Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Nov 2012, 06:38 (Ref:3164386)   #1
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monster Energy to Take Whincup to court

Monster Energy says it will take Jamie Whincup to court to ensure that the three-time V8 Supercars Champion honours his deal with the company next season.

In a statement issued today, Monster Energy’s Australasian Manager Adrian Hunter says that his company will take Whincup to the New South Wales Supreme Court, seeking the four-time Bathurst 1000 champion to fulfil the final year of his Monster deal.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/11/09/...ncup-to-court/
Old 9 Nov 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3164393)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure Red Bull will take care of the matter.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3164404)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like someone forgot to put a force majeure clause in their contract...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Nov 2012, 08:15 (Ref:3164411)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will be interested in the outcome, will RD crawl T888 out of this??
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 9 Nov 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3164417)   #5
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This could be a tricky one if there's no clause in there relating to conflict with team sponsors.

Monster have spent money on Whincup promoting him to their target market. Now - Red Bull come in and get the benefit of that promotion and use him in effectively the same market.

The only thing I can figure is that they'll be able to preclude Whincup from conducting any off-track ambassadorial roles for Red Bull - that he'll only be able to do on-track promotions.

Ultimately - it's more about p***ing off Red Bull and restricting the use of their new, very expensive driving asset.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3164461)   #6
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
This could be a tricky one if there's no clause in there relating to conflict with team sponsors.
Hopefully Whincup's lawyers/management are smarter than that... otherwise it's gonna get expensive for him!

Quote:
Ultimately - it's more about p***ing off Red Bull and restricting the use of their new, very expensive driving asset.
Or perhaps Monster are just kicking up a stink to gain some coverage?
Old 9 Nov 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3164469)   #7
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am also guessing Roland Dane will ask V8 Supercars not to show incar footage of JW driving.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3164744)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or getting into/out of the car.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 22:49 (Ref:3164750)   #9
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle View Post
I am also guessing Roland Dane will ask V8 Supercars not to show incar footage of JW driving.
What Roland wants Roland gets off V8 Supercars.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 10 Nov 2012, 04:26 (Ref:3164832)   #10
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Sounds like someone forgot to put a force majeure clause in their contract...
I would think this unlikely, however Monster are still getting press mileage out of this.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 05:19 (Ref:3164837)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I would think this unlikely, however Monster are still getting press mileage out of this.
Would you (or anyone else) buy a can of their product on the strength of taking Mr Whincup to court? Or that he may or may not prove to be in breach of a deal with Monster?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Nov 2012, 05:28 (Ref:3164839)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Would you (or anyone else) buy a can of their product on the strength of taking Mr Whincup to court? Or that he may or may not prove to be in breach of a deal with Monster?
Personally I would have gone with

Quote:
Would you (or anyone else) buy a can of their product
No amount of marketing will make me want to drink it
Old 10 Nov 2012, 05:29 (Ref:3164840)   #13
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely not, they have not come out of this whole episode well AT ALL.

They clearly were bargain hunters who got maximum value for minimum dollars, and good luck to them for that. However they had the chance to handle this transition gracefully and they have shown themselves in my opinion to be petulant, arrogant fools.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3164852)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Absolutely not, they have not come out of this whole episode well AT ALL.

They clearly were bargain hunters who got maximum value for minimum dollars, and good luck to them for that. However they had the chance to handle this transition gracefully and they have shown themselves in my opinion to be petulant, arrogant fools.
Were they bargain hunters?

One could argue they supported a driver and have developed a brand around him.

Red Bull have lobbed on the scene late and seem to be the one trying to get a bargain

Lightning McQueen knew what it was about
Old 10 Nov 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3164856)   #15
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
... However they had the chance to handle this transition gracefully and they have shown themselves in my opinion to be petulant, arrogant fools.
Really?

Wasn't it T8 that took Monster money to fund their Dunlop Series commode, sorry Commodore, this year? And wasn’t it Monster working on a deal for more involvement with T8 while all the time being a personal sponsor of their number one star driver?

After all that T8 took commercial competitor Red Bull on board...
Old 10 Nov 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3164962)   #16
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Not likely that I would, but it never hurts to have your brand name thrown into the spotlight..........it's all subliminal, you know that.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 22:48 (Ref:3165015)   #17
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Were they bargain hunters?
Yes - they have been doing all their driver sponsorships for pocket change - $3k- $5k each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
Wasn't it T8 that took Monster money to fund their Dunlop Series commode, sorry Commodore, this year? And wasn’t it Monster working on a deal for more involvement with T8 while all the time being a personal sponsor of their number one star driver?
This is UTTER rubbish. After the Red Bull deal was announced, Monster spoke to journos about how they were working on a deal for Triple 8, but it is complete and utter face saving bull****. The DVS car cost them $200k and they never had any more than that to spend, so to try to claim they were working on a main game deal is utter ********.

They are a nothing but a bunch of liars trying to save face, most likely with their own head office.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:14 (Ref:3165059)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Yes - they have been doing all their driver sponsorships for pocket change - $3k- $5k each.

This is UTTER rubbish. After the Red Bull deal was announced, Monster spoke to journos about how they were working on a deal for Triple 8, but it is complete and utter face saving bull****. The DVS car cost them $200k and they never had any more than that to spend, so to try to claim they were working on a main game deal is utter ********.

They are a nothing but a bunch of liars trying to save face, most likely with their own head office.
your making some big calls here mixerand seem overly passionate. Do you need to make a disclosure?

Would have thought not many DVS teams are running on more than $200k of sponsorship.

Would also think that if Monster are only paying those guys $3-5K for helmet sponsorship that the going rate is not very high for helmet sponsorship

Last edited by peckstar; 11 Nov 2012 at 02:23.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:35 (Ref:3165062)   #19
Umai Naa
Veteran

Mr Douglas got a freebie in exchange for full coverage of the lid.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 02:40 (Ref:3165065)   #20
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
your making some big calls here mixerand seem overly passionate. Do you need to make a disclosure?

Would have thought not many DVS teams are running on more than $200k of sponsorship.

Would also think that if Monster are only paying those guys $3-5K for helmet sponsorship that the going rate is not very high for helmet sponsorship
They're paying Whincup (in particular) and others way more than $5K a shot. Even Mostert gets more than $5K from them.

The DVS car - maybe $200K - but they can't afford to buy out the car in total - which was one of their earlier reasons for not being a title sponsor in the main game.

I don't know why they're doing this for any other reason than to gain publicity/be a nuisance. They do have a contract with Whincup, so they're within their rights, but it's not dignified.

Then again - I'm also assuming that they've attempted to reach some kind of settlement with JW/T8 prior to going public. There's always two sides to each story.

But there is absolutely no way that Whincup will be wearing any Monster signage and driving for Red Bull/T8 next year. Ultimately, someone will pay some money and it will all go away.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 05:23 (Ref:3165082)   #21
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it strange that many of you are having a go at Monster for being cheap and also for taking them Jamie to court. I would have though getting any driver for cheap (If the figures here are acurate) is great business sense and poor work by the drivers management.

I would think that anyone here who had a contract with a builder to build them a house and the builder didn't build the house as per the contract, you would be mighty p***ed and inclined to take said builder to court.

Monster have done nothing wrong here, T8 and Jamie deserve to be taken to court.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 05:51 (Ref:3165084)   #22
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trev is 100% right.

Forget for a second the Red Bull vs Monster thing...a contract is beiing broken.

Monster wanted J-dub displaying their logo and are well within their rights to try and enforce the contract.

If this does go to court, Monster win this case easily. The only question is how (much) they are compensated.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 05:56 (Ref:3165087)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
Trev is 100% right.

Forget for a second the Red Bull vs Monster thing...a contract is beiing broken.

Monster wanted J-dub displaying their logo and are well within their rights to try and enforce the contract.

If this does go to court, Monster win this case easily. The only question is how (much) they are compensated.
I wonder if the question is how much Monster would be compensated before Redbull walk away.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 06:02 (Ref:3165088)   #24
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
I find it strange that many of you are having a go at Monster for being cheap and also for taking them Jamie to court. I would have though getting any driver for cheap (If the figures here are acurate) is great business sense and poor work by the drivers management.
I don't specifically have an issue with Monster taking Jamie to court. However ever since 888 signed up with Red Bull, Monster have been using misdirection tactics to stretch the truth and avoid the truth that they are being outbid by a very strong competitor.

Anyway there's a whole lot of assumptions being made here.

Monster are gonna make noise about it regardless of their legal position, because it keeps their name in the press.

Nobody here knows the wording of the contract Jamie has signed with Monster.
Nobody here knows the wording of the contract Jamie has signed with 888.

Until a court hears it, we'll just never know. I'm inclined to be suspicious about Monster because of their PR activities and comments past the midpoint of this year.

Last edited by Mixer; 11 Nov 2012 at 06:13.
Old 11 Nov 2012, 06:48 (Ref:3165094)   #25
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Mixer has said, no-one knows what the contract says, so no-one can accurately comment on anything. For all we know, there's an out in his contract and they're within their right to do whatever they want (such as putting a competing brands logo on their suits)