Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Dec 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1478814)   #1
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams sign up to Concorde Agreement

Interesting news, but perhaps doesn't come as much of a surprise, after losing backing from BMW.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16002.html

I wonder if this will have implications with Williams sourcing Toyota engines for '08?
Old 7 Dec 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1478836)   #2
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many teams have now signed up?
Old 7 Dec 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1478862)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
That's five now,Ferrari,RBR,STR,MF1 and Williams,who need the money.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1478863)   #4
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah

Last edited by Halsey; 7 Dec 2005 at 12:15. Reason: martyn beat me to it!
Old 7 Dec 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1478916)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey

I wonder if this will have implications with Williams sourcing Toyota engines for '08?
Yeah does pose a question.

However Sir Frank must have had that in mind when making the decision.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1478933)   #6
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the manufacturer's don't sign up I don't think Williams will have a problem in 08. F1 will be run on Ferrari and Cosworth engines. And with Ferrari probably not being able to produce that many engines - cosworth will pick up the slack and with the $ from probably 7 or 8 teams, they could churn out a pretty decent engine.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1478987)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Its only a matter of time... One by one, they will sign on.

Forza F1!!!!
Old 7 Dec 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1478990)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's still basically Ferrari plus the non-manufacturer teams V the other manufacturers, so we could be some way off from a resolution. Williams signing up is no surprise, and probably thed most logical move for them at this juncture.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1479064)   #9
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the Williams' signing was just a matter of time. I also think that the Manufacturers will sign up too at the end. I think they are just bargaining for more money
Old 8 Dec 2005, 04:06 (Ref:1479380)   #10
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's very much a case of who blinks last, with Bernie holding the upper hand but the GPMA has some strong cards and resolve. But I think they'll sign on eventually, once the deal is right.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 07:22 (Ref:1479437)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do hope they sign up fast, because i'm sick of all the hypocritical statements issued by GPMA "objective...benefit ...in particular the fans".

All the hot air and big talk, it's simply down to wanting to squeeze more cash and control for THEMSELVES.

They (led by a couple of teams) complain of unfair FIA treatment and want equality. So how better to acheive "fairness" than to doubt everything not in their favor and pressure FIA to make changes to the appeal courts? So fairness is now defined as "things are only fair if it's in the manufacturers favour" huh?

It's telling that even Frank Williams note that the GPMA is causing "damaging uncertainty over" F1. These manufacturers, some who just recently join (Toyota) or rejoin (BMW, Honda - who leave without caring 2 hoots about F1 because it's better for their own company) risk F1 simply for their own gain. FIA may not be perfect, far from it... but i rather believe in the lesser of the two evils.

It's interesting to note that GPMA's approach to improving the sports is to make DEMANDS to the FIA and making plans of alternative series to THREATEN F1. FIA on the otherhand gets the blame and stick for actually WORKING to establish proposals and ideas (qualifying and new regulations/reforms/surveys/etc) to reorganize F1.

One talks the talk. The other speaks with actions.

When did GPMA ever ask what fans wanted.

On the fair side, i believe that in any system, there shouldn't be a dictator or dominanting system that see no opposition. Oppositions help to keep the dominant power in check and to push for improvment. But i just think GPMA is the wrong way about it. They are not even honest about the intentions, work behind disguise of it's true purpose, and gives more talk than action.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1479479)   #12
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I think you will find Toyota will be the next one to sign...
Old 8 Dec 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1479739)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, i believe that to be the case too.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1479764)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before Williams signed to Bridgestone I would have that Toyota would have been the likeliest next candidates.

A surprising, yet predictable move from Williams, and I would expect Toyota to follow suit quite swiftly.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1479766)   #15
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are you sure it will be toyota next?
Old 8 Dec 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1479840)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Bridgestone connection is the only thing differnetiating them from the other GPMA teams, and I'm not sure that's significant enough to affect their thinking.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1479945)   #17
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
The Bridgestone connection is the only thing differnetiating them from the other GPMA teams, and I'm not sure that's significant enough to affect their thinking.
... and maybe the fact that there will be a GP in FuJI!!
Old 8 Dec 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1479990)   #18
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get Toyota on board and Honda will surely follow (or vice versa). The Japanese giants will be the key to getting everyone signed up to the new Concorde Agreement and like mentioned above, a Fuji GP guarentee might just sway Toyota into signing.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1480024)   #19
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota are one of the newest teams, they've had a lot of help from Bernard E. and have just joined Bridgestone. The F1 vs. GPWC spat is basically the Bridgestone teams versus the Michelin teams: if you change your tyre supplier that's a big statement to make.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1480047)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Bull and Toro Rosso are on Michelins
Old 9 Dec 2005, 00:55 (Ref:1480117)   #21
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt much more will happen until Sept next year when the GPMA agreement lapses, then it may get interesting...
Old 9 Dec 2005, 02:59 (Ref:1480167)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I thought STR were on Bridgestones; when did they anounce Michelins?

I've clearly missed that.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1480229)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Quote:"F1 vs. GPWC spat is basically the Bridgestone teams versus the Michelin teams"

Slight clarification. It's a manufacturers vs FIA issue.

Michelin with it's relationship with the manufacturers, and with their spat against FIA is properly placed to extend that strained relationship.

Bridgestone, as a strong technical partner of Ferrari, aligns themselves with FIA. However, that doesn't make it a problem if Michelin teams decide to switch over to FIA's side. By any rate, we're moving towards a single tyres manufacturer, and with Bridgestone holding a high chance in being the lone supplier, it's no surprise that teams like Williams and Toyota, who are sooner or later on FIA's side, make the switch earlier to get in some miles with BS. And Williams is going to use Toyota engines next year..arn't they? I can't see that partnership lasting just 1 season.

With Toyota in it, effectively the GPMA is a dead concept. That's why it's evolving constantly, despite taking a hardline in the public, to save itself face comes the day it collapse. I can just imagine the statement "we believe we've contributed and fought for the improvement of F1 and its always our intention to promote this outcome for the best of everyone".

If i'm not mistaken, yes, STR will run on Michelins. Red Bull Racing wants STR on Michelins, and Michelin can't say no due to the 60% rule. Strange as they must really be betting on Michelin staying in F1 for long, or believe that short term Michelin provides a bigger chance of success. At any rate, Michelin isn't too pleased with Red Bull for the against Michelin's votes in recent meetings regarding tyre regulations.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1480237)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I thought STR were on Bridgestones; when did they anounce Michelins?

I've clearly missed that.

Last week
Old 9 Dec 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1480596)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks.

:-)