Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Mar 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2648277)   #1
Cheburator
Rookie

Cheburator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing in the CSCC "Future Classics"

Hi,

New to the forum, and about to start racing in the CSCC "Future Classics" in a... wait for it... Porsche 928GTR Have done a lot of trackdays and was a regular at the Ring, clocking 1000+ laps, but as for real racing, I am a complete novice, thus the X sticker will stay for a while

Any tips from fellow contestants will be appreciated. Cannot wait...

Alex

P.S. Be gentle
Old 9 Mar 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2648291)   #2
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, that sounds interesting. Will give the XJS's & TR7V8s something to think about. What's the history of the car? I always like 928s so I shall look forward to seeing you out.
Old 9 Mar 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2648342)   #3
Cheburator
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Oh, that sounds interesting. Will give the XJS's & TR7V8s something to think about. What's the history of the car? I always like 928s so I shall look forward to seeing you out.
History, what history? It is a brand new built car from a LHD shell.

Bought the car with 309,000km on the clock in Germany as a road car in 2004. Used it as such for 2 years and then got serious about tracking/racing it. Full spec below:

Drivetrain:
- Currently with a GT 5.0 ltr engine with 968 intake valves and custom cams
- 928 International Headers
- Richard Armstrong X-pipe
- Custom 2.5" dual exhaust
- Pace Products / own custom dry sump system
- Brand new GTS gearbox with a Mocal cooler
Brakes and Suspension:
- GTS brakes
- Custom Leda 2-way adjustable shocks
- 928 Motorsports ARB bushes
- 928 Ott adjustable sway bar links
Interior:
- Fabricage FIA cage
- SRS 6-point FIA harnesses
- Cobra Monaco FIA seats
- Interior pannels removed with sound deadening
- Plastics 4 Performance lexan windows all round
Wheels:
- 18x8.5 and 18x10.5 OZ Racing for Strosek three piece wheels - wets
- 18x10 and 18x10 OEM Porsche Turbo 3 wheels - dry

Weight 1350kg sans fuel and driver. Good for 410Bhp at 6750rpm and 550Nm at 4100rpm.

The build was based on the factory backed effort from the late 1980s early 1990s which finished 7th in the Nurburgring 24hrs...

No idea how fast it is around UK circuits, but it would lap the Ring in 8m 6sec for a full lap on R888s in the dry...
Old 9 Mar 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2648466)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'll say "welcome" through gritted teeth as you'll be another to blow past me....

But at least its another Porsche so that's OK

I've been eyeing up 928s myself, but the trusty old 944 is still holding up....

I've only been racing for a year and a half, so with your 'Ring experience you've probably done a lot more mileage than I have.....

You going to Snetterton?
Old 9 Mar 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2648547)   #5
Cheburator
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'll say "welcome" through gritted teeth as you'll be another to blow past me....

But at least its another Porsche so that's OK

I've been eyeing up 928s myself, but the trusty old 944 is still holding up....

I've only been racing for a year and a half, so with your 'Ring experience you've probably done a lot more mileage than I have.....

You going to Snetterton?
Snetterton is not happening for me as it is the SWMBO's 30th B-day on the day. Somehow the suggestion that she spends it with me in sun-drenched warm Norfolk did not go down too well...

I am on for Brands and Anglesey.

As for blasting past you - primary aim is to finish in one piece and have fun...

928s are cool and very under-rated as track/race car. Paul Anderson is always 1st or 2nd in the HSCC 70s road/sport series in his '79 928S....
Old 9 Mar 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2648566)   #6
Vernon Head
Rookie

Vernon Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mech for the 30 Lotus, I got lucky the wifes birthdays the day after Snet so I'll be there, (even if it was the same day I'd still be there).
Old 10 Mar 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2648781)   #7
Stuart J
Racer

Stuart J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome, Cheburator, I run a 3.2 Carrera in FC’s, look forward to seeing the mighty 928 out to play – come and say hello in the paddock. As the FC races are 40 minutes, and your car is quite heavy, I would just take care choosing brake pads and tyres – I run Pagid RS19’s and MPSC’s respectively, but there’s lots of choice……………
Stuart
CSCC Future Classics #91, Porsche Carrera
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:10 (Ref:2649282)   #8
Cheburator
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart J View Post
Welcome, Cheburator, I run a 3.2 Carrera in FC’s, look forward to seeing the mighty 928 out to play – come and say hello in the paddock. As the FC races are 40 minutes, and your car is quite heavy, I would just take care choosing brake pads and tyres – I run Pagid RS19’s and MPSC’s respectively, but there’s lots of choice……………
Stuart
Car was built to VLN regulations for SP8, thus it cannot be lighter than 1350kg dry weight. The 928 is surprisingly kind on brakes and tyres - it uses 993 Turbo front calipers and discs, which were designed to stop a car, which is 300kg heavier. The suspension somehow works well too. Will use Kumho V70A and R888, which have proven themselves at the Ring in testing... 40min of racing is about 5 laps of the Ring, whch the car has completed with ease, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the welcome, btw.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 08:37 (Ref:2649422)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
so you finally finished it! Well done and good luck!
Old 11 Mar 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2649430)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds a great car I have often wondered why the 928 has not been more widely used in competition. Are the engines an arm and a leg to prepare?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 09:46 (Ref:2649454)   #11
Cheburator
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Sounds a great car I have often wondered why the 928 has not been more widely used in competition. Are the engines an arm and a leg to prepare?
Because it was better than the 911 of the time?
Porsche did back a number of 928 and one of them actually won the VLN Championship at the Nurburgring in 1984, setting a lap record too. Prep costs are no more or less than any other race car, but you have a couple of issues to consider:

1. Unlike a Yank V8, there is next to nothing available as performance parts off the shelf. Every race engine is custom built. Thus we have to re-invent the wheel. Could be fun, but a lot of people choose the easier option and go with something like a BMW/ALFA/911 etc

2. Oil ingestion and 2/6 main bearing failure. Due to the extremely shallow pan, the 928's V8 is prone to oil surge in high rpm/high G corners. The only real way to solve the problem is to dry-sump the engine. That is a £3k bill in itself...
Old 11 Mar 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2649683)   #12
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Cheburator, I must surely know you if not my name then by face. I too was a 'Ring regular from 2000 - 2006 with an E30 M3 which I stored at Ring Racing until I took the plunge into racing with the CSCC from the start of the 2007 season.

Shame you won't be at Snett but I'll look out for you at Brands and Anglesey.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 13 Mar 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2651074)   #13
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheburator View Post
Snetterton is not happening for me as it is the SWMBO's 30th B-day on the day. Somehow the suggestion that she spends it with me in sun-drenched warm Norfolk did not go down too well...
Women, eh? You try to show them something different for a treat, and what thanks do you get.......

Quote:
I am on for Brands and Anglesey.
Look forward to seeing you there

Quote:
As for blasting past you - primary aim is to finish in one piece and have fun...
Sounds like a plan - stick with it and don't pass me - it'll make me feel so much better
Old 14 Mar 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2651512)   #14
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic, fantastic car. There was a 928 that raced at Le Mans a long time ago.
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 15 Mar 2010, 01:12 (Ref:2652304)   #15
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well... I'd like to say "welcome to Future Classics", I really would, but having read the spec of your car, it sounds like that's another place down the grid I'll be going! So how does "sod off" sound instead?!

But seriously, if my experience is anything to go by, you'll have a damn good time amongst like-minded individuals. Apparently, there is going to be another 928 out in FC also, as I read in Practical Performance Car that one of the staff writers there is planning a few outings - although it sounds like his car may be relatively standard compared to yours - might be half a chance of keeping up with that one! Unless, of course, you and he are one and the same? I think we should be told!

At this rate, it's starting to sound like going backwards may be the way forwards this year! Hmmm... If this keeps up, I'll have to be thinking about a faster car for 2011. Oh, hang on... wouldn't that mean spending money? Bugger!
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:48 (Ref:2652392)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure what the registration status is for FC this year, but last i heard there had been interest from up to 5 x 928s this year.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2652565)   #17
Cheburator
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I'm not sure what the registration status is for FC this year, but last i heard there had been interest from up to 5 x 928s this year.
Hmm, that is a scary thought... There are a few very fast 928s, which would b

Thanks for the warm welcome. I doubt very much that I will be a threat to anyone's final results. At the end of the day being able to drive very fast on a track is one thing, but being able to do the same while racing other like-minded individuals is another Thus my main aim is to gain experience, have fun, be safe and happy at the end of a race day. If I am not the last one to finish - that's a bonus, but for the moment I just want to get out there and enjoy it for all it is...

P.S. Thanks for the welcome
Old 15 Mar 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2652933)   #18
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Five? FIVE!

WTF are we gonna do with five of 'em? Even a standard 928 is pretty quick - shed half a ton of trim and ****e out of it and we've all got no chance have we?

I'm just hoping they all melt their brakes by half distance!
Old 15 Mar 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2652971)   #19
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen a Lister Storm for sale at a very reasonable price. Would that be eligible for Future Classics? It might take the focus from the 928s
Old 15 Mar 2010, 21:16 (Ref:2652980)   #20
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a future classic to me!
Old 16 Mar 2010, 00:52 (Ref:2653140)   #21
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Well... if we're going that far, why stop at a Lister? I think the Mclaren F1 just about makes it in by the 1990 cut-off date for Future Classics!

Now... where's last week's Autotrader?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2653434)   #22
Cheburator
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
I've seen a Lister Storm for sale at a very reasonable price. Would that be eligible for Future Classics? It might take the focus from the 928s
Or you could get a M635Csi which would benefit from parts being available from BMW Mobile Tradition/BMW ///M GmbH in Munich, as well as expertise on how to build it/prep it... That would give a 928 a fright...
Old 16 Mar 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2653512)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Five? FIVE!

WTF are we gonna do with five of 'em? Even a standard 928 is pretty quick - shed half a ton of trim and ****e out of it and we've all got no chance have we?

I'm just hoping they all melt their brakes by half distance!
I should not worry too much, 5 people may have expressed an interest but will they all turn up? Personally I hope they do as they are great cars but I'd be more worried if 5 x 911 turbos turned up as they have competition specific parts available by the bucket load.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2653807)   #24
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheburator View Post
Or you could get a M635Csi which would benefit from parts being available from BMW Mobile Tradition/BMW ///M GmbH in Munich, as well as expertise on how to build it/prep it... That would give a 928 a fright...

Well, I may be well ahead of you there, as I'm already thinking about this! Especially as my current BMW doesn't have the potential to be much quicker, even if I throw some cash at it.

However, it won't be an M635, but rather an E28 M5 - effectively the same car but with four doors and much cheaper to straighten out after I bend it (and I will...). £200 for a decent second-hand front wing for the six - if you can find one - and about a tenner for the same item from a five! Of course, the fact that I also happen to have the E28 already, languishing in the corner in a semi-prepped state, may have some bearing on my decision!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 07:59 (Ref:2653990)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
However, it won't be an M635, but rather an E28 M5 - effectively the same car but with four doors and much cheaper to straighten out after I bend it (and I will...).
Makes note to myself not to race in that series.....