Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 Nov 2014, 03:49 (Ref:3475665)   #626
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
about done with racing period.
I know what you mean.
About the only bright spot is the Pirelli World Challenge series. It's not perfect, but at least it still has some fantastic production based racing machines and some pretty darned good racing.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 09:52 (Ref:3475727)   #627
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see NASCAR drop the Chase entirely, going back to what they had before. I'd like to see an even bigger points gap between first and second to still put a big premium on wins though.

I will admit I do like several things with this new format, especially the intensity and controversy it has produced (I like seeing raw emotions put on display and have zero problems with the brawls we've seen). We've also seen some really good, tense races. But the format itself? Nah, not my cup of tea. I really, really tried to like it but it's just too much. Winless Newman almost stealing the trophy made that all too clear.

While last night was pretty exciting down to the final few laps, I have a feeling the overall numbers aren't gonna look too good for NASCAR. I'd be surprised if this elimination style championship format survives more than a few years.

That said I do think Harvick is a worthy Champion. He's won a lot of races, lead an absolute crapton of laps, set a personal record for pole positions in one season (by far) and had to overcome some pretty tough challenges. I'm glad he got to hoist the trophy.

As for those being "done" with NASCAR... well, it's a shame to see you go but at the same time you might be the ones that force NASCAR to finally drop the Chase altogether. Hope to see you back if that happens. Personally I'm going nowhere, I enjoy the races far too much and the Daytona 500 is just a couple of months away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I know what you mean.
About the only bright spot is the Pirelli World Challenge series. It's not perfect, but at least it still has some fantastic production based racing machines and some pretty darned good racing.
You should give V8 SuperCars a try.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3475758)   #628
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well done..Harvick..for winning..whatever that was.

They won't go back to the old system. Once the gimmicks are in, they don't climb down on it. They'll probably jig it up some other way, yeah, but actually having a championship - well, those heady summer days are gone.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 15:37 (Ref:3475826)   #629
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
I'd like to see NASCAR drop the Chase entirely, going back to what they had before. I'd like to see an even bigger points gap between first and second to still put a big premium on wins though.
Also, only offer points for positions 1-20.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3475845)   #630
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Ooh, I like that idea.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3475854)   #631
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Ooh, I like that idea.
I have been banging on that one for years. The issue goes deeper, i am afraid b/c of the idiotic ways that award owner's points as well. They could figure it out, but they'll end up tinkering with their sinking ship and patching a hole here and there, instead of pulling it into a dry dock and fixing the problem that started with the original chase. Going back to something similar to the old points system is about the only I am going to get back into this championship. I'll keep watching Chase Elliott, where ever he is.

And yes Congrats to Harvick for being the best of the last four or something. Out of the four contenders, I feel he deserved more than the others, but WTF do i know anymore?
Old 17 Nov 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3475908)   #632
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I actually like that all 43 cars get points. Although the points should be more spread out for the top 10.

Forgetting about the Chase for a second. These races would be great if they didn't throw a caution out every time a piece of metal ended up on the track or someone spins.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3475941)   #633
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I actually like that all 43 cars get points. Although the points should be more spread out for the top 10.

Forgetting about the Chase for a second. These races would be great if they didn't throw a caution out every time a piece of metal ended up on the track or someone spins.
Yeah, that's been out of hand, with case in point, the last 20 or so laps in the truck race - guy spun but not all the way, kept going without hitting anything or anyone. Caution. A bunch of hooey.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 02:15 (Ref:3476009)   #634
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well if they didn't have tires made of bubble gum and scythe on the side, maybe we could get a few laps under green.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3476148)   #635
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They're hooked on the drug that is having a guaranteed final race decider and they're not going to revert to a more traditional system. It's all about the increasing demands of TV means traditionalism is going out the window.

Last edited by Paradise City; 18 Nov 2014 at 12:01.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 01:48 (Ref:3476428)   #636
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
They're hooked on the drug that is having a guaranteed final race decider and they're not going to revert to a more traditional system. It's all about the increasing demands of TV means traditionalism is going out the window.
Just saw a retweet from "Dex" stating that the average Chase race rating was 2.7, alluding to this being slightly up from last year? Not sure of the accuracy of the numbers either way, but if its up, its working for NASCAR so God help us.

And when was the last time the F1 season ended after NASCAR?
Old 19 Nov 2014, 03:09 (Ref:3476439)   #637
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It sucks that the drivers fully support the Chase even though many consider a 36-race points system the best way to determine a champion. They have the power to put pressure on NASCAR, but I guess they don't want to get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And when was the last time the F1 season ended after NASCAR?
Last year.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 03:11 (Ref:3476440)   #638
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

Last year.
Doh! Well shows how I've been paying attention to both.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 03:35 (Ref:3476448)   #639
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I think some of the drivers have been ordered to like the chase in no uncertain terms. Some of the more over exuberent statements seem a bit forced to my ears anyway. They know enough to know that having a fight with the France clan is to lose a fight with the France clan.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 03:38 (Ref:3476449)   #640
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Doh! Well shows how I've been paying attention to both.
It's been the last five. In your defense, I had to look that up because I couldn't remember either.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 03:42 (Ref:3476451)   #641
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I think some of the drivers have been ordered to like the chase in no uncertain terms. Some of the more over exuberent statements seem a bit forced to my ears anyway. They know enough to know that having a fight with the France clan is to lose a fight with the France clan.
Well they get fined if they say something "detrimental to the sport", so I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happens.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 12:48 (Ref:3476548)   #642
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
It sucks that the drivers fully support the Chase even though many consider a 36-race points system the best way to determine a champion. They have the power to put pressure on NASCAR, but I guess they don't want to get involved.
The last time the drivers got together and stood up to NASCAR, boycotting a race at Talladega they felt wasn't safe with the tires at hand, it simply resulted in them being replaced with lesser known drivers. This was in 1969.

There have been no attempts by the drivers to get organized since.

Interesting tidbit about that race: Richard Childress was one of the drivers hired to replace the regulars and these days he credits that race with his career, as the money he was paid that weekend allowed him to buy a bit of land and start his own shop. The rest is, as they say, history.

Quote:
They know enough to know that having a fight with the France clan is to lose a fight with the France clan.
Exactly.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 12:49 (Ref:3476549)   #643
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
It's been the last five. In your defense, I had to look that up because I couldn't remember either.
Well, just seems odd as the NASCAR season seems to take forEVER.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3476555)   #644
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Well, just seems odd as the NASCAR season seems to take forEVER.
Well, it does start nearly a month earlier than the Formula 1 season. So in terms of schedule length it's longer
Old 20 Nov 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3477042)   #645
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
I'm looking forward to my visit to Phoenix next month, however, whenever I visit a circuit Jimmie Johnston doesn't have a good meeting so I await the result with baited breath.
My prophecy proved correct.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3477071)   #646
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Well, it does start nearly a month earlier than the Formula 1 season. So in terms of schedule length it's longer
And only a couple off weekends, instead of 6 weeks off in the middle of the season.