Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Mar 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1255074)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Over 12 yrs Old - then pay Up!

MotorSport Vision have announced that their child ticket pricing policy is to change.

"MSV has advised us that they have altered their policy regarding charging for children at MSV race meetings. Children are now classed as 12 and under as opposed to 16 and under. Therefore any team member aged 12 years and over must be in possession of a valid ticket for the meeting."
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1255099)   #2
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is a 13, 14, or 15 year old now allowed into the pit lane? Don't shout "insurance implications" at me"
If they are classed as full paying adults on one hand, surely they can't be classed as a child on the other.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1255106)   #3
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diz - only when they're driving a T-Car, Formula BMW, Ginetta etc! Total hypocrisy isn't it?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1255112)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think you are confusing rules for race entries with rules for spectators.

Personally I don't think lowering the age limit to 12 for spectators is particularly problematical and if teams bring 12-16 year olds to race meetings I wouldn't have thought they would want their offspring in the pit lane anyway due to its inherent danger?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1255114)   #5
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark, you`re a couple of weeks late - it`s only been done in the "How do we increase the gate at race meetings?" thread!!!....
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1255115)   #6
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, but say for example that there's a 45-year-old club racer with a 14-year-old son who is a good mechanic and timekeeper. The 14-year-old would be fully aware of the dangers of the pit lane and act as sensibly as anyone over 16.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1255117)   #7
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Chris Gray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems a bit unfair to charge a 12 year old £12 pounds when as a 20 year old student I can get in for half Price! Surely they must only charge a concessionary rate, after all kids are in education as well.

But the above comments are right, youngsters are considered adults when it is advantagous to classify them as such, and vice versa.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1255118)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Jet Plane
True, but say for example that there's a 45-year-old club racer with a 14-year-old son who is a good mechanic and timekeeper. The 14-year-old would be fully aware of the dangers of the pit lane and act as sensibly as anyone over 16.
Surely then in this case the youngster would get in on one of the teams free tickets?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1255120)   #9
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green

Personally I don't think lowering the age limit to 12 for spectators is particularly problematical and if teams bring 12-16 year olds to race meetings I wouldn't have thought they would want their offspring in the pit lane anyway due to its inherent danger?
Not confusing it at all Stephen. A 13-15 year old is a child, whether accompanying a team, or a spectating parent.
At OP the pit garages appear to be classed as pit lane [I don't know how you class it down at Brands]. They don't allow kiddie winkies in the garage with their mum and dad because of the "inherent danger", even though they would be under some semblance of parental control. They are however happy to allow them to zoom round the paddock on bikes, skate boards, mini motor bikes etc. and being a right pain in the proverbial.
Perhaps you could bring the opinions expressed on the various 'ticket type threads' to the attention of your new best Doctor chum. It would be very interesting to get the reasoning behind the whole ticket reduction and age restrictions his management team are imposing on their clients. All us TT posters can't be wrong.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1255122)   #10
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
Mark, you`re a couple of weeks late - it`s only been done in the "How do we increase the gate at race meetings?" thread!!!....
Thanks Elio.......I just received it from the latest BRSCC newsletter today!!!!
Old 18 Mar 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1255123)   #11
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Surely then in this case the youngster would get in on one of the teams free tickets?
One of the FOUR FREE TICKETS. Mum, Dad [the driver] and two sprogs. Well that's them used up. A mechanic or two will need to pay to get in. As I say above, please ask JP what he is playing at.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1255125)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Jet Plane
Quote:
The argument was that as an adult is now over 12 years old according to MSV, would they be allowed in the pit lane regardless of who pays

Last edited by Tim Falce; 18 Mar 2005 at 12:22.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1255148)   #13
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gray
It seems a bit unfair to charge a 12 year old £12 pounds when as a 20 year old student I can get in for half Price! Surely they must only charge a concessionary rate, after all kids are in education as well.
Is that actually the case? Granted, it's been quite a long time since I paid to get into a circuit (in fact I don't think I have, I was a 'child' before I started marshalling...), but I thought the only concession was for being a child - normally free, occasionally a couple of quid instead of £20...
Old 18 Mar 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1255196)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I do think it's short sighted as these are our potential future paying spectators, drivers or marshals. May I suggest all those who feel strongly address Jonathon Palmer and MSV directly with good reasons, or write to Autosport/MS News.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1255226)   #15
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the gate at most clubbies that should add about 2s 6d to JPs coffers and not a lot for his clubbie supporting stance :-)
Old 18 Mar 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1255236)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it is a shame that they have decided to charge the younger people. A lot of families going will think twice - at least about the number of events they go to.

As for the comparison with children in the pits areas, I think that is false - it is a different situation. Paying to get in to a circuit to watch is different to being in an area where you need a degree of responsibility. JJ Jet Plane, yes there are 14 year olds who take care in those situations, some more than 24, 34, 44, etc.. year olds. A lot don't though. So we have to have to have a cut off - it is sensible. The better alternative to this would be a form of entrance exam/requirements. Perhaps they could put ticket prices or entrance fees up to pay for that?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1255250)   #17
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
As for the comparison with children in the pits areas, I think that is false - it is a different situation. Paying to get in to a circuit to watch is different to being in an area where you need a degree of responsibility. JJ Jet Plane, yes there are 14 year olds who take care in those situations, some more than 24, 34, 44, etc.. year olds. A lot don't though. So we have to have to have a cut off - it is sensible. The better alternative to this would be a form of entrance exam/requirements. Perhaps they could put ticket prices or entrance fees up to pay for that?
I think we're dwelling on this point too much - I'm sure that under 16s will still not be allowed in Pit Lane. And this is rightly so, there has to be a cut off, 16 is a sensible age to make it.

The question we really should be asking is why has this been done? Obviously MSV have their reasons - but judging by feeling so far they appear to have shot themselves in their foot.

Another note is that I believe there still is (officially) a limit on the age people are allowed to go the circuit on their own (again, rightly so). This is that you have to be over 16 - which, I believe, is probably one reason why the age was under 16 as they'd have to enter with a full paying adult anyway! Now the ticket age limit has been lowered, is the right to enter age limit also being lowered? Or is it just ensuring that if a 14 year old kid wants to go and watch racing it now costs double what it once did?
Old 18 Mar 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1255329)   #18
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please note that it is not only the child age that has been changed...the concessions for OAP's and the disabled is to be removed. I think that it is a disgrace...a dad and his 13 and 15 year old changed their mind at the brands gate when asked to cough up the money. This is going to lose spectators and is no way going to encourage families.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1255335)   #19
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
Please note that it is not only the child age that has been changed...the concessions for OAP's and the disabled is to be removed. I think that it is a disgrace...a dad and his 13 and 15 year old changed their mind at the brands gate when asked to cough up the money. This is going to lose spectators and is no way going to encourage families.
I've already had a rant over this subject on the other thread and did take my 14 year old son to Brands last Saturday..............apart from the CSMA and the Superprix that will be the last time this season ( we normally do 8-10 Brands meetings a year).
It is going to be interesting at the first major bike and car events, BTCC for one, when parents suddenly realise that they need to find an extra £25 for one or more of their 13-15 years.

I didn't realise the OAP and disabled concessions have been binned as well but I'm not surprised........
Old 18 Mar 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1255338)   #20
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Since 13-15 year olds are now classed as adults( thankfully only at Palmer's circuits) surely they are entitled to go anywhere an adult can.............I wonder what would happen if someone dropped off a coach full of 13 year olds, would Palmer allow them in unsupervised ?
Old 19 Mar 2005, 00:47 (Ref:1255643)   #21
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose Palmer has got big plans for his circuits, and the money needs to come from somewhere.

I certainly agree about young people in the pitlane, it's common sense, whether they have paid or not is nothing to do with it.

I'm not that bothered, it doesn't really affect me, and I did have a free weekend at Oulton last year (they thought my student card was a season ticket... )
Old 19 Mar 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1256153)   #22
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its a disgrace charging for kids over 12, now a person who cant leave the younger ones at home (due to added costs) has to take them or not go-I know what I would do! If you see no harm in it Steve will you now allow 12 year old marshalls & photographers behind the barriers as they are classed as adults afterall?
Old 19 Mar 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1256266)   #23
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't see the relevance between an entry and pricing policy laid down by a limited company and circuit owner on the regulations governing UK motorsport laid down by the governing body (MSA)? Isn't it a bit like saying a bus company charges adult fares at 14 so a person over 14 who has to pay an adult fare to get to a polling station should be able to vote when they get there?

I don't think it's a good pricing policy, but if you're going to argue that, then argue it on its merits.

As to the point about garages being pit lane or not, the MSA regs state that garages are part of the pit lane and therefore under 16's are not allowed (there is now some wording relating to 15 year old drivers I think but I don't have a blue book to hand) you will often find that pit marshals will not enforce this if a child/children are in a garage and appear to be being well supervised, if you try to argue the toss about it you'll probably find your child excluded from both in line with the regulations. With regard to the point re paddock bikes etc., AFAIK final instructions for all circuits and clubs state that children shouldn't ride these in the paddock etc., Whether parents chose to adhere to the rules is a different story.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1256366)   #24
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Is that actually the case? Granted, it's been quite a long time since I paid to get into a circuit (in fact I don't think I have, I was a 'child' before I started marshalling...), but I thought the only concession was for being a child - normally free, occasionally a couple of quid instead of £20...
True, at least at the circuits I've been to. I didn't start paying at all til I was 18, since I look(ed) reasonably young. Obviously I couldn't do that when driving - try turning up in your car and arguing you're a child!

Still, free kids was always the case at club meetings, and I think at BTCC as well (pre-2000 anyway).
Old 19 Mar 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1256367)   #25
Chris Gray
Racer

England
Lincolnshire
Oh, and if you look on the MSV website they do still have a concessions rate I do believe. Whether that now applies only to unborn babies and dead people I can't comment...

Last edited by Chris Gray; 19 Mar 2005 at 23:13.