Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Aug 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1395475)   #26
ooo-arr27
Rookie

England
Bath
ooo-arr27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am SOOOOOOOO gutted that I can't make this years event. I have been to every one, it is the highlight of my year. There had better be some excellent photos taken and posted here!!!
Old 31 Aug 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1395481)   #27
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I don't think its the biggest historic event is it ? what about the Spa 6 hour ?
Goodwood is the biggest, certainly from a prestige point of view and the number of spectators. It knocked the leading Californian Monterey event from it's perch from the very first revival. Spa might be bigger regarding the number of entries I suppose but is that an event geared up mostly for the competitor rather than the spectator?

As you dissapointingly know zef, his Lordship can invite the cars he wants, he therefore gets the very best from around the world ( still should have had yours ) whereas Spa I believe relies on drivers /owners paying entry fees like any other meeting. The driver is the customer there but at Goodwood the spectator is the main client.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1396203)   #28
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just can't wait, as always my number one weekend of the year.
Hope to see Berger put in a competitive run in the Jag as he never got to race the 250GTO last time out, as he was my childhood hero during the 80's.
As ever, we will be getting dressed up so as to get in the paddock - just hope it is a little bit cooler than last year or else it might just have to be short trousers on sunday, which really goes against my feelings towards the event. I can understand why people don't get dressed up, but those who do add a very important extra dimension to the event in my opinion.
The very best of luck to all those members lucky enough to be racing this year.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1396387)   #29
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Spa I believe relies on drivers /owners paying entry fees like any other meeting. The driver is the customer there but at Goodwood the spectator is the main client.
very good point, the paying punter is watching rather than driving. . . . and it explains a lot. possibly why I'm not overly bothered about going this year as I've seen and raced with most of these cars regularly anyway recently, and I can quite happily miss a load of hooray henrys out for he day posing !

for those that can't make it . . .why don't they go to other historic meetings ? is it purely the 'prestige' of the occaision like a day at the races ? or is it more to do with the other events and the way theyre promoted etc ?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1396397)   #30
fangio
Racer

fangio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All members invited to come and see me with the GT40 in the Whitsun Trophy!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1396423)   #31
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a small warning to all those who intend to approaching Goodwood on the A27 from the West.

There are currently roadworks on the A27 south of Chichester at the Stockbridge roundabout, and they are due to be there for the next 12 weeks!!

The traffic problems could be even worse than usual!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1396461)   #32
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
very good point, the paying punter is watching rather than driving.

for those that can't make it . . .why don't they go to other historic meetings ? is it purely the 'prestige' of the occaision like a day at the races ? or is it more to do with the other events and the way theyre promoted etc ?
Goodwood is an example how it should be done - in an ideal world.
If you go to the theatre or to a concert, you pay to watch the entertainment the venue has promoted. The performers do not pay the venue
to appear! It's the other way round. The promoter relies on selling tickets to punters. As Lord March provides such a mouth watering line-up each year, enticing many fans with star cars, drivers, bikes and aircraft, plus the period side attractions, he gets good ticket sales plus sponsorship of the event, more than covering his costs in getting the cars and personnel there and looking after them.

Many people take friends to the revival. The whole experience is an eye opener to those who may not have been motor racing before. There could not be a better introduction. Other events such as Spa, Silverstone Classic, Gold Cup etc are good too but Goodwood as an experience for spectators is way ahead as there is so much to see and it has that magic thing with a capital 'A' - Atmosphere!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1396504)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very well said, Andrew!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1396509)   #34
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had it confirmed by the Old Man he's letting loose in the C'type.

Yippee

J.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1396521)   #35
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Keep it on the black stuff Jase! Is Alan out in his Brabham in the Glover Trophy too?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1396525)   #36
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No there only having 1.5 litre cars this year so he's only got the Birdcage out.

Old 1 Sep 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1396665)   #37
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Many people take friends to the revival. The whole experience is an eye opener to those who may not have been motor racing before. There could not be a better introduction. Other events such as Spa, Silverstone Classic, Gold Cup etc are good too but Goodwood as an experience for spectators is way ahead as there is so much to see and it has that magic thing with a capital 'A' - Atmosphere!
Got it in one, Andrew! We're all of a mind to cheerfully support the VSCC, HSCC, BDC etc in their historic race meetings, but Goodwood is the one to bring the non-aficionado to for a first taster. I'll be bringing a newbie to the meeting this year who has been coaxed as much by the prospect of a pleasure-trip in a Dragon Rapide as by the thought of the cars.

So in answer to Stephen on page 1 (sorry - was at a festival all weekend) yes, I'll be there, so will Bluebottle and family, so will Suzy too, plus new visitors. Looking forward to meeting up with as many people as possible.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1396704)   #38
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hope to meet you too Tim. Should we make a plan for a 10/10ths meet?
Suggestions anyone? By the beer tent?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1396761)   #39
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We will be in period costume, sort of! Does anyone have a 50's or 60's stlyle pram we could borrow for Babybottle 2nd??
Old 5 Sep 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1399294)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
thats what I was wondering . . .if our littlun arrives early and we make it we'll need to borrow a Silver cross pram from somewhere !
Old 6 Sep 2005, 06:33 (Ref:1400048)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To endorse what Zeferally said I think that to call it the largest is somewhat imaginative, possibly the most impressive (until the Silverstone Classic irons out its teething problems) but there are several that are bigger and possibly better? I for one would never miss Spa.....
Old 6 Sep 2005, 06:58 (Ref:1400055)   #42
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
IMO, the Silverstone classic will never in a million years be as good an historic event as the revival, as long as they have F1 cars racing there. It is a modern looking circuit, miles of run-off areas and armco, grey drab buildings. 250Fs never raced near any armco, well very little anyway. The cars at Goodwood are historic and the circuit has been revived to look the part too, few gravel traps, nice lawns, a real garden party. You could never create the 'time warp' effect at Silverstone. The only nice lawn at Silverstone is for the club members not the public.
All of the people I know who race or are involved in preparing cars for the revival rate it by far the best, except for the 'hassle' of not having the transporter nearby. But they go along with it as that would spoil the look. All historic competitors I know want that invitation!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 07:13 (Ref:1400061)   #43
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think most woould agree the Coys Historic was the best and the Silverstone Classic will be the same. I personally go to race. If I want a garden party I will go to the village fete and I have a nice lawn at home ;-)

Yes I agree that Goodwood has a snob cashe and that drivers do want an invite but in terms of racing I think you will find that competitive drivers and preppers alike prefer Spa every time to Goodwood
Old 6 Sep 2005, 07:30 (Ref:1400070)   #44
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
As we discussed earlier in this thread, different views from competitors versus spectators. The BRDC and Spa organisers receive income from entrants, Goodwood is all down to the paying punter. But to put another angle on it - you try getting media accreditation for Goodwood! It is vastly over subscribed, all the national dailies send hacks and journalists and snappers from all over the world, like a GP! Does not happen in such vast amounts at the Silverstone historic events.

Don't get me wrong, Silverstone is a great event and will be a better each year, but until they put the proper Woodcote corner back instead of that 'mickey mouse' F1 stadium section, it will never compare, say to the 'almost' flat Fordwater. Corners that these older cars were designed for!

It is the large number of quality historic events that keeps my lifelong interest in motor racing alive. But Goodwood is the pinnacle for me. Very grateful for the interest in historics as there is nothing very interesting in modern racing these days.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1400100)   #45
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
. 250Fs never raced near any armco, well very little anyway. nice lawns, a real garden party. You could never create the 'time warp' effect at Silverstone. The only nice lawn at Silverstone is for the club members not the public.
none of those cars ever raced in period with garden parties and bands playing in the background, and I'd wager there was plenty of grey buildings in the background as well.

theres no doubt that Goodwood is a stunning spectacle, but it has very thick rose tinted spectacles on, and the same goes for us. remeber its only in the last year they've started clamping down on cars and prep in an attempt to try and maintain the historic factor before it turned into sidewinder 70's hotrod racing.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1400110)   #46
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes agreed but not the modern shiny grey constructions like Silverstone has.
If ever historics looked out of place it was the unsuccessful Rockingham festival.

It is the 'look' that creates the atmosphere and attracts the vast crowds and interest. Goodwood by its very nature is a far more attractive place than Silverstone. Beautiful cars in a beautiful setting. What could be better! That is why 103,000 went last year. However hard the BRDC may try, they will be pushed to match that. There is such a crowded calendar of events to choose from and from a punters point of view, Goodwood is 'the' historic event. It is also shown on national TV, the week after the race on a Sunday afternoon.

To correct my earlier post, the only 'large' amount of armco anywhere near a 250F was probably at Monza, on the banking. But Goodwood does not have one of those anyway - or Silverstone.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1400113)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Horses for courses, guys. The atmosphere at Goodwood maybe 'garden party' but the racing certainly isn't and the depth of quality historic cars and drivers is simply incredible. I also loved the Silverstone Coys event and its replacement will hopefully match it and become an established fixture on the historic racing calender. The two complement each other wonderfully and there are plenty of other meetings to support them. I don't think we always realise how lucky we are in the UK for the depth and quality of our historic racing scene.

Incidentally, Zefarelly, I'd love to see two historic classes that cater for the late 1960's early 70's modsports (wide wheeled E types, Tuscans, Healey's, Elans etc) and Silhouette saloons (Mick Hill's Boss Capri, John Popes Aston Magnum, Dave Brodie's 'Run Baby, Run' etc), although not at Goodwood as they are a little too recent.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1400115)   #48
simon drabble
Veteran

Certainly many of the tin tops have little resemblence to 60's cars - the Alfa Giulia Super 2 years ago was in fact a 1970's model! (But it was Julius' own car so maybe that is why it had a blind eye turned to it!)
I think we all agree that it does make a great spectacle and you are right it does attract many non petrolhead spectators. However it is not a hard racing environment as the other meetings are - in fact hard racing is positively discouraged. Its a bit sugar coated.
Sure Silverstone is a little sterile for some but as a driver I do like the GP circuit, just as I like Brands GP and Spa. Ithink the diference is that spectators at the other meetings are true enthusiasts whereas Goodwood is a bit like Polo at Smiths Lawn - more a social occassion with most not watching any polo and not understanding what they are watching. Does that make Goodwood better than the other meetings? Not neccessarily but it makes it the most successful though and to that end the others would do well to pick up some ideas from it (which Silverstone Classic with their fun fair). Lets hope I dont double post this time!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1400118)   #49
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner

Incidentally, Zefarelly, I'd love to see two historic classes that cater for the late 1960's early 70's modsports (wide wheeled E types, Tuscans, Healey's, Elans etc) and Silhouette saloons (Mick Hill's Boss Capri, John Popes Aston Magnum, Dave Brodie's 'Run Baby, Run' etc), although not at Goodwood as they are a little too recent.
That would be really something John. But I doubt if many exist.
They would definitely not be suited to pre '66 Goodwood but would look splendid at Silverstone, the Oulton Gold Cup and Brands Superprix meetings.

Where are they now? Chatham's DD300 is still around but reverted to original spec without I believe wide wheel arches. Great memories of John Quick, Warren Pearce, Mike Loveday, John Burbidge in E-types, Brian Hough's Tuscan, John 'plastic' Pearson's XK120, Jon Fletcher's Elan, John Gott's Healey etc etc. Supersaloons would be something else again!
Old 6 Sep 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1400123)   #50
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
However it is not a hard racing environment as the other meetings are - in fact hard racing is positively discouraged. Its a bit sugar coated.
I must disagree with you on this point though Simon. Hard racing involving 'contact' is rightly discouraged, but the racing at the revival is as hard as you will find anywhere! Just look at the way Duncan Dayton and Mark Gillies were battling last year in Cooper and Lotus 16. One of the best races I have ever seen was the 50s sportscars at the '98 revival, won by Robert Brooks. Sensationally close racing, too close at times especially off the startline alongside Mr.Sytner!