Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Feb 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3198540)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Lap Records

its obvious the COTF will run much faster times then they've ever been, I think well see some plucked off this year, especially on the smaller tracks. Although Bathurst will be one thatll take some doing, I predict at least 5 lap records to be broken this year.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3198558)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have to agree with you on this one. Mark Skaife said that Car Of Today is about 0.5-1 second faster than the Car Of Yesterday.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3198573)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rumours were circulating Homebush that the Triple Eight car was matching the pace of the then-current car, with a there-or-thereabouts setup in it.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3198763)   #4
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it would be about time that they went quicker, from Memory I think Sandown, Barbagello, not sure about Hidden valley lap records were set way back in 1999. I think.
Old 3 Feb 2013, 21:49 (Ref:3198776)   #5
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
Well it would be about time that they went quicker, from Memory I think Sandown, Barbagello, not sure about Hidden valley lap records were set way back in 1999. I think.
I'm guessing here but maybe;
a) did the cars run superior tyres that season
b) did they have unusually cold conditions (denser air=more power)?

Hidden Valley is normally stinking hot isn't it?
Old 3 Feb 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3198811)   #6
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can see the Bathurst lap record going, but more because of the track re-surfacing.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 3 Feb 2013, 23:15 (Ref:3198817)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to clarify we are talking v8 supercar records and not circuit records
Old 4 Feb 2013, 06:50 (Ref:3198948)   #8
m00neelee
Rookie

m00neelee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Just to clarify we are talking about Jamie Whincup's personal best times since joining 888, not v8 supercar records and not circuit records.
Since this is a FAS33 question i needed to fix your spelling mistake.

Old 4 Feb 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3199022)   #9
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In those days there were multiple suppliers along with the associated tyre wars
Old 6 Feb 2013, 06:29 (Ref:3199993)   #10
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Dunlop is between 1.5 & 3 seconds a lap slower than the last (best) Bridgestone’s.

Can't compare apples & oranges.

These 'new' cars, should have a new COTF V8SC lap record category, as they are nothing like any previous V8 Supercar.

Alternatively, perhaps just let them break the Sports Sedan Lap Records (if they can) as that's what they really are...
Old 6 Feb 2013, 07:20 (Ref:3200004)   #11
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool story.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 07:37 (Ref:3200006)   #12
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
then you might as well reset all the new lap recorded times the current F1, NASCAR, DTM have made in the past seasons.
Old 6 Feb 2013, 11:18 (Ref:3200123)   #13
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might we finally see the lap record at Symmons Plains broken?
Alfie Costanzo has held that since 1980!

Who cares if a completely different COTF V8Supercar is quicker than the 'old-model' V8Supercars, the COTF's have been designed to be quicker! If they are slower then something has gone very wrong....

Why don't we concentrate on whether the "Sports Sedan Lites" COTF of 2013 might actually break some outright track records.

For starters they will need to get into 2m04's in race trim to achieve the feat at Bathurst
Old 6 Feb 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3200163)   #14
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
I think youll find The track record for Bathurst is 1:48
Old 6 Feb 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3200313)   #15
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I think youll find The track record for Bathurst is 1:48
I think you will find you are very wrong

PS.. lap records cannot be set during demonstrations (plus there was no official timing during the McLaren/Vodafone event)
Old 6 Feb 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3200326)   #16
m00neelee
Rookie

m00neelee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I think you will find you are very wrong

PS.. lap records cannot be set during demonstrations (plus there was no official timing during the McLaren/Vodafone event)
Actually FAS33 is correct. They did say that it was the track record, not a lap record. Splitting hairs I know, but it's all in the wording.

Fastest race lap to date I believe is Chris Gilmour in a Dallara F307 at 2.04.61.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3200549)   #17
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00neelee View Post
Actually FAS33 is correct. They did say that it was the track record, not a lap record. Splitting hairs I know, but it's all in the wording.

Fastest race lap to date I believe is Chris Gilmour in a Dallara F307 at 2.04.61.
How can it be a track record when the demonstration was not officially timed?

Even Greg Murphy's 2003 lap was never officially recognised as lap records cannot be set in qualifying (V8Supercars pumped up the lap, and subsequently Lowndes practice lap, for their own chest beating purposes for years though)

It is a pity the likes of RaceTime & Ray Bell don't post here anymore to straighten out these misconceptions.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 09:42 (Ref:3200577)   #18
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Have to agree with you on this one. Mark Skaife said that Car Of Today is about 0.5-1 second faster than the Car Of Yesterday.
had a giggle at that one!

and err, I had some people from a prominent VIC based V8 team fresh from a COTF assembly push, come into my workshop this week, and they saw the 1992 Audi V8 Quattro DTM car I'm tickling up......

They were "oohing, and aaahing" at all the technology on it!

It's 20 years old!!!

Old 7 Feb 2013, 09:45 (Ref:3200583)   #19
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
How can it be a track record when the demonstration was not officially timed?

Even Greg Murphy's 2003 lap was never officially recognised as lap records cannot be set in qualifying (V8Supercars pumped up the lap, and subsequently Lowndes practice lap, for their own chest beating purposes for years though)

It is a pity the likes of RaceTime & Ray Bell don't post here anymore to straighten out these misconceptions.
Murphy's lap was never a lap record but it WAS a qualifying record & was accurately described as the fastest V8 lap at the mountain for some time after.

Totally agree on the F1 - no timing system in place but I'd reckon the car's data logging ( triggered by a fixed location unit) would be good enough to know that the lap time was accurate - just not a lap record.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 10:46 (Ref:3200617)   #20
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
had a giggle at that one!

and err, I had some people from a prominent VIC based V8 team fresh from a COTF assembly push, come into my workshop this week, and they saw the 1992 Audi V8 Quattro DTM car I'm tickling up......

It's 20 years old!!!

For those who don't know Audi withdrew from the '92 DTM because the car despite "all the technology" was an utter dog.

It was even embarrassed by Gerd Ruch's old Ford Mustang with 5.0 litre small block windsor power on occassions and was no match for the M3's or 190E's.

Mind you, they were a great looking cars and the 1990 and 1991 cars worked a treat.

As a guide, lap time wise, it would have been about as quick as the first "V8 Supercars" that debuted at Sandown and Bathurst in '92. I'd guess a maybe a touch slower but that might be a little unfair to Mr HJ Stuck.

Last edited by chavez; 7 Feb 2013 at 11:07.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3200625)   #21
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

It's 20 years old!!!

No doubt - DTM has always been relatively high tech - the technology, for a 20 year old car, would be impressive. By today's standards, probably not so much.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 05:55 (Ref:3201020)   #22
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
For those who don't know Audi withdrew from the '92 DTM because the car despite "all the technology" was an utter dog.

It was even embarrassed by Gerd Ruch's old Ford Mustang with 5.0 litre small block windsor power on occassions and was no match for the M3's or 190E's.

Mind you, they were a great looking cars and the 1990 and 1991 cars worked a treat.

As a guide, lap time wise, it would have been about as quick as the first "V8 Supercars" that debuted at Sandown and Bathurst in '92. I'd guess a maybe a touch slower but that might be a little unfair to Mr HJ Stuck.
Err, no.

They got caught cheating, that's why they stopped.

They claimed to have same power at same rpmm as other competitors..

And it did.... about 450 BHP at about 7500 rpm.

but they then ran a flat plane crank engine that revved to 9000rpm and made 600+ BHP.

And got busted by some nerd with a super slow mo microphone recording the rpm as it went by.

Ooops
Old 8 Feb 2013, 05:56 (Ref:3201022)   #23
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
No doubt - DTM has always been relatively high tech - the technology, for a 20 year old car, would be impressive. By today's standards, probably not so much.
Even by todays standards, this works Audi is very clever and even current in many ways.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 06:37 (Ref:3201028)   #24
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Err, no.

They got caught cheating, that's why they stopped.

They claimed to have same power at same rpmm as other competitors..

And it did.... about 450 BHP at about 7500 rpm.

but they then ran a flat plane crank engine that revved to 9000rpm and made 600+ BHP.

And got busted by some nerd with a super slow mo microphone recording the rpm as it went by.

Ooops
Obviously off topic, but do you think they went down that route because the car was uncompetitive? - from the '92 DM review I have on VHS it obvious that they spent a lot of time mid field or retiring through mechancial failure.

Will it be raced in historic touring cars? Would love to see one racing in the flesh.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 06:51 (Ref:3201035)   #25
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Obviously off topic, but do you think they went down that route because the car was uncompetitive? - from the '92 DM review I have on VHS it obvious that they spent a lot of time mid field or retiring through mechancial failure.

Will it be raced in historic touring cars? Would love to see one racing in the flesh.
Off topic again (we should start a new thread for this maybe?) but I did not know that any of the works Audi DTM's escaped from the factory? Fantastic cars, how about a few pics? I own an M3 that would have raced against it in 92. The V8 won the DTM in 90 and 91, but although clever in concept I think the flat plane crank was probably their downfall, how many engine blowups did they have before withdrawing in 1992?

Conrad