Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Oct 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1432504)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That Spa 6 hour winning Aston

Those of you who followed the very long Spa 6 hour thread may remember that I got a 'bee in my bonnet' about the description of the Aston which won the event in the hands of Wolfgang Friedrichs, David Clark and Simon Hadfield. The car was described in the timing sheets (thank you, Simon Drabble) and in Autosport as a DB4GT, whilst clearly the photo displayed in Autosport of the winning car was not a standard bodied DB4GT. I suggested that it looked more like Project 214 and Simon was able to confirm that it was a DB4GT fitted with a replica Project Aston body.

Now, however, in its report of the event, MotorSport describes the winning car as (the one and only) Project 212. I am pretty certain that Wolfgang Friedrichs does indeed own the real Project 212, and it regularly appears at the Goodwood TT one hour Revival race, but I think it also likely (as Simon says) that he would not subject this valuable car to a 6 hour slog round Spa. In, any event, the Autosport picture suggests to me the 214 shape (and they are different!), so I am going with DB4GT with 214 replica body for the Spa winner (DB4GT214R for short!).

This is a classic example of how inaccuracy of description and reporting in motor racing leads to these errors being perpetuated down the years so that they eventaually become 'facts'. It's why I felt so strongly about this particular issue. Hopefully the AMOC will have all this properly recorded in the next issue of their register.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1432507)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You mean this one John, definitely a 214 front body shape.
Taken by excellent Belgian photographer 'Pedro 917'
http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?im...tindb4gt4b.jpg
Old 13 Oct 2005, 09:56 (Ref:1432513)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that you will find that the car he runs at Goodwood is the same one that ran at Spa.....
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1432542)   #4
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, that's not P212, it certainly looks like 214 or 215.

I thought Simon Draper owned one of those, don't know about the other - but someone replicated the scrapped Brian Hetreed car a few tears ago.............

Paul M
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1432546)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
You mean this one John, definitely a 214 front body shape.
Taken by excellent Belgian photographer 'Pedro 917'
http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?im...tindb4gt4b.jpg
Andrew, the plot thickens. That car is carrying the competition number 151, (and if I was to stick my neck out even further, looks more like 215), whereas, the picture in Autosport carries the no 81. Has anyone got the entry list for this event? This really beginning to bug me!
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1432548)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I think that you will find that the car he runs at Goodwood is the same one that ran at Spa.....
No, I don't think so Simon, they are quite diffferent and I am certain the car at Goodwood is the genuine article and defintely 212.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1432550)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
for the car numbers etc... go to www.motorclassic.com and go to 6 Hour and then to the results etc.. I think that he also ran in the Gentlemen Drivers race on the Sunday. You could be right about Goodwood Spa just know that the 6 Hour car is brought out for other events...
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1432551)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

is the latest Motorsport out?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1432554)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca
No, that's not P212, it certainly looks like 214 or 215.

I thought Simon Draper owned one of those, don't know about the other - but someone replicated the scrapped Brian Hetreed car a few tears ago.............

Paul M

Yes, Paul, of the 4 project cars built (DP212, DP214 x2, DP215), 3 survive and the other (one of the 214s) was written off in Brian Hetreed's fatal accident. Ken Lawrence replicated that latter car, and, I guess this could subsequently have been owned by Draper. It maybe even this car that won the Spa 6 hours this year, but it would be great to clarify all this!

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Oct 2005 at 10:56.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1432555)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
is the latest Motorsport out?
Yes, got mine through the post, yesterday!
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1432559)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

mine must be at home - I will go to Smiths at lunch to have a browse - did they have much on the 6 Hour Race?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1432570)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Sadly not Simon, less than half a page, and half of that was a photo!
Old 13 Oct 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1432594)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

sounds like the gripes on another forum are justified then!!!
Old 13 Oct 2005, 11:16 (Ref:1432595)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Right, I've looked at the website, which Simon pointed to.

Car 81 entered as a DB4GT, driven by Friedrichs, Clark and Hadfield, the winning car and therefore the one clothed in a 214 replica body, quite possibly the Ken Lawrence replica but not certain.

Car no 151 (the picture referred to by Andrew) is not listed; competition nos only went to 135 in this event, so I now have a new mystery to solve!

Project 212, a different (and original Project car) owned and entered by Friedrichs, and driven by him and David Clark at the Goodwood TT Revival the weekend before Spa.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 11:25 (Ref:1432599)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another by Pedro 917
http://img287.imageshack.us/my.php?i...tindb4gt3z.jpg
Old 13 Oct 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1432602)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

I have just tried registering with him to see if he has any photos of my car and I have to agree to be spammed by Land rover or three other companies - is that right or have I made an error somewhere? do i have to register to look at his photos?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1432696)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'm now thinking that 81 and 151 are the same car, so any ideas as to why this car apparently carried 151 at some stage of the Spa weekend. It doesn't appear to have been entered in any of the other events? Is it possible that it carried 151 during practice (can't think why, though)?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1432745)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

long shot but was that the number that his Aston was carrying at Goodwood the week before?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1432760)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
No, that was no 27 and anyway, I'd rather hoped I'd persuaded you they weren't the same car!
Old 13 Oct 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1432765)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

clutching at straws!!!
I am trying to think - there was a free practice on the Thursday, maybe this shot was taken then and it was displaying an old number from a previous race.....
Old 13 Oct 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1432772)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, now that's possible. Trouble is, and I'm really annoyed with myself that I didn't know until this all came up from the Autosport photo, I wasn't aware that a 214 Replica (THE 214 replica?) was doing the circuits, so where would it have been before. Anyone know?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1432818)   #22
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shoot this car at post 23 saturday at 9:58 pm according exif data so...
it was the qualifying practice and the enty list is here :

http://www.motorclassic.com/spa/pdf/GTS2_EntryList.pdf

hope it helps
Regards
Old 13 Oct 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1432821)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

That is Carol Spagg's Gentlemen Drivers race. An excellant grid as always and I am sure including most peoples wish list of GT and Endurance cars of that era.....
Old 13 Oct 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1432826)   #24
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thers photos of it here www.gallery.ukmotorsportpics.com at Oulton Gold Cup and Silverstone Classic bearing number 151.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1432827)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

Carol had a race at both of those meetings - it must be their series race number... problem solved!