Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Sep 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2282196)   #1
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC finale @ Brands 20-21 Sept

Final instructions:-

"Marshals may camp in the '"Racing Green' field behind the Hotel at the main entrance but facilities only include some water standpipes. Other facilities are available in the paddock or The Kentagon - but there is no camping by these areas. 'Marshals may drive to the facilities via the main gate.'"

(my emphasis)

Does driving include driving while totally ****ed? - anybody want to be the designated driver on the campsite?
Old 5 Sep 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2282225)   #2
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, My tickets are going straight back then, they really are taking the, er, urine, with this, at least we know what they think of us.
Shame, cause I like Brands and now will never go back again
I hope others do the same, fancy encouraging drink driving
Really winds me up that to visit Brands is a tank of fuel, about £70 at the moment, and they stick us in the back corner and pretend we are not there.
Who is responsible for neglecting us??

Is this the insrtuctions that come with the tickets?

Now to decide what to do instead.....
Old 5 Sep 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2282244)   #3
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
Shame, cause I like Brands and now will never go back again

Is this the insrtuctions that come with the tickets?
Yeah, I know what you mean. They had the same problem for the 750mc meet, my only previous visit to Brands, but then there were only about a dozen marshals on the camp site (not that that is an excuse for inadequate facilities). I'll see how it goes this time, but I will also reconsider going there again if this seems like a permanent problem.

Yes, all came with the tickets, which arrived today.

PS. Don't you mean "fancy encouraging people to widdle in the hedges" (yes I realise that even this is not an option for everyone, but even that is bad enough)
Old 5 Sep 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2282256)   #4
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
more worried about the fertilizer that will be put down!!
To be honest I've never had trouble there before, except for the restaurant not being able to cook toast, but as one of there biggest meetings of the year, the amount of money they will be getting in, they could easily afford to use >£500 for a toilet/shower block (you'd even think with so many 2 day meetings there they would have permanent facilities for us)
Old 5 Sep 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2282530)   #5
peter195001
Racer

peter195001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
moaning aside whats the time table for that weekend and how many marshal,s are according to BARC have they got.?

tempted to do round of touring cars but not if "too many on post"
Old 5 Sep 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2282559)   #6
speedy jon
Racer

Wales
pencoed
speedy jon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

lee,
why not come to goodwood revival? we have showers there. they might not be brill but least its something
Old 5 Sep 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2282569)   #7
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter195001
moaning aside whats the time table for that weekend and how many marshal,s are according to BARC have they got.?

tempted to do round of touring cars but not if "too many on post"
Don't have the instructions to hand, but there are tons of marshals on the sheet - Sunday's list actually runs on to the back page. Strangely, there are only 8 obs on Sat, and a couple more on Sun.

Basic timetable is practise & quali on Saturday, with 3 races to finish the day, then races on Sunday. Sign on is 7.15 & 8.15 respectively, IIRC.

Last edited by Guinness2702; 5 Sep 2008 at 22:14.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2282578)   #8
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Come and join us at Sillystone for the Britcar 24hrs. Free drinks on Friday night, facilities all over the place and hot pies delivered to you on post. And a lot closer to home.
Old 5 Sep 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2282588)   #9
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine both BTCC and Goodwood volunteering lists are now closed, but as WFM says, you would be most welcome at Sillystone for the Britcar 24hr.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 10:32 (Ref:2282758)   #10
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it said the same at the beggining of the season at Brands but we had toilets and showers in the campsite

Think it is a standard letter that they havent changed!
Old 6 Sep 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2282922)   #11
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
Come and join us at Sillystone for the Britcar 24hrs. Free drinks on Friday night, facilities all over the place and hot pies delivered to you on post. And a lot closer to home.
Good point. If you're in the midlands and the Britcar 24 doesn't appeal, why not pop along to the BARC meeting at Mallory on Sunday 21st (2CVs, Karts, Tigers, Formula Fords). Just got my instructions through, as usual BARC publish the names and grades of all marshals and it looks like they could use a few more, especially incident marshals and observers.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2282983)   #12
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A little harsh.
They are hardly encouraing drink driving. Surely any responsible adult that knows they are going to want to (not HAVE to) get behind the wheel will chose not to drink......

Rosie
Old 6 Sep 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2282986)   #13
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
& if you don't drink then you probably wont have to D&D because you wont need to go........takes half the fun of the campsite away for me then.

Not having a drink I mean, not drinking & driving.
Old 6 Sep 2008, 19:02 (Ref:2282987)   #14
Don`t mention the war!
Rookie

Wales
swansea
Don`t mention the war! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli
it said the same at the beggining of the season at Brands but we had toilets and showers in the campsite

Think it is a standard letter that they havent changed!
I agree. I went 2 brands once last year, and had exactly the same in my instructions. When i got there, there were toilets and showers. Very welcome after a long day!!!
Old 7 Sep 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2283387)   #15
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Racing Green campsite has no facilities, which considering it is also the public campsite is disgraceful. I thought after the 750 meeting our complaints had been 'noted' but apparently not. All they need is a guard on the back gate, then you could walk through to the toilets, and even down to the showers in the paddock area. I will be at the 24hr but I think its disgraceful really. OK, the men can use the bushes if they have to, but they SHOULDNT have to, and what about us ladies?!
As Lee said, considering the amount of money they will make from this, a toilet block, or someone to open the gate into the circuit wouldnt make the biggest dent. And with security on the gate, no-one would need to drive round to the main entrance, so no problems with drink-driving then either - this will happen of course, completely stupidly and un-neccessarily!
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2283639)   #16
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pebbles
The Racing Green campsite has no facilities, which considering it is also the public campsite is disgraceful. I thought after the 750 meeting our complaints had been 'noted' but apparently not. All they need is a guard on the back gate, then you could walk through to the toilets, and even down to the showers in the paddock area. I will be at the 24hr but I think its disgraceful really. OK, the men can use the bushes if they have to, but they SHOULDNT have to, and what about us ladies?!
As Lee said, considering the amount of money they will make from this, a toilet block, or someone to open the gate into the circuit wouldnt make the biggest dent. And with security on the gate, no-one would need to drive round to the main entrance, so no problems with drink-driving then either - this will happen of course, completely stupidly and un-neccessarily!
You could always get a taxi from the Kentagon to the campsite and charge it to JP.
Old 7 Sep 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2283856)   #17
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Are we really meant to share camp sites???
As pebbles said, these are not the same instructions as last time (i'm sad, I keep all my marshalling paper work!) we are not in the normal campsite we use, and is a fair old trek to the paddock ones, in what will probably be horrid weather
Sorry, but I have to get up early every day for work, I wont get there till about 10.30, I want a few basic luxuries, no, make that essentials.
Who Is responsible for our facilities (make that total lack of) so I can find out the situation.
Guess some one there is getting a big pat on the back for saving the circuit a few pounds.
Still you could be driving and have to park outside by some industrial units!!!
Old 7 Sep 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2284032)   #18
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I just add that quite often these arrangements for Camping Marshals are down to the Organising Club for that Meeting, not necessarily MSV!! Please do not blame JP yet! However, I can add that £500 for a Toilet Block etc quoted elswhere, is not quite accurate, It does need to be serviced, cleaned, facilities replaced such as disenfectant, soap, toilet rolls etc, and the true cost can be as much as £3,500 for upto a three day Meeting. At present, can we just watch this space!!!!
Old 7 Sep 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2284050)   #19
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not meaning to pour salt onto the wound but have people not noticed one of the comments on here which notes that this is also the usual public campsite and so no doubt would be this time?
Old 8 Sep 2008, 05:24 (Ref:2284315)   #20
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Never used to cost 3k on a building site!!
so. what is our normal site being used for, and if the last btcc meeting there is anything to go buy we will all get stuck in the allocated site, was watching the jcb at work towing people out, and was only mildly moist then!
Old 8 Sep 2008, 15:46 (Ref:2284793)   #21
lisaw
Rookie

lisaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone need a lift to Brands, I'm travelling from Andover area on the friday evening and will be returning on monday morning.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2285012)   #22
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
Quote:
Never used to cost 3k on a building site!!
so. what is our normal site being used for, and if the last btcc meeting there is anything to go buy we will all get stuck in the allocated site, was watching the jcb at work towing people out, and was only mildly moist then!
Probably the cost on a building site was less as it was a long term rental hire. A large amount of the cost is the transporting and removing the Units before and after a Meeting. Are those on a building site, I ask, fully serviced by Contractors during the Hire ??
Old 8 Sep 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2285017)   #23
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
I am very pleased to report, that I have been advised by the highest authority, that the instructions sent, were, in fact, incorrect. The usual Camp Site WILL be available to Marshals; and Toilets, Showers and Lighting will be supplied by MSV Circuits. I hope, therefore, this will be appreciated by all the Marshals: Friends and Families that use them, so that they can be available again at all major meetings in 2009!
Old 8 Sep 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2285079)   #24
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaic gold
Toilets, Showers and Lighting will be supplied by MSV Circuits.
...so, no beer then?

tight f***ers!
Old 8 Sep 2008, 23:13 (Ref:2285143)   #25
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Archaic, Thanks for that, they are VERY much appreciated, there is a god!
thanks MSV!