Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Mar 2004, 02:00 (Ref:906589)   #1
shawn89
Rookie

shawn89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australians in F1. Why are there hardly any?

This is in a similar vein to that one about the South Americans. As far as I know, there have only been about 10 Aussies in F1 ever. Of those, only Sir Jack Brabham, Tim Schenken, Alan Jones & Mark Webber have scored F1 points! Wassup wit dat?!
Old 16 Mar 2004, 02:07 (Ref:906592)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are about 180 million people in Brazil alone; Australians total to little more than 10 percent of the population of Brazil.

Simply put, there's your answer.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 02:28 (Ref:906603)   #3
fordtc87
Rookie

United States
Indianapolis, IN
fordtc87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Americans? There are 330 million of us and we haven't had any drivers since Michael Andretti
Old 16 Mar 2004, 02:42 (Ref:906606)   #4
dangeradam
Rookie

dangeradam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
America really has its own premier series or several depending on who you talk to. Australia doesn't really have a top level open wheel championship (this only applies to the Aust vs America argument).

I think it really comes down to distance, to get big you've got to go to Europe its a long way away and costs alot.

Webber really stuck at it where plenty of others give up and come back to a well paid comfortable touring car drive. That's not saying they didn't have the talent but many just run out of money.

As a population ratio i think australia does very well in most sports we have a go at.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 02:42 (Ref:906607)   #5
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey don't forget the Canadians! I think Greg Moore was going to be an F1 great, too bad he went before his time With no guarantee Villeneuve will be back, the future looks pretty bleek for Canadian race car drivers as well.

Just be happy you have one shawn!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 03:05 (Ref:906612)   #6
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by dangeradam
America really has its own premier series or several depending on who you talk to. Australia doesn't really have a top level open wheel championship (this only applies to the Aust vs America argument).
Correction. We have the V8 SuperCars here. Although I love it I think it's fairly local.

Many of these V8 drivers are fairly young, and I do believe that if we had a better F-3/F-Renault/F-Opel in Australia, some of them could excel in single seaters and then make it to Europe and F1.

Fortunately I see some future for Ryan Briscoe... At least Toyota seems to be investing a lot is his development as a F1 driver.

Australians love their own sports. If there wasn't Australian Football (Aussie Rules) this country would be a soccer, volleyball and basketball superpower. But still... even though I don't like it... I have to live with the fact that my daughter (a true blue Aussie) loves the game!
Old 16 Mar 2004, 03:07 (Ref:906616)   #7
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally posted by fordtc87
What about Americans? There are 330 million of us and we haven't had any drivers since Michael Andretti
Not too mention the number of Brazilian drivers in IRL and ChampCar But hey... can't blame the team owners. These guys are good!
Old 16 Mar 2004, 03:23 (Ref:906628)   #8
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia does not get behind its open wheller categories at all in this country.

All the Formula Ford drivers try iot overseas eg Ambrose,Ingall,Skaife,Morris,Bright & Steven Richards to an extent but they all seem to come back & pay the bills by racing taxi's I mean supercars.

It is a shame given the talent we have here in open wheelers they must go overseas. Heck when Alan Jones was in F1 he could not get Aussie sponsorship had to rely on Bin Laden
Old 16 Mar 2004, 03:55 (Ref:906638)   #9
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by fordtc87
i wouldn't really count him...
Old 16 Mar 2004, 04:16 (Ref:906659)   #10
Meroo
Racer

Australia
South Coast NSW
Meroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prime reason summed up in one word - Budget.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 04:24 (Ref:906663)   #11
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish_Flake
There are about 180 million people in Brazil alone; Australians total to little more than 10 percent of the population of Brazil.

Simply put, there's your answer.
Not that simple, mate.

There about one billion people in China alone, and there are ZERO Chinese in F1 ever.

My country, Indonesia, have about 200 million people, and none had chance in F1. We can talk the same stories about other states, especially in Asia, Middle East, and Africa.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 16 Mar 2004 at 04:25.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 07:55 (Ref:906741)   #12
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, and how many portuguese?

we had Pedro Lamy who could have stood a chance but broke his leg in an accident and before that Pedro Chaves in the lovely Coloni that never qualified, ever...

or is my memory failing?
Old 16 Mar 2004, 11:57 (Ref:906928)   #13
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally posted by Meroo
Prime reason summed up in one word - Budget.
Dont think budget is hard if you look at the level of sponsorship at V8 SuperCars.

Not talking about someone getting a F1 seat... It's much more driver development, like it seems to happen in Brazil...

All those guys go through Karting, F-Ford, F-Renault and F-3 before going to Europe, where they eventually end up winning a championship.

Last edited by DieRitter; 16 Mar 2004 at 11:58.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 12:19 (Ref:906944)   #14
Ryder
Rookie

Ryder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber is a huge assett not only to formula one, but to Australia. With that in mind, who knows why there are not many Aussies in F1? Like Coultard, Webber is also the perfect speaker...........a sponsors dream you might think? Drivers like Lowdes, Skaife and Radisich would probably do pretty well in F1. People talk about all the Formulas, but I think the V8s are a great stepping stone to F1. I know they are different, but they arent that different when you think about it.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 15:32 (Ref:907096)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lowndes had a crack at F3000 for one season before returning home with his tail between his legs.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 16:16 (Ref:907136)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Instead of setting up a moaning thread about the absentee we should consider thatn quality is way more important than quantity: for instance, as an Italian I should be very happy for having 4 drivers, and I'm sort of, but I know that none has any chance to be the WDC or to battle for the final win.
One sole Aussie like Webber would be preferable than many backfield like Bruni or Pantano

Last edited by climb; 16 Mar 2004 at 16:16.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 17:02 (Ref:907201)   #17
Ryder
Rookie

Ryder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair comment climb. I hadnt thought of it like that. Italy does have Ferrari though
Old 16 Mar 2004, 22:12 (Ref:907611)   #18
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
as an Italian I should be very happy for having 4 drivers, and I'm sort of, but I know that none has any chance to be the WDC or to battle for the final win.
I don't know climb Trulli is in a Renault who were the closest Ferrari challengers in Aus, I wouldn't say that if Renault improve a little more that Trulli has no shot at the title or at the least some race wins.

Nevertheless four Italians!!! Let's get just one Canadian back in there!

Last edited by TeddyG; 16 Mar 2004 at 22:14.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 23:16 (Ref:907688)   #19
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryder
People talk about all the Formulas, but I think the V8s are a great stepping stone to F1. I know they are different, but they arent that different when you think about it.
Single seaters are different. Don't think any F1 team boss would seriously consider someone that didn't go through any of the major european categories.

Ok... I drove F-3s and Touring cars... it's all different buddy! Have you ever heard of fast-in, fast-out, understeering... And please consider that on top of that, Supecars setup are not as dynamic.

The day someone gets a F1 drive straight from V8 Supercars, then we can call it a stepping stone.

It's a great Aussie category, I think it's very competitive and fun to watch. I personally love it! But remember that anywhere in the world, stock cars are for drivers usually around their 40s.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 02:18 (Ref:907823)   #20
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Lowndes had a crack at F3000 for one season before returning home with his tail between his legs.
It wasn't because he couldn't drive that he came home. He did quite well considering who his competition was. And I would hardly say he came home with his tail between his legs when he got home he won just about everything.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 15:54 (Ref:908280)   #21
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DieRitter
But remember that anywhere in the world, stock cars are for drivers usually around their 40s.
I have to disagree with that.

Australians are better off out of F1, its too boring for them, well for anyone really.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 17:57 (Ref:908370)   #22
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brazil is the only country which has challenged the Western European countries in the last couple of decades. I don't think Australia is doing anything wrong, rather that Brazil is doing something very right.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 18:22 (Ref:908389)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about the Belgians?
All we have is Bas Leinders...
And the only Belgian ever to be talented enough to even think about a title shot was Jacky Ickx...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 17 Mar 2004 at 18:22.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 18:28 (Ref:908397)   #24
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Thierry Boutsen could have won one. Not in the class of Prost, Piquet or Senna but as good as anyone else if he was happy with the car.
Old 17 Mar 2004, 18:50 (Ref:908432)   #25
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carla O
well, and how many portuguese?
At least theres Tiago Monteiro... Although how much running he'll get with Minardi (as '4th' driver!) is anyones guess...