Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Sep 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1412286)   #151
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Paul,

Reading my post again, I think we are actually pretty much in agreement here, aren't we? If they applied the letter of the ruling to Goodwood they would probably have to clear most of the circuit which would, in effect eliminate air displays there, altogether. Thinking through what you have said, makes me wonder whether in fact what we saw was indeed a 'sensible' and cooperative solution, i.e. endeavouring to comply with a ruling which would be difficult to apply properly without the loss of the air displays altogether. As I said, a small price to pay to keep them going. The trouble with any legislation and/or rulings is that they tend to be 'catch-all' rather than specific. That's why the old car and plane movement is having problems with European Legislation that probably never intended them as their primary target them in the first place.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment on the helicopters. I also agree that because of the nature of the event, the Goodwood Revival is not the safest of venues for all the reasons we have discussed. However, if Goodwood is 'seen' to be complying with what is required, it perhaps ensures the longer survival of certain aspects of the weekend than would otherwise be the case.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1412388)   #152
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This situation is far more dangerous than any air display!

Great pics BTW Andrew.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1412433)   #153
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was briefly with Derek Lawson (marshal, author of the history of Oulton Park and occasional 10-Tenther), who was responsible for one section of the paddock area where some of the older racing cars were parked. In that short space of time he diplomatically requested two people to refrain from smoking - one was actually leaning over a very expensive piece of machinery which no doubt ran on some very lethal mix of fuel. Apparently, not an unusual occurrence. Talk about lack of awareness or safety. Hope the guy in the photo wasn't one of them, Peter! Oh, wait, it's a steward, so it's Ok if the car falls off the stand and runs him over? What function does that blue hose serve, I wonder?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1412460)   #154
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember my old man back in the 60s, always had a roll up in mouth, fuel churn in both hands filling the race car up! Dangerous yes but I never remember a fire fortunately. Closest was a big blow-back from a holley carb on a V8 one day, lost his eyebrows. The guy standing in the photo is I think like my father, a mechanic.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1412511)   #155
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was another fantastic weekend. Best day for racing is now probably Saturday - although everyday was extremely busy. The flow of Sunday was rather lost with the incidents in the afternoon, but still a cracking event. The sight of Hardman in the Aston with lights ablaze sliding through Woodcote will live with me however..

Hopefully the Goodwood estate are already aware of the issues raised in this thread and will act on them next year (roll on).
Old 20 Sep 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1412514)   #156
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
The guy standing in the photo is I think like my father, a mechanic.
Fair enough but that practice is specifically banned by the Blue book and I've no doubt it is also the same under FIA regs. I dread to think what would happen to the event if that bloke had just stepped sideways!.

Anyway not meaning to be a killjoy here just that its a good example of how we should all be aware of our environment. (Says he who stepped on his reading glasses at work today).
Old 21 Sep 2005, 06:47 (Ref:1412814)   #157
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel
The sight of Hardman in the Aston with lights ablaze sliding through Woodcote will live with me however.
Dan, you are so right. You should have seen him through St Mary's! This is, for me, one of the great sights of historic racing every year. My favourite sports car from the 50's with one of my favourite drivers. Truly wonderful to watch.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1412817)   #158
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
The guy standing in the photo is I think like my father, a mechanic.
Yes, if you enlarge the picture several times you can make out the 'ME' on the armband which confirms this - clean hands for a mechanic! Still seems pretty dodgy standing in direct line of a fast revolving wheel though, and as Peter says a breach of the blue book is not a particularly good example to set, particularly at such a high profile event.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1412840)   #159
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes but as long as I can remember seeing these old cars since the 60s ( I'm only 46), such as ERA's, on the stands being warmed up, it has always been this way, mechanics around but never ever of course touching a revolving wheel. The mechanic knows it is there, he knows it is spinning, same as an aircraft mechanic with the prop! I have never known of an accident in the paddock with this practice - anyone? You should see the top fuel dragsters then! Same thing, jacked up with the huge wide slicks spinning at a tremendous rate as the motors are warmed but in addition eyes stinging for yards around from the nitro. It is just common sense, don't touch a wheel that is spinning. Or is common sence no longer allowed in the blue book either like most other things in the modern cotton wool life?
Old 21 Sep 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1412879)   #160
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Andrew, you look only 36, but sound like 76, you old reactionary ...... only joking! I take your point but as there are many dangers in life which we can do nothing about, where we can, we should. When Jackie Stewart launched his safety campaign all those years ago he was castigated in some quarters but all he was really saying was that motor racing was inherently dangerous and will always be so, so lets not add to those dangers and tackle those that we can avoid or minimise. The trouble with commonsense is that a lot of people don't use it, which is why we get rules and legislation, leading ultimately to the 'nanny' state which you so roundly criticise. I sympathise with your view but why cross the road when there is a pedestrian crossing 10 metres away? Why leave your seatbelt off when wearing it might save your life? Why stand in line and close to a revolving wheel when one step away will substantially reduce the risk of accidental injury. They are all examples of the same thing. These are not the calculated risks that a racing driver takes when he choses to race; they indicate a lack of care or thought, in fact, a lack of the very commonsense you allude to.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 08:22 (Ref:1412885)   #161
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Although I would never be anywhere but towards the tail-end of the grid with my car's engine size and BHP, I had a truly memorable tussle with a couple of cars, and was 'chased' the whole way round. I beat the cars I wanted to beat, and beat the best 'Revival time' by an SZ by 1 second, so for me I beat my targets. James W (SZRacer)
Back to topic! James, I had intended to say this earlier, but what a pretty car and well driven. It was a great dice and from that point of view it didn't matter where you were on the grid, did it?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 07:48 (Ref:1413671)   #162
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Back to topic! James, I had intended to say this earlier, but what a pretty car and well driven. It was a great dice and from that point of view it didn't matter where you were on the grid, did it?
Awww! Thanks, John. As you say, as long as you can have a 'race' with someone, that's the important thing. In a race with no classes, I was never going to beat, for instance, an MGB with a 2.1l engine and >200BHP.....

...which does make me think, if I ever did get another Goodwood entry, should I be 'good' and stick to my FIA-homologated engine size?? seems like a lot of people don't!

Regards,

James W
Old 22 Sep 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1413811)   #163
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irrespective of new CAA rules about air displays, the most alarming thing I saw was during the P47 solo display on Saturday; he went up into a big loop over the field, and as he got to the top he met..............a glider!

(I think maybe the P47 changed his display plan after that; the glider kept blithely circling in the thermal until he got the height he wanted and pushed off.)

But don't those dipsticks read their NOTAMs? Did he not take his thumb out of his b*m for long enough to look out of his cockpit and notice that there was a busy airfield below? Or am I completely wrong and you can glide anywhere as long as you are in the height bracket above the display and below commercial lanes?

Paul M
Old 22 Sep 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1413859)   #164
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Awww! Thanks, John. As you say, as long as you can have a 'race' with someone, that's the important thing. In a race with no classes, I was never going to beat, for instance, an MGB with a 2.1l engine and >200BHP.....

...which does make me think, if I ever did get another Goodwood entry, should I be 'good' and stick to my FIA-homologated engine size?? seems like a lot of people don't!

Regards,

James W
James, being a spectator, I'm unaware of such things! Are you saying that the engine sizes published in the programme are inaccurate or simply that Goodwood accepts non FIA-homologated engines. If it's the latter and a matter of public record, I guess it is O.K, but if not, you may be opening a can of worms!
Old 22 Sep 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1413863)   #165
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca
Irrespective of new CAA rules about air displays, the most alarming thing I saw was during the P47 solo display on Saturday; he went up into a big loop over the field, and as he got to the top he met..............a glider!

(I think maybe the P47 changed his display plan after that; the glider kept blithely circling in the thermal until he got the height he wanted and pushed off.)

But don't those dipsticks read their NOTAMs? Did he not take his thumb out of his b*m for long enough to look out of his cockpit and notice that there was a busy airfield below? Or am I completely wrong and you can glide anywhere as long as you are in the height bracket above the display and below commercial lanes?

Paul M
Yes, I noted that. I could barely believe my eyes. The glider disappeared into cloud but I kept my eyes on that area and noted that the airspace above him was being criss-crossed by aircraft albeit at different heights - a very busy place!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1416528)   #166
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
that car is well known to have a 2.2 (not 2.1!) engine but as the owner is a major sponsor of a series it gets entries.....
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:38 (Ref:1416562)   #167
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

...yes, it seems that there are a lot of cars running with non-standard engine capacities. Scrutineering is, at best slighlty cursory at Goodwood, and I guess a lot of regular competitors know that. A good example was my mate Andrew Thorogood's Alfa Giulietta Ti at last year's Revival meeting, with 2-litre instead of 1300cc engine!

Regards,

James W
P.S. Watched the Revival meeting on ITV yesterday afternoon. Good coverage but not even a mention of the fordwater Trophy. Guess I'm near the bottom of the food chain!!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:45 (Ref:1416571)   #168
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andrew's Super he normally runs is a 1970's one and the GTA he ran this year a 69 1300 Junior with 1600 engine shoehorned in! Which is why I cant understand why his cars are so slow!!!!!
The Lotus Cortina with the Asian pro driver (cant remember his name) had a hooky engine as well. Rob Hartley is a very quick driver and his car is proper FIA and he couldnt get near it.....
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1417126)   #169
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes that MGB was out at Spa this weekend. Technically I think its quite interesting but I don't think it should be running in any "historic" class regardless of the money the bloke pays. However I mentioned the Ford "Motorsport" block which wasn't made nitl the 70's rnning in Falcons and Galaxies.

I also spotted that glider.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1417900)   #170
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
its a well known fact a lot ofcars don't run to homologated rules even if they have papers, amongst competitirs it also a well known fact that a lot of cars are specially hot rodded for goodwood as its such a big event, and not just engines. what grates with some people is the fact they requested FiA compliant cars and then invite well known rodders !
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1430924)   #171
nikbj68
Rookie

United Kingdom
Anlgesey, N.Wales
nikbj68 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminsh
I know of at least one person who has been asked not to race this year for his win at all cost mentality !
`S funny that.... when asked why he wouldn`t be attending, the 'gentleman' in question apparently mumbled about "...pressing family commitments..."
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1430949)   #172
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Seems fair enough; he's hardly going to give the real reason. Incidentally, he was an entrant at Goodwood in the Glover trophy with a rather fine driver on board!

Welcome nikbj68; hope you enjoy 10-Tenths.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1430955)   #173
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I echo John's welcome to ten-tenths
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1431146)   #174
nikbj68
Rookie

United Kingdom
Anlgesey, N.Wales
nikbj68 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the warm welcome, gents! I`ve been lurking for a fair while, but finally registered with my works email address. (I`m one of those ghastly yahoo oiks!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COOPERMAN
....does anyone know wheather you can get hold of the team shelby cobra shirts(blue with cobra on back) they looked so retro and cool!!
Cooperman, you could try Tony Branda`s Shelby & Mustang emporium for this:

Fifty five of those American bucks, unless you need the "sleeps 4" XXL @ $59.95!

Having failed to make it to the Rev, I looked forward to the ITV coverage, but I thought it was dreadful this year....I can`t imagine the Goodwood folk being too happy with it, unless it will help boost sales of the 'official' DVD, which I`m sure will be at all good outlets in time for Christmas.
(I hope so, I got a pressure washer last year )