Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3874239)   #226
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm with you on the road car front Iain.

A Mike-esque lorry now that is a dream! And someone to wash it. . ....
I’m dreaming of a newer tractor unit and posher trailer, Max. So if they ever happen (no lotto win yet) I’ll give you first refusal!

And more important than having someone to wash it is having somewhere to park it....

As for road cars, I get zero enjoyment driving on the UK road network, so anything exotic would be a complete waste.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3874241)   #227
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Guess I still dream of racing a 917 al Le Mans . You never know what the next phone call might bring .
Old 6 Jan 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3874243)   #228
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I should point out that in my dream, the MG was still on the drive, just not in the Garage.

As to racing? As someone with no connection with motorsport I think I've been bloody lucky. I've driven two cars that formed my opinion of touring car racing and a few others that were just fun.

I've made some friends, a couple of enemies and had a ball doing it. Shared tracks with some great racers and even given them a run for their money at times.

This year is likely to be my last in racing, although things may change, so I'm planning on taking the MG to Le Mans in June. Racing the other one at Spa end of June and perhaps few MGCC or HSCC events. Then I expect to hang up the helmet and go fishing.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3874244)   #229
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyone else had the latest edition of Motor Sport? Hints of big changes, various writers signing off. No Dickie Meadon this month either. I suppose we'll find out in good time, I just hope it doesn't go red again! To my mind the last few years have been a golden period.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I have,I find Dickies the most interesting of the regulars section.I like the bit on the Radicals and Mike Hailwood bit.Have any others writers not featured on the mag this month?
I find it very good .I spend most of the time looking at the cars for sale sections.The historic news aswell I quite like aswell
Your favourites of it?
Old 6 Jan 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3874245)   #230
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A road car is a tool do a job, as long as it starts when I want it to, and stops when I need it to, not a lot else in between is of critical importance. I would never own/drive any car for what it could do for my 'image', only because it was fun to drive. My best 'image' car was an Alfa Romeo Veloce, however, despite being able to overtake rather well it handled like a bowl of soup, (as Innes Ireland put it.)
To be honest I never could afford anything really posh anyway.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3874246)   #231
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Midget may be I found something you could use both as a daily and a race car. The best of both worlds, definitely! The rear "rack" will happily collect your spare wheels:
https://fr.motor1.com/news/283549/po...guee-a-vendre/

I just learned the German intend to build 77 continuations, evocations, look alike, replicas of the 935. I'll go for a die cast model…

Zef, a Talbot?? I can tell you I made the BLT on the original Charade track during a race in June 1984. Lap time was 4'06"23, ave' speed 117,767 kph. The great Chris Amon did "only" 2'53"4 and 166,751 kph…
What Talbot was mine? A Samba… why asking!
Very nice,the colour aswell.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3874247)   #232
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Guess I still dream of racing a 917 al Le Mans . You never know what the next phone call might bring .
Don't we all.
I'd do it in a GULF liveried one.Like the one that was at PA Imola a few months back.One of many dreams I have.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 10:39 (Ref:3874249)   #233
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Don't we all.
I'd do it in a GULF liveried one.Like the one that was at PA Imola a few months back.One of many dreams I have.
I love looking at them, but no dreams of driving one - the front end of the “chassis” is made of knitting needles and i would be scared for my legs. The drivers of that era were very brave people.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 10:41 (Ref:3874250)   #234
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This year is likely to be my last in racing, although things may change, so I'm planning on taking the MG to Le Mans in June. Racing the other one at Spa end of June and perhaps few MGCC or HSCC events. Then I expect to hang up the helmet and go fishing.
Really sorry to hear that, Peter. End of an era? Hope not!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 11:55 (Ref:3874258)   #235
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I love looking at them, but no dreams of driving one - the front end of the “chassis” is made of knitting needles and i would be scared for my legs. The drivers of that era were very brave people.
The front right wheel arch is literally right next to your right leg.
They were indeed.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3874259)   #236
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I should point out that in my dream, the MG was still on the drive, just not in the Garage.

As to racing? As someone with no connection with motorsport I think I've been bloody lucky. I've driven two cars that formed my opinion of touring car racing and a few others that were just fun.

I've made some friends, a couple of enemies and had a ball doing it. Shared tracks with some great racers and even given them a run for their money at times.

My dad would love that,he did the same (kind of).
Old 6 Jan 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3874260)   #237
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So many topics to refer to in this reply!

Gerard, that's my lottery win money sorted....

Mike, thanks for first refusal and I'll probably be first to refuse Unless said lottery win etc

Iain, if anyone can get a drive you can so I'm looking forward to 2020

Willmaz, Simon Arron said his column is ending in its current form as did Gordon Cruikshank. Two of my favourites. Plus I think Roebuck is leaving Autosport. "The times they are a changin' "

Peter - make this a year to remember then! But you'll never hang up the helmet, you'll always do something.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jan 2019, 12:16 (Ref:3874262)   #238
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Plus I think Roebuck is leaving Autosport.
Again? Doesn't seem like 5 mins since he left Motorsport (after leaving Autosport) to return to Autosport!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 12:33 (Ref:3874264)   #239
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
In yours, should say ours because still have a 951 X in the stable, the front end of the chassis contains something I wouldn't like to see on my legs or in the cockpit…*the engine!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 12:50 (Ref:3874268)   #240
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
951 X ? Presume that’s a 944 Turbo by another (French) name? It’s always interesting to discover that in the UK we missed out on a few special ‘Water Porsche’ variants, and some air cooled ones as well. Guess cost of making a limited number in RHD put them off.....

968 Turbo S. Possibly 16 built. 968 Turbo RS? They made 4...... https://www.porscheclubgb.com/region...e-968-turbo-rs
Old 6 Jan 2019, 12:53 (Ref:3874269)   #241
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I can see Peter ending up as a C of the C. Be afraid ,in fact be very afraid. Great shame Pete as having co driven with you I know what a great driver and great team mate you is.
Thank you Max, I remember my Dad taking me to meet John Wyer in 1970.I thought this was going to be my big chance. He gave me tickets to the British GP. I was actually disappointed. Daft as a brush that's me.
Just finished 1st 10 k run of the year. I always have a look round at the start and see who might be older than me. Spotted this chap who was 88. WTF. amazing.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3874270)   #242
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
951 X ? Presume that’s a 944 Turbo by another (French) name? It’s always interesting to discover that in the UK we missed out on a few special ‘Water Porsche’ variants, and some air cooled ones as well. Guess cost of making a limited number in RHD put them off.....

968 Turbo S. Possibly 16 built. 968 Turbo RS? They made 4...... https://www.porscheclubgb.com/region...e-968-turbo-rs
Too afraid that the 968Turbo RS would wipethe floor with the 911 of the time?
Interestingly the 968T S and RS are basically the same engines as my 951 i think, except 3 litres rather than 2.5. Dont think they are 16valve engines without checking.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 13:05 (Ref:3874271)   #243
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
951 X ? Presume that’s a 944 Turbo by another (French) name?
I desperate catching you whatever the game, Mike. But will go on its the French version of your fighting spirit!
Yes, 951 X is a French code name for a '44 T also called sometimes S or Cup (real Cup are different to make things simple), we could have a Sonauto kit giving 290 hp instead of 250 (a simple chip in fact). Call them how you'll like, hairdresser's cars, Porsche for the poor, Porsche made by VW, Porsche with a kettle, zat-not-a-porker, no problemo! I could race a '24 T in '44 trim, engine suspension and so on, and attest its really a good car when you have 330+ hp under the pedal and barely more than 1000 kilos to throw from one corner to the other. May be too comfy and easy a girl and but convenient for a pensioner!
We have a rather good copy of 968 T RS racing here, probably built in Holland.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 13:11 (Ref:3874272)   #244
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Andy, please, can you give me a name to name a person you can't win any game against. Not boring, not annoying, a real nice nickname in good English. Its not for me, ya see, its for someone who…… See who?
And please dont look into the loooong list you have when moking at French. Too strong they are !
Old 6 Jan 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3874276)   #245
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did you change your gearing? We have the choice, cheating with a full 6 speed 968 unit (may be locking the first speed) or the expensive way with US gears made on order, 3 and 4 speed. I went for a S2 full unit, semi close ratio, with the 951 CWP, a cost effective choice.
Anyway this car was a transformer before they came on the screens. When you buy it, its an Audi, when you resell it its a Volkswagen and when you buy parts its for a Porsche! Fluctuation, I tell ya!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3874277)   #246
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I can see Peter ending up as a C of the C. Be afraid ,in fact be very afraid. Great shame Pete as having co driven with you I know what a great driver and great team mate you is.
Thank you Max, I remember my Dad taking me to meet John Wyer in 1970.I thought this was going to be my big chance. He gave me tickets to the British GP. I was actually disappointed. Daft as a brush that's me.
Just finished 1st 10 k run of the year. I always have a look round at the start and see who might be older than me. Spotted this chap who was 88. WTF. amazing.
Lol. Thanks for those kind words. We've enjoyed having you in the car. And we got a couple of podiums too.

But it's not all doom and gloom since I'll be able to attend the Stoke Row Motorsport weekend.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3874278)   #247
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Andy, please, can you give me a name to name a person you can't win any game against. Not boring, not annoying, a real nice nickname in good English. Its not for me, ya see, its for someone who…… See who?
And please dont look into the loooong list you have when moking at French. Too strong they are !
Must admit, Gerard, i dont understand this one.

My 951 is light and MO30 brakes and suspension but standard engine and gearbox. Handles and goes and stops very well. Would be easy to get 300bhp and a more linear power delivery with a few ecu mods by Augment Automotive who i have used before.

Its for sale if you know anyone interested!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3874279)   #248
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Too afraid that the 968Turbo RS would wipethe floor with the 911 of the time?
Interestingly the 968T S and RS are basically the same engines as my 951 i think, except 3 litres rather than 2.5. Dont think they are 16valve engines without checking.
Yes, there was (and still is) a fear among the Porsche hierarchy regarding ‘lesser models’ upstaging the 911. The 968 Turbos did indeed revert to an 8 valve head- Apart from anything else, the 968 16 valve head with its Variocam mech is huge.....
Old 6 Jan 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3874283)   #249
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I purchased many parts from Lindsay, nice people to deal with even if they do respect all the custom rules… Injectors are from England and I keep the KKK (yes my car is black) last version, not hybrid yet. The braking is fantastic, I just added a switch on the ABS system. Because of a very bad experience at Spa '75, when Masta was something meaning more than 280 kph with our RSR, I dont use vented/drilled/grooved discs any more. When one breaks at speed you can feel the fragility of your life! Mine are vented of course and some are grooved but no more drilling for me thank you!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3874284)   #250
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I recall the best speeds achieved during supporting races at Le Mans (old track, narrow, dangerous Hunaudières, no chicane, few protection if any but the trees). My blokes made something like 304 kph during the 944 Sonauto Cup.Few years before, I achieved a respectable 253 kph with my 505 Turbo without any draft. In this case with the old Pug' you needed two pilot licences!