Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Mar 2024, 00:59 (Ref:4198998)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RVSC24 R03 ITM Taupo Super400

Taupo is said to be packed out, camping and grandstands and general admission all very busy, very sold out.

Lets see if the racing is any good...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Mar 2024, 09:47 (Ref:4199307)   #2
mf51
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
mf51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Taupo is said to be packed out, camping and grandstands and general admission all very busy, very sold out.

Lets see if the racing is any good...
Glad I have my GA tickets but worried about lack of trackside viewing. I’ll find out soon
This place certainly is no Pukekohe raceway.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 22:46 (Ref:4199638)   #3
Ares
Racer

Ares should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf51 View Post
Glad I have my GA tickets but worried about lack of trackside viewing. I’ll find out soon
This place certainly is no Pukekohe raceway.
Taupo is a good viewing track. From pitlane (on the fence) you can see all of the track apart from the run up to the hairpin onto the top of the back straight. Viewing from the back straight I'd think you'd be able to see most if not all of the track. Yes, it certainly is not Puke. You wouldn't be wanting to go there much later than this date. Taupo is lovely, in the summer!
Old 28 Mar 2024, 04:07 (Ref:4203078)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

2 sellout rounds in a row… WOW!
Old 28 Mar 2024, 05:12 (Ref:4203082)   #5
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

2 sellout rounds in a row… WOW!
I thought Supercars were dead
Old 28 Mar 2024, 06:33 (Ref:4203094)   #6
Ares
Racer

The old stomping ground is dead. I drove past Pukekohe last week, I stopped in on my way through. Bridge is gone, part of the track looked to be getting dug up. It will all be a memory very soon by the look. The only HP there will have four legs. Sad sight.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 06:48 (Ref:4203095)   #7
Ares
Racer

When coming into Taupo from the North, you come over the hill and that big blue lake appears in front of you from out of nowhere. Just give it a moments thought, that five or six hundred square km lake is the crater of an exploded volcano. It gives you an instant new respect for the power on nature.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 00:38 (Ref:4203557)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
When coming into Taupo from the North, you come over the hill and that big blue lake appears in front of you from out of nowhere. Just give it a moments thought, that five or six hundred square km lake is the crater of an exploded volcano. It gives you an instant new respect for the power on nature.
I believe it is the world's largest volcanic crater. The lake is some 640 square kilometres. The last eruption is recorded in Chinese history and it plunged the world in to darkness for several months.

With much irony, a few years back, on Christmas Day, Jack Ma enquired about whether he could "buy your pond". Imagine that, there could've been bottled Lake Taupo water for sale on AliExpress.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 05:57 (Ref:4203564)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Is it just me or does it seem like half the V8Supercar field have been to Taupo since the Grand Prix, and gone tickling the track in whatever 86 or TransAm of sports sedan may be available?
Old 2 Apr 2024, 06:57 (Ref:4203566)   #10
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bet the local sheep are nervous!
Old 3 Apr 2024, 01:46 (Ref:4203669)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Most of the farms around the track are almost universally dairy farms, so there's already more slurry around than any press release can offer.

The pumice effect on the Dunlop tyre will be cool to watch and the fact that the track might struggle to rubber up in places, depending on wind direction, if sand and pumice does get blown in.
Old 3 Apr 2024, 07:15 (Ref:4203681)   #12
Ares
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
When I first read your post, my first thought was because there will be lots of Aussies in the area? But no.
Old 3 Apr 2024, 07:53 (Ref:4203689)   #13
Ares
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
I believe it is the world's largest volcanic crater. The lake is some 640 square kilometres. The last eruption is recorded in Chinese history and it plunged the world in to darkness for several months.

With much irony, a few years back, on Christmas Day, Jack Ma enquired about whether he could "buy your pond". Imagine that, there could've been bottled Lake Taupo water for sale on AliExpress.
Toba is the biggest crater Lake. A bit of information. Taupo's Oruanui eruption 26,000+ years ago is rated an 8 on the VEI, the same as Toba. The largest eruption in (recorded) history Tambora, the Oruanui eruption was ten times more powerful and 100 times more powerful than Krakatoa. The Oruanui eruption and the later smaller Hatepe eruption are the biggest explosions on Earth in the past 75,000 years, since Taba. Toba nearly made humans extinct on the planet. People may remember Mt Saint Helens in 1980. Taupo put out 1000 times more material than that eruption. A Supervolcano, and one of the most active. Great.
Old 3 Apr 2024, 08:19 (Ref:4203691)   #14
Ares
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Most of the farms around the track are almost universally dairy farms, so there's already more slurry around than any press release can offer.

The pumice effect on the Dunlop tyre will be cool to watch and the fact that the track might struggle to rubber up in places, depending on wind direction, if sand and pumice does get blown in.
You are bang on about the pumice, it will be interesting if that happens. Our long hot summer has not really happened as predicted. March has been cooler than normal. We have had a couple of 3c mornings here already, one this week. Also we have been getting fog already, we had a very heavy fog this morning. Races get fogged out at Taupo, got that sticker. Depending on the next few weeks we could be looking at overnight lows of maybe 3 to 4 degrees if lucky rather than 8 to 9? Snow is not down yet, so I hope we get some nice days. Racing there when the snow in on the mountains is VERY unpleasant. We do winter racing here, ****ing crazy.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 08:37 (Ref:4203804)   #15
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We were going to go over for this, unfortunately it all fell over for various reasons. Next year is locked in.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 00:41 (Ref:4204123)   #16
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bush is back at Erebus for the this round

Thats the statement from Erebus Motorsport

Back to your normal viewing.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 06:49 (Ref:4204157)   #17
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Bush is back at Erebus for the this round

Thats the statement from Erebus Motorsport

Back to your normal viewing.
That should be the Boost the series needs...... oh wait.

Talking about Boost, cue Adderton's annual statement he, the best benefactor ever, is walking away from Supercars and terminating all SC related sponsorships .
Old 8 Apr 2024, 08:22 (Ref:4204171)   #18
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Talking about Boost, cue Adderton's annual statement he, the best benefactor ever, is walking away from Supercars and terminating all SC related sponsorships .
Feel like I've heard it before...
Old 9 Apr 2024, 01:33 (Ref:4204278)   #19
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
It's better than that, he's now claiming he will exit all motorsports
Old 11 Apr 2024, 09:37 (Ref:4204591)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
New liveries for Grove and the second MSR car (Tyrepower deal concluded at the AGP apparently)
Old 11 Apr 2024, 09:43 (Ref:4204593)   #21
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will it be any good? Track doesn't look great for racing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fww8DZuX7NU
Old 11 Apr 2024, 10:23 (Ref:4204606)   #22
Ares
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
Will it be any good? Track doesn't look great for racing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fww8DZuX7NU
I didn't see much racing in that video Manfeild world have been a better track IMO, a horsepower track more than a technical track like Taupo. Unfortunately Manfeild is a little bit in the middle of nowhere, and about a six and a half hour drive from Auckland. Only a very keen motorsport fan will make that drive over a weekend. Plus not enough beds I'd say? Or pit bays? A race meeting there if you drive from Auckland is a killer. Pack up, tea and the drive. Home about 2am, towing a car 3am and work the next day.

Taupo, turn one race one will be interesting. Wide going in and not so wide coming out. Four wide going in there it will be first to blink. Kiwi boys will know.
Old 11 Apr 2024, 23:37 (Ref:4204706)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
New liveries for Grove and the second MSR car (Tyrepower deal concluded at the AGP apparently)

Old 13 Apr 2024, 18:21 (Ref:4204868)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Judging by the commercials during the Xfinity race suggests the teev mob will be inspired by “The Champ is Back”

I smell white wash and convenient forgetting

We shall see
Old 14 Apr 2024, 00:09 (Ref:4204891)   #25
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Judging by the commercials during the Xfinity race suggests the teev mob will be inspired by “The Champ is Back”

I smell white wash and convenient forgetting

We shall see
With only one of the talking heads not on the payroll can we expect any in-depth analysis?