from it.

This move is one which many websites will adopt in the coming months and years if sales of traditional print magazines drop off.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1001677)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
So er how much to view my site then?
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:07 (Ref:1001688)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Is it a commercial venture?

Does it have content people want to see?
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1001705)   #36
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Autosport is a business.

Why should they provide their content free of charge?

If your a subscriber to the magazine you can access the website free.
Correct. But the idea is that you get a look at a summary of the article and the better content is in the magazine.

Quote:
The point is, running the website costs money, and that has to be paid for.

Autosport's website is an offshoot of their core business, unlike many motor-racing sites, which are themselves the core business.
It is an offshoot of their core business, so it should be paid for from the receipts from their core business.

Oh well, they mind find that the number of hits they get drops dramatically, but it's of their own design and so their problem.

Last edited by DriverT; 12 Jun 2004 at 13:30.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1001708)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Correct. But the idea is that you get a look at a summary of the article and the better content is in the magazine.
Yes, but up until now they put whole news articles on the website.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1001710)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Does it have content people want to see?
Of course that is the question I ask of Autosport.com
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1001711)   #39
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Yes, but up until now they put whole news articles on the website.
Yep, the whole news articles. Yes indeed. But the features are what were in the magazine. Now they are depriving people of news articles unless they pay for them. It's a bad thing to do when there are so many other F1 news websites out there that provide content of equal or better quality for free.

Up until now, they were holding their own because of their name and the recognition it brings. But this is a bit of a bad move. IMHO
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:36 (Ref:1001713)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

If people were only using the site for news articles and not buying the magazine, Autosport loses nothing by those people going elsewhere.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:36 (Ref:1001714)   #41
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Not advertising revenue then?
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1001715)   #42
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a disappointment for non-British fans. The magazine is hard to find in the States-I have to drive about 50 miles round trip to find a relatively reliable supply-and its nearly $9.00 per copy. I appreciated the website for reliable news, but I really cannot afford to subscribe, so one more news source gets deleted from my favorites.

I understand their desire to get paid for their work, but enough info is available on the web for free, so I suspect that the number of their hits on the site will decline as has been said above.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1001717)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Not advertising revenue then?
The advertising revenue from the website is minimal in the bigger scheme of things.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 13:46 (Ref:1001718)   #44
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
It could easily pay for the website.

Also, they lose readers. This is, I assume, a bad thing for a magazine. If less people read the website, then less are likely to buy a copy of autosport.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1001735)   #45
Kicking-back
Veteran

They will have carefully assessed and researched such things before making this decision.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 14:19 (Ref:1001747)   #46
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a shame, I'll perhaps subscribe next year - if F1 is more interesting.

I'll miss the 'ask Nigel' section.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1001754)   #47
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The main thing I miss from todays Autosports is Roebucks race reports. They're done by Mark Hughes now and are nowhere near as good to be honest. I found his Nurburgring report tedious to say the least....
Old 12 Jun 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1001766)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

I thought Mark Hughes Nurburgring report was a creative way to cover what was essentially a dull race.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1001769)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So you're the person that wrote the complimentary letter to the Autosport letters page in this weeks issue!

Nah, I thought it was a bit Peter Windsory. I used to like Windsors writing style but it gets tiresome after a while. Therefore, I hated Hughes' Nurburgring report. I prefer a dose of Roebuck!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1001771)   #50
Kicking-back
Veteran

Wasn't me!

Roebuck is good, and wrote good race reports too.

Fifth column is one of the first things I turn to - although I do tire of his constant sniping at the government and the like.