Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Oct 2003, 00:51 (Ref:745814)   #1
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre Race Tension - Love it

Don't you just love the driver and team battles that go with the Bathurst race buildup. Who rates who, who thinks who stinks, who thinks who can outdo who etc etc..........

Anyway, from herald sun today ...........

THERE was a cat fight in the Holden lion pen yesterday. There were Fords to fight, but Greg Murphy and Mark Skaife turned on each other after the opening practice session for the Bob Jane T-Marts Bathurst 1000.

Murphy set the pace with an absolutely cracking lap in 2min 8.32sec, with defending Bathurst champion Mark Skaife only third quickest and more than a second behind.
Skaife said he could have gone quicker if he had used brand-new Dunlop tyres, like Murphy – a swipe which set off the spat.

"I love the fact that Skaifey's riled. Did you hear him?," Murphy said. "He's riled. I love it. He hates it when I'm faster."

Skaife hit back as quickly as he does when he's chasing pole position.

"What sort of ****er would say that? Did he really say that?," Skaife said.

But Murphy also predicted his rival would be forced to respond today with a time at least as good as his opening run in the K mart Commodore yesterday afternoon.

"Sure thing he's going to do an eight as well tomorrow. But we're not going to give up," Murphy said.

And Skaife took the bait.

"Will I do an eight tomorrow? No doubt about that.

"And it will want to be a fair bit better than an 8.2 (Murphy's time) on new rubber."

While the two Commodore contenders were flaunting their pace, David Besnard split then with a surprisingly pacey lap in his Ford Performance Vehicles Falcon.

He said he was happy with his time, although he admitted making a couple of mistakes during the day.

"My hot lap was a bit ragged. And I had a spin before that lap. I got the wrong gear going into the Chase," Besnard said.

Still, he was happy to top the Falcon fighters, ahead of John Bowe in fourth and Paul Radisich in sixth.

"You've got to have a go. The car is still pretty new," Besnard said.

Bowe was first onto the track yesterday in the OzEmail Falcon and chipped away steadily to make the car easier to drive, while Garth Tander was smiling for the first time this year after clocking the fifth-quickest time in his Valvoline Commodore.

"We're really happy. But we've still got a bit of work to do," Tander said.

"This car is definitely the best car I've ever driven around here. And it will be better tomorrow."

The big surprise was the slow time clocked by Marcos Ambrose, who has been the V8 Supercar pacesetter all year and leads the championship series.

He was only 13th fastest in the Stone Brothers Falcon.

So it's Murphy at the moment, with a car he likes and likes to drive, despite a couple of miscues while searching for speed.

"I had a quick spin at the end. And I ran across the Chase before my quick lap. But there was no damage," Murphy said.

"It feels great across the top of the mountain.

"(But) we're not dumb enough to think that because we had a good car today that we're going to run up the front.

"We've got more work to do."

Last edited by Dazz; 10 Oct 2003 at 00:52.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 03:07 (Ref:745862)   #2
A9X05
Racer

A9X05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ego vs Ego, The "Gee! mines bigger than yours" talk is a bit childish, The race is Sunday boys dont forget! In saying that though, I noticed that Ambrose/Ingall havent been talking big and I like the consertive, race setup they are talking about. If they did qualify 10-15th it wouldnt be a big deal the race will be from lap 120 on anyway I am like the Brock talk, for the good of the sport, Go S.B.R.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 04:23 (Ref:745873)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all came to nought anyway - whilse Skaife was on top, he was still in the 9's.....
Old 10 Oct 2003, 04:32 (Ref:745876)   #4
Dazz
Veteran

Didn't Skaife do a 2:08.32 in the last session to Murph's 2:09.00?
Old 10 Oct 2003, 04:40 (Ref:745880)   #5
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It appears any Holden that beats Skaife need to stay out of Skaife's way what I can't understand is why is Skaife is Channel 10's darling haven't they looked at the players popularity polls.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 04:51 (Ref:745885)   #6
Dazz
Veteran

I guess there are two ways to read it. It sounded to me as if it was Murph shooting his mouth off initially, not Skaife.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 04:52 (Ref:745886)   #7
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't help Skaifes image though Dazz...

I hope Murph outqualifies him though, that'd p1ss him off !!
Old 10 Oct 2003, 05:00 (Ref:745892)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From qualifying:

51 Greg Murphy 2:07.9503
Old 10 Oct 2003, 05:01 (Ref:745893)   #9
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Skaife that used the expletive so it depends on who can stay cool and at that time it was Murphy who was fastest.