Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Oct 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1440488)   #51
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Should start a Talbot thread ....

Hope you don't regret saying that, John:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...85#post1440485
Old 23 Oct 2005, 05:04 (Ref:1440999)   #52
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
John Will do.Expect answer by wed.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 06:34 (Ref:1441792)   #53
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Lotus 47 in Lotus 47 I am a bit old and slow,sorry
Old 24 Oct 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1441885)   #54
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Logical, John, but not necessarily true; he might have other suitable machinery, especially as there was a reference to 'who will have more power'. That is not the first thing I think of when a Lotus 47 is mentioned. Handling and nibbleness more readily come to mind. I certainly don't feel embarrassed about backing your question up. I assume that your programme/entry list confirms that it was indeed a Lotus 47!
Old 26 Oct 2005, 05:35 (Ref:1443573)   #55
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Think it was entered as a Europa but I cant tell the difference,too new. Bet Ted's got a picture
Old 26 Oct 2005, 06:12 (Ref:1443589)   #56
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special entered and driven by Amnon Needham on the event. He was second behind Barrie Williams MGB in the first race at Cadwell.

Fred
Old 26 Oct 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1444093)   #57
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Fred; we'll go with that shall we, unless or until Lotus47 confirms or denies!

John, the 47 (I saw its race debut at brands!) was the racing version of the Europa but the lines have become blurred as many Europas have been modified to race spec. Much discussed here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...88#post1428088
Old 3 Nov 2005, 23:27 (Ref:1451700)   #58
edmcd
Rookie

edmcd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tour Britannia

I have just come in from Chris Knapman's preview evening for his book sale at Silverstone this weekend, and heard that my name had come up on the forum.

I had the great good fortune to sit next to Gareth Burnett for the four days as he hurled the Talbot 105 round the country. He did warn me there were no belts and no roll cages, and I am pleased that the moments of terror were limited...intense...but limited. I believe it would not be wise for me to say how quickly we went at one or two points on the road, but one of the team Talbots recorded over 130 mph at Le Mans!

There is no doubt in my mind that the Tour could/should become a british Tour Auto. In some ways it was better, as Tour Auto people complain about the great road distances they do, staying somewhere different every night. The idea to return to Stratford was a good one, and it left you with the energy to concentrate on performance. I was surprised that the road sections looked reasonably relaxed, but the slightest problem meant you had to hurry. Our two gearbox rebuilding excursions were followed by what I believe is called 'brisk motoring'.

While Ray Bellm 'won', the key competition was for the Index of Performance and that gave the pre-war cars the chance to lead. The Talbot ran second overall on Index and was close to the much larger engined Invicta until the ignominy of having the hub shear on the last stage of the last day. Gareth and I were happy to see John and Jeremy win the Regularity with the other Talbot, and I am grateful to John for having me in the team. There was a nice report in Circuit Driver, and Vintage Racecar and Autocollezioni will have big stories in their next issues. Fred and Alec, it was a very enjoyable event. The small field was good for a first time event, and should double for next year. I was there because I was on the first Tour of Britain in 1973, and that took awhile to get into a stride. I think the event deserved a lot more coverage but that will get there. The Tour Auto and Tour d'Espagna are expensive and grueling, and the TB will be every bit as good. Loton Park in a 71 year old Talbot...or round the banking at Rockingham...great.

Ed McDonough
Old 4 Nov 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1452022)   #59
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great to hear from you Ed, with your comments. You should post more often! you might have something pertinent to say in this thread too!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=75527&page=2
Old 6 Nov 2005, 01:16 (Ref:1453159)   #60
edmcd
Rookie

John Turner welcome

John:
Thanks for the nice welcome. If only someone could invent the 30 hour day , I would find some time here. But's 1.10 AM and I am square eyed from too many hours on the keyboard. need to take some time to read because I am aware that I miss a lot of interesting thoughts. I am working on a De Portago book at the moment...that might get some comments going. Had a great day recently with Robert Daley who wrot e the Cruel Sport, Cars At Speed, etc. He really discovered Portago in the sense that he was the first journalist to talk to him seriously. A good stroy, with many myths to be held up to the light of day.

Ed Mcdonough
Old 7 Nov 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1454010)   #61
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Hi, Ed, point taken! You could start a De Portago thread; you never know what interesting comments might turn up!
Old 7 Nov 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1454021)   #62
edmcd
Rookie

John:
The interesting thing about the de Portago thread is that there are so many myths and I am trying to look at the myths, without debunking the legend. If you read everything ever written about him in chronological order, you will see the art of embellishment clearly displayed. He didn't do many of the things attributed to him, nevertheless has a charisma...probably as a result of 'ending' the Mille Miglia, and in a sense ending an era. He fitted nicely into the fantasy '50s!

I am hunting for photos and anecdotes...I would really like to hear the stories people know.

Ed McDonough
Old 7 Nov 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1454378)   #63
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ed, thread started here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76202
Old 12 Nov 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1458703)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
2006 Tour Britannia discussed here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76325
Old 17 Nov 2005, 02:37 (Ref:1462849)   #65
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gallagher
There was a Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special entered and driven by Amnon Needham on the event. He was second behind Barrie Williams MGB in the first race at Cadwell.

Fred
Yes, thats correct, its the same car Amnon and I co-drove in a few Tour Autos. Nice handling thing, but endless engine problems.