Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 23 Mar 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3223150)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Canon Error 01

I was at BTCC Media Day on Thursday, with the following kit:

Canon 1000D
18-55mm Kit Lens
Tamron 70-300mm A17e Lens and hood
Canon 50mm F/1.8 Prime Lens
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

The problem is the Err 01 message that I'm getting at random it seems, basically there is a communication problem between the lens and the body. It happened with the 24-105mm at most lengths and apertures, and with the Tamron on odd lengths and apertures. The setup hasn't dropped, the error popped up after around 70 shots with the 24-105mm mounted so fingerprints on the contacts don't seem like a likely culprit?

I have yet to sit and clean anything properly so would like a few pointers to look for before diving in. I'd rather not send it all back to Canon for service as I can see the cost of repairs exceeding the value, the body has had over 10,000 shutter activations in 18 months and anyway, I can pick up a new 1100D body for around £250.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3223165)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Err 01: Lens to body communication error
The camera to lens communication is somehow being interfered with… could be a problem within the lens itself, possibly the camera body, or something as simple as a smudged fingerprint on the lens mount contacts.

You probably know that already though! It's hard to narrow down what it could be if it is only happening intermitently, if it is happening with more that one lens then it could be a) body issue b) dirty contacts on both lens c) some other mechanical fault on both lenses (have you dropped either etc. - although sometimes things just break) or d) something else.

I would suggesting cleaning what you can, trying the lenses with as many different settings as you can and seeing if it makes a difference.

Or, borrow a camera from someone and try the lenses on that. If they are fine you are a step closer to figuring out the problem.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3223174)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had this on a 10D. Had to have a new shutter. (Thanks Gordon.... )
Old 23 Mar 2013, 16:55 (Ref:3223274)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
PM me if you can't sort it yourself, It could well be the shutter,I guarantee that I will get it fixed for a fraction of what you might get quoted !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Mar 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3223282)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As above, Gordon's your man for this. My son's Canon 40D was 'repaired' twice by authorised Canon repairers (far from cheap) and failed again. Eventually sent it to Gordon and it was back within a couple of weeks (if that) all sorted and it was a lot cheaper.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3225991)   #6
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Slight update, cleaning the contacts did nothing. The Tamron lens appears to be working as it should at all lengths and apertures, but the 24-105 L is being the problem child. At 24mm f/4 its fine, any tighter or stopped down and its Err01 time. Looks like a common problem with this lens, the diaphragm or flex cable needs replacing as it gets stuck at wider lengths.

Last edited by medius; 28 Mar 2013 at 13:37.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3226041)   #7
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My 24-105 did pretty much exactly the same thing, was a couple of hundred pounds repair. I think it's a fairly common fault!
Old 28 Mar 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3226181)   #8
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alternatively try repairing it yourself. I found a few videos on youtube and repaired my 17-85 with a flex cable problem (new flex cable cost me about £15). There is a video of the 24-105 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFR7ZG341kQ haven't watched all of it my self but it might be useful.
After all Canon engineers are not super human they simply have the knowlege and a few small scredrivers.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 09:12 (Ref:3226294)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Mike is quite right Error 01 is a lens communication problem could be one or the other, But the EF 24-105 does suffer with the power diaphragm flex breaking which causes this fault.
However unless you are sure of what you are doing I wouldn't recommend DIY repairs as that could cost you a lot more than you think !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 29 Mar 2013 at 09:30.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Mar 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3226300)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
After all Canon engineers are not super human they simply have the knowlege and a few small scredrivers.
That's a bit of a sweeping statement ! Don't forget like everything in life some people are better than others at what they do, I suppose you have all the updated software programs from Canon to hand in your kitchen
Old 29 Mar 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3226304)   #11
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
That's a bit of a sweeping statement ! Don't forget like everything in life some people are better than others at what they do, I suppose you have all the updated software programs from Canon to hand in your clean room kitchen
Thought I might add a thought or two to your observation Gordon. I think the potential for subsequent 'issues' after a DIY repair may be quite high.

For an old lens where one might not care too much about absolutely perfect long temr results afterwards a DIY fix might have some rewards but otherwise I think an experienced tech, the right environment and, presumably, a check and reset of calibration after repair make a lot of sense.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 11:23 (Ref:3226816)   #12
medius
Veteran

England
I do fiddle with some electronics, but not when its that valuable I'll leave it to the Pros, had a few quotes that vary a great deal...

Quote:
Mike is quite right Error 01 is a lens communication problem could be one or the other, But the EF 24-105 does suffer with the power diaphragm flex breaking which causes this fault.
However unless you are sure of what you are doing I wouldn't recommend DIY repairs as that could cost you a lot more than you think !
Is fixing lens something you can do Gordon?
Old 3 Apr 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3228695)   #13
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend DIY repairs as that could cost you a lot more than you think !
Agree with this - and I speak from experience!
Old 3 Apr 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3228767)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I do fiddle with some electronics, but not when its that valuable I'll leave it to the Pros, had a few quotes that vary a great deal...

Is fixing lens something you can do Gordon?
No problem PM me and I will explain what I can do.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3228848)   #15
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Gordon? How are you on Nikon lenses?
A Mr Hoyer sold me an 80-200. It's been fine, but the AF seems to have stopped working...
NOT Mike's fault, I hasten to add, without editing!
Old 4 Apr 2013, 07:08 (Ref:3228928)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Gordon? How are you on Nikon lenses?
A Mr Hoyer sold me an 80-200. It's been fine, but the AF seems to have stopped working...
NOT Mike's fault, I hasten to add, without editing!
PM sent
Old 11 Jul 2013, 02:07 (Ref:3276413)   #17
WillListonPhotography
Rookie

WillListonPhotography should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I was at BTCC Media Day on Thursday, with the following kit:

Canon 1000D
18-55mm Kit Lens
Tamron 70-300mm A17e Lens and hood
Canon 50mm F/1.8 Prime Lens
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

The problem is the Err 01 message that I'm getting at random it seems, basically there is a communication problem between the lens and the body. It happened with the 24-105mm at most lengths and apertures, and with the Tamron on odd lengths and apertures. The setup hasn't dropped, the error popped up after around 70 shots with the 24-105mm mounted so fingerprints on the contacts don't seem like a likely culprit?

I have yet to sit and clean anything properly so would like a few pointers to look for before diving in. I'd rather not send it all back to Canon for service as I can see the cost of repairs exceeding the value, the body has had over 10,000 shutter activations in 18 months and anyway, I can pick up a new 1100D body for around £250.
Hey Man,

I've spend about a year using the Tamron 70-300 on a 550D and 7D, and had to deal with this problem constantly. While it implies body-lens issues, Tamron told me that it was cause by jamming aperture blades. Was worst at f/4.5,5.0 and 5.6. That may be the problem with that lens, not sure about the others.

Hope this helps
Old 12 Jul 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3277005)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Curious? How would the aperure blades be doing ANYTHING if the lens is wide open? As that seems to be what you just said...
Old 12 Jul 2013, 15:45 (Ref:3277031)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can vouch for Gordon's kind assistance with the dreaded 'error 01'.....
Old 12 Jul 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3277038)   #20
medius
Veteran

England
So can I, Gordon serviced the lens in question and replaced the diaphragm in April, and its been nothing short of perfect since. I'm a very happy man now.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3277179)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain