Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 3 Sep 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1085924)   #1
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Questions from a GPL noob....

Ok, from the thread title, you might have guessed that I've taken the plunge and gone for GPL.

I've not got a wheel, (haven't got the space), but I do have an adaptor to let me use my R/C controllers on the PC, opening up electronic-controlled TC, ABS , steering curves and rates, as well was basic trim functions.

Here comes the questions....

1. What is hotlapping?
2. I have a key on the keyboard set up for the clutch, but when I press it, it doesn't seem to work, was the car still moves when I apply power.
3. Are there any mod which change the cars? All I've found are tracks (I have a few downloaded now), and '65 etc cars. I mean classic touring or sportscars from the '60s.

More questions soon no doubt.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1085945)   #2
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oi, no electronic aids are allowed! The only electronics you'll find is inside the distributor cap.

Well, here goes:

1. Hotlapping is just you and the track, trying to set the fastest possible time you can. Your times determine your GPL Rank (sign up here). Trying to shave 10ths and even 100ths can become an obsession.

2. I'm not sure, but check that throttle and gear help are off. If they're on that may be it. If they are on, turn them off now! You'll just have to re-learn how to drive the cars if you don't. That goes for braking help too.

3. For GPL only the '65 mod has been released. I believe there is a '55 mod in the pipeline. pirenzo will know. As for tracks there are absolutely shedloads available.

Welcome to the fold. The satisfaction from driving this sim well is something else (or so I've been told. I've yet to drive 'well').

Last edited by Spudgun; 3 Sep 2004 at 13:54.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1085951)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your clutch only works in manual gearbox.

The mods (those that include altered physics) currently in development (in rough order of completion) are:

'69 Highwing mod
Caterham mod*
'55 mod
'37 GP Titans
Sportscar/Can-Am
1970 Mod
USAC mod

that's everything I think

(*really more of a bit of fun, but the physics exist and a car is being built)
Old 3 Sep 2004, 14:06 (Ref:1085953)   #4
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everyone should have a pirenzo. An encyclopedia of knowledge.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1085963)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
Everyone should have a pirenzo. An encyclopedia of knowledge.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1086924)   #6
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pity nobody's doing a Touring Car mod, the Mini's versus Camaros and Cortinas would have been fantastic.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 21:24 (Ref:1086962)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear Mr. Pirenzo,

Would you please point me to a webpage with instructions on how to paint a GPL car?

Thanks,

Muzza
Old 4 Sep 2004, 21:46 (Ref:1086975)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
Dear Mr. Pirenzo,

Would you please point me to a webpage with instructions on how to paint a GPL car?

Thanks,

Muzza
Well, I can point you to a page that shows you how to paint your name on a car, and you can use that to do the rest.

Go to www.gplpp.com then go to How To > 21 Car Stuff > 10 Other Car Stuff > Your Private Car

I'd advise you to look at other people's skins to see how all the shading and stuff is painted on if you're wanting to start from scratch but doing so will be time consuming.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1843958)   #9
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
since this is the newst gpl thread search pulled up, i suppose ill be using this one. how do you save a replay? i presume its the "export" button, but, when i went to view replays only the preloaded replays were there.

i managed to do a 1.33.09 with a lotus with default set up and 8 laps of fuel, but, im guessing i lost the replay.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 01:42 (Ref:1845120)   #10
Es Nes
Veteran

to add to my above post, i cant seem to race. i can drive by myself in training, but, no single racing. WC seems to be okay.

Last edited by Es Nes; 19 Feb 2007 at 01:44.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 14:13 (Ref:1845536)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
There's a sort of 'cut and save' feature in GPL's replay screen.
Move the the start of your lap, press and then <CUT should appear in the bottom of the screen.
Move to the end of the lap (either by scanning directly to it, or by watching the replay through, it doesn't matter) and press again. A save dialogue will appear for you to type in the replay name.

I've never come across your single race problem though. What exactly happens?
Old 19 Feb 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1845818)   #12
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Should I ask where you managed to get the button images from?
Old 20 Feb 2007, 01:25 (Ref:1845985)   #13
Es Nes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
There's a sort of 'cut and save' feature in GPL's replay screen.
Move the the start of your lap, press and then <CUT should appear in the bottom of the screen.
Move to the end of the lap (either by scanning directly to it, or by watching the replay through, it doesn't matter) and press again. A save dialogue will appear for you to type in the replay name.

I've never come across your single race problem though. What exactly happens?
thanks

the game crashes as soon as i would hit the track either driving or watching. the problem seems to do with d3d since as soon as i switched to openGL thing everything was alright. though, id like to get a .dat creator and clean up my car folders. i need to find some additional cars. i got all of gplea cars, but, i still have a few "ugly"s.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1846654)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun
Should I ask where you managed to get the button images from?
I don't know, should you?
I couldn't think how else to unambiguously describe them so I thought little images would be the best way

There are a few dat creators about:
http://gpllinks.org/ has links for the two best ones, DooDAT and DATman, plus many other links.

I've had an idea that your crashing problem could be to do with have 16bit driver arm textures. 4bit arms are included in all the GPLEA downloads.
A properly tweaked OpenGL rasterizer is the way to go though, if you've got a gfx card that can run it properly. Search RSC for advice on setting your OpenGL settings correctly for GPL.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 00:21 (Ref:1846881)   #15
Es Nes
Veteran

thanks once again

question #3 or whatever - so far the best track site ive found is The Alternative GPL Track Database which refers to ether GPL++ The Addons which has a bunch of small updates like grass, armcos, etc, but, no big update patch. the other redirects are to forums threads which has left me scaning through random threads to find yet more small patches. is there anywhere to download just one download that will countain one nice, clean .dat file or at least all the indivual files?

J. Ickx, j. bonnier, j. rindt, p. rodriguez, and j. siffert are also in need of updated cars.