Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Oct 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1432847)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes indeed, thanks all! I obviously didn't look hard enough at the entries to the other races! It finished 7th by the way, in this 37 lap race. Great photos too, but now looking at the different angles, it sort of hints at 215 rather than 214, so perhaps it is a new replica rather than the Lawrence car - can't swear to it though. Gorgeous anyway, to my eyes!
Old 13 Oct 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1432962)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!

A bit grainy but this one comes from the Goodwood Revival. Is it the same car?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1433024)   #28
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely not unless the car had a complete makeover.

Play 'spot the difference'. Wing mirrors, wipers, indicator colour, yellow stripes, bonnet vents, etc.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1433067)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter, as carrera says, no, there are quite substantial differences. 'Your' car is the real deal. This is Project 212, built in 1962 and driven by Graham Hill and Ritchie Ginther at Le Mans, that year. Hill snatched the lead briefly at the beginning and even regained the lead a bit later before the first refuelling stop. After various problems it gradually dropped to 9th before retiring after 79 laps. One of the problems was high speed instability on the Mulsanne which led to the addition of the chopped Kamm style rear end which it still carries (as do 214 & 215). This is the most illustrious of the short series of Aston Project cars of that period. It attended Le Mans practice in 1963 whilst 215 was being readied but thereafter was relegated to secondary events but it was out regularly for many years in the hands of Mike Salmon (and owned by Viscount Downe), winning the Classic Car Championship in 1974. It has appeared at most of the Goodwood Revival meetings and was actually placed on pole in 1999 by one Martin Brundle in a time of 1.27.635, a time which has, I believe, never been bettered in that event by a front engined GT since the beginning of the Revival. Sadly and very much to his own chagrin, Gary Pearson, Martin's co driver, had a big accident in practice and the car was unable to start what was its best chance of winning the TT. It appeared again at Goodwood this year in the hands of the current owner, Wolfgang Friedrichs, and David Clark. It is probably my favourite competition car of all time and is not the car driven by the same drivers plus Simon Hadfield to win the Spa 6 hours this year. This latter car is clearly a replica based either on 214 or 215 (now they are quite similar to look at!).

Thanks for posting the picture Peter; I just love that car.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1433093)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the story John. Actually I knew it was different. It was the last pic I took at Goodwood (because it was the end of my films). I had intended catching the Zagato in the same race, but pressed the shutter at the wrong time.

However its almost as sexy as the Z.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1433491)   #31
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Its two cars.Mr Friedrichs owns them both
Old 14 Oct 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1433714)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Actually I knew it was different.
O.K, Peter, I believe you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Is it the same car?
No, really, I do believe you! You were just trying to wind me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rushton
Its two cars.Mr Friedrichs owns them both
Yes, a very lucky man! I know it has probably got lost in all the discussion, but I hope I conveyed that I had established the status and ownership fairly early on. My initial concern was the inaccuracy of the reporting around the Spa Winning car. Now it's about its origins. Is it a new replica, or the 214 Replica built for Lawrence some years ago? I discovered last night that the AMOC describe it as a Project styled DB4GT. I admit I'm a bit of an anorak (or should that be 'bore'?) when it comes to the Project Astons.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 16:37 (Ref:1433763)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No really I did know it was different.

Another difference appears to be the "grill". However someone said the same car was at Goodwood but I don't recall a 214/5 at that event.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1433797)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes only 212 at Goodwood this year, but on previous occasions we have had both 215 and the remaining original 214. In fact, looking at the 2001 programme, I am reminded that all 3 were entered that year. That reminds me, did I say I loved these cars, already?