Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Oct 2005, 07:29 (Ref:1422493)   #26
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH
If there had been the hoped for 180 entries

180 x £4000 = £720,000

Where would that money have gone to ?
The income = profit error that takes so many into insolvency!
Old 3 Oct 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1422562)   #27
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhands
As I've said on the thread in the marshals area, for me this event was a washout - four days wasted at considerable personal expense. Don't forget the only people available to marshal midweek are normally the idle rich (who don't do it anyway_ and the unemployed/pensioners who look for value for money (enjoyment per £ of personal expense).
Oh how I wish I was one of those idle rich, instead took a days leave to Marshal at Cadwell, for three reason:

1) Support my home circuit.
2) See some exceptional cars racing.
3) Support a new series.

On the whole couldn't knock it, roll on next year.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1422682)   #28
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish that I was one of the idle rich instead of a poor pensioner. I hav eto agree that for me the attraction was the cars and even though the racing was at best average it was a pleasure to see them. I still stand by my original comments though that the marshals were obviously remembered in the organisation of the event but forgotten on the day.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1423628)   #29
rbm
Racer

rbm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it wasn't for the like of Max (Blackhands) I guess we wouldn't be able to play, It seams the organisers seem to forget - no overlook the need of ,perhaps, the marshals more often than the competitors.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1423740)   #30
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We really tried to look after everyone this year. Maybe at times we failed but I guarantee the 2006 event will be better for everyone be they entrants, marshals, spectators. The telephone calls we have received in the last three weeks have been incredibly supportive.

Tour Britannia will be (a little) bigger and a lot better for all in 2006.

Fred
Old 5 Oct 2005, 07:44 (Ref:1424202)   #31
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
100 cars max, same costs we will be there.Different hotel? Its 4600Euro for Le Mans classic.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1424436)   #32
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I marshalled the Loton day (one of the benefits of only working part-time at the moment). Good fun and the organisers and drivers were friendly. Sure, things could be improved but nothing (from my point of view) which mattered was wrong. Circumstances permitting, I will certainly be back next year.

Regards

Jim
Old 8 Oct 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1427577)   #33
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, this was on RPM. First time that I've ever even heard of the event. Looks like a lot of fun. Havn't seen Ray Bellm compete, only I knew he used to do the BTCC.
And Adrian Newy in a GT40 was worth seeing. Good coverage on RPM too.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1428519)   #34
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

The two RPM programmes will be repeated on Motors TV, soon I believe.

Fred
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1429399)   #35
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
roadmap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nows the time to start signing up.

I confirmed yesterday to pay around £2500 (special rate) for the Targa Florio tour in May next year. Its for five days and it makes the Tour Brittania very good value indeed if you compare the race circuits the superb touring bit and the exciting Food and wine ( Well maybe not the food and wine ). We in the North West (Oulten Park was there on Saturday wet but very busy) or one of our Hill Climb venues and the Lake District can offer additional interesting venues. The potential European entrants would love it.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1429443)   #36
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roadmap, which of the various Targa Florio events is this? There seem to be about three different ones!

As posted on another thread, am trying to enter this next year, as my car competed on it in '62 and '63, but want to register for the 'official event...

Is there a website?

Regards,

James W

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmap
I confirmed yesterday to pay around £2500 (special rate) for the Targa Florio tour in May next year. Its for five days and it makes the Tour Brittania very good value indeed if you compare the race circuits the superb touring bit and the exciting Food and wine ( Well maybe not the food and wine ). We in the North West (Oulten Park was there on Saturday wet but very busy) or one of our Hill Climb venues and the Lake District can offer additional interesting venues. The potential European entrants would love it.
Old 14 Oct 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1433771)   #37
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
roadmap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Targa Florio

Hi James

Its the 100yr anniversary and begins on the 30th May.

I believe their website is. www.100annitargaflorio.it

Rgds

Stewart
Old 18 Oct 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1436742)   #38
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually managed to see most of the first RPM programme on Motors TV last night. Great racing footage at Cadwell, including in-car. Didn't get to see enough of John's wonderful Talbot 105, though, unless it was in the bit I missed!
Old 18 Oct 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1436775)   #39
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
John-Garath had the No1 car and I was left with the reserve! Thanks
Old 18 Oct 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1436802)   #40
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Lots of footage of John's great Talbot in Part 2.

Fred
Old 18 Oct 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1436959)   #41
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Fred, looking forward to seeing it (them? - John, does that mean you were running two?).
Old 18 Oct 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1436970)   #42
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

John entered a Talbot 105 for himself in Regularity, one for the incredibly fast Gareth Burnett in Competition, and the wonderful C-Type Jaguar that looked like it had just finished the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Nick Finburgh.

Fred
Old 18 Oct 2005, 15:24 (Ref:1437034)   #43
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Fred.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1437377)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Motors TV repeated the whole of Britannia 1 today. looking forward to the second part nexrt week. The event certainly has a great 'feel' about it and with a great variety of superb cars and fine drivers. And Fred, I know what you look like now; a mere youngster!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1437633)   #45
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

....a mere youngster of 53!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1437748)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Must be the healthy lifestyle and all that activity outdoors organising those super cars; I'm 56 but reckon you look at least 10 years younger!
Old 20 Oct 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1438928)   #47
Lotus47
Rookie

Lotus47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did It

Hello, I did the Tour Britannia and it was..........fantastic.
Where do you find 100 years old hill climb ?
Charming people, no stress, very nice stewards.
Great tracks, now I hope that he will not become too popular ! and become stessfull

How about a 1/4 miles acceleration test ? Who will see who have the more power !
Old 21 Oct 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1439666)   #48
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Which car Must be one of those V8 tanks.They looked good
Old 21 Oct 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1439756)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A nice piece about the event in the November issue of The Automobile, as well as one on the works Talbot 90s.

Welcome Lotus 47; I'd like to know which car you were in as well.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 08:11 (Ref:1440370)   #50
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Should start a Talbot thread as the 90 piece is of a car that shall we say is tired.The other works 90's and GX68 can cruise at 70=80mph with a top speed of iooMPH .4000RPM with a 4.3 back axle should be 90 mph as its 23mph per 1000rpm.Presumably the 90 tested will soon be for sale and it can be rebuilt properly with the normal silent engine and proper information from the instruments. Nuff said