Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 22 May 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3251738)   #1
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
speedy27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canon 1D 4 versus 1DX and 5D Mk3

Help needed, please!

I use the Canon 1D4 for motorsport and am very happy with it insofar as auto focus performance is concerned. Far from perfect, but very good, imo. I am getting a second body and am stuck choosing between the 5D Mk 3 and the 1DX. Optically, there is nothing (that worries me) to choose between them, BUT I don't want to take a step back in terms of missed focus shots from the 1D4.

I'm therefore keen to hear from anyone who has used the 1D4 as well as either (or both!) the 1DX and 5D3 for motorsport as regards (i) how the 1DX and 5D3 compare to each other in terms of auto focus accuracy and (ii) how either or both of these bodies compare to the 1D4.

I typically shoot single frame, so the amount of shots per second is not what I'm looking to rely on in the hope of getting more in focus pics!

IF anyone reading this has directly experienced any of these camera's trackside, your thoughts would be appreciated as regards the above.

Many thanks!

Last edited by speedy27; 22 May 2013 at 17:03.
Old 22 May 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3251756)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I've not used either in anger, I have spoken to many people and the general consensus is that the AF system on the 1DX is ab-sol-utely- SUPERB and these are people using 1D series or Nikon equivalents, and has convinced several photographers who rely on AF for their genres of photography to make the expensive switch back to Canon after a dalliance with Nikon following the much publicised problems with the 1D Mk III AF system.

The 5D3's AF system is derived from the 1DX's system and I understand it to be very good as well. I know the 5D3 runs at a lower battery voltage to the 1DX and this can mean that some lenses aren't as quick to AF as a 1DX would in the same circumstances. I have seen an increasing number of 5D3's in the field and at roughly half the price of a 1DX some people obviously considered the saving to be sufficient to risk despite not being hewn from rock in the same way that a 1D is.

There are a lot more options to tweak on the new AF systems over previous iterations so may take a test event before you get the AF system configured to your particular liking and a good read of the manuals (which you can download from Canon USA website) in advance.
Old 22 May 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3251761)   #3
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Many thanks, Andrew - much appreciated.

Yes, I've done the homework, in fact now gone round in a full circle, and am aware of everything you mention, EXCEPT ... is there are tangible difference when put to the test.

I bought a 7D as my backup a year or three ago and couldn't stand it. Gave up taking it with after a handful of race meetings and sold it a while later. I don't want to make the same mistake with the 5D3. While I trust that optically it's in a different league to the 7D, it's the auto focus when used for motorsport that none of the reviews and tests I've yet found comment on

Thanks again for your help.
Old 22 May 2013, 18:40 (Ref:3251791)   #4
Tim Adams
Rookie

Tim Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never used a mk4, but I used a 5DmkIII all last year. Shot ALMS at Road America, Petit, and the Reno Air Races. I can say without any doubts it is the best AF system I have ever seen. I have used a mkIIN and 1DsmkII, so I know 1 series AF. I have never had as many shots as sharp as they were this year. At night, the mkIII is astounding, it only needs a little light. At Petit I kept looking down at the camera in amazement shooting the night practice. People who's opinion I really trust and who have used the mk4's, 1DX's and Nikons say that nothing comes close to the AF in the 1DX and 5DmkIII. The mkIII AF system is 99% of the 1DX's, so I can't see spending the extra money.

Here is a shot from night practice, EXIF is embedded in the image.

Old 23 May 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3252213)   #5
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Hi Tim - thanks again so much for your message and pm.

Also, your pics on your website are absolutely brilliant - 'really enjoyed browsing through them.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3256507)   #6
JamesGP
Rookie

JamesGP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use both the 1dx and the 5d3 for motorsports and I would say that in terms of AF they are both brilliant, if the FPS are not an issue I would go for the 5d as you already have the 1d4
Old 2 Jun 2013, 09:45 (Ref:3256643)   #7
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGP View Post
I use both the 1dx and the 5d3 for motorsports and I would say that in terms of AF they are both brilliant, if the FPS are not an issue I would go for the 5d as you already have the 1d4
Many thanks, James. I rented a 5D3 last weekend for a historic event and was very impressed with the performance ... once I'd experimented with different settings. Ultimately found the best performance using Case 4 with tweaks to the parameters and by using centre point focus with immediately surrounding points switched on.

Not perfect with autofocus by any means, but I've yet to use a modern gen camera which I can rely on for in-focus pics as much I could with my 1980's Canon AE1 Program. I'm over paying silly money for flawed technology and just can't justify the 1DX at double the price of this one, as I'd bet that any improvement in autofocus performance - if it exists - would be so incremental as to be barely noticeable for the type of work I do. I pick my shutter actuation spot carefully to hit the 'sweet spot' of the action, so having a quicker frame rate is of no interest to me.

So, I have a 5D 3 on the way

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.