Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 10 Oct 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2308161)   #1
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa

My Dad's Standard 8 at Spa 1959

Old 10 Oct 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2308225)   #2
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Fantastic! I love the photo of the Open Grandstand. I sat in there for the 1970 Grand Prix and the 1000 Kms a couple of years later.

Pedro on the rostrum taken from the open grandstand!
Old 10 Oct 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2308480)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have another modern day comparison. This one was taken in 2004 (I think). Unfortunately I wasn't there at the time of your great photos.
This is at a similar position as your second photograph.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0168.JPG  
Old 10 Oct 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2308489)   #4
Jeff Barley
Racer

Jeff Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wonderfull.. thanks for sharing the photos..
Old 11 Oct 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2308998)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I have another modern day comparison. This one was taken in 2004 (I think). Unfortunately I wasn't there at the time of your great photos.
This is at a similar position as your second photograph.
I think you mean the third photo, Adam.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 09:05 (Ref:2309003)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you go to the Stavelot museum you'll find various maps of the circuit over the years. In 1989 the slip road turning left at Eau Rouge was still there. I checked the original confguration and that was the first version of Eau Rouge and indeed you could still drive up Kemmel by going left then swinging back right until you regained the track. The road has since disappeared.

Great pictures and I note there's also a MG TC(?) behind your dad's car.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2309130)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really great to see them,one of the biggest thrills used to be driving through Francorchamps down the hill,there,right in front of you was Eau Rouge!!
Sign on in De Bruyere,scrutineer,heaven!
Old 12 Oct 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2309934)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter, I agree; I also think it's a TC which was the post war version of the TB, but that was extremely rare, so unlikely to be TB!!
Old 12 Oct 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2309946)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Prompted by another discussion, perhaps we could start a thread or upload an album, of historic pics from various circuits submitted by posters?

Cub's could start off the Spa album.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2310452)   #10
Navyflier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Braintree, Essex
Navyflier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes this was a TC owned by Paul Watson who took my wife Joy for a quick whirl around the circuit. As they rounded La Source the chassis flexed so much that the passenger door flew open and Paul's camera hit the advertising hoardings alongside the circuit. I have a shot of them arriving back at our hotel in Stavelot with my very shaken wife putting on a brave face.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 20:27 (Ref:2310473)   #11
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As discussed;

Old 13 Oct 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2311075)   #12
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
The road has since disappeared.
No, it is still there, albeit at the top only one lane and is used now more as a place to park stranded cars. There are still two gates, one at the bottom, one at the top.
Great pictures, lots of things that were still there when I first got there. Does this mean I'm that old?
Old 13 Oct 2008, 12:49 (Ref:2311188)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fantastic pictures, thank you so much for sharing them.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2311286)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
No, it is still there, albeit at the top only one lane and is used now more as a place to park stranded cars. There are still two gates, one at the bottom, one at the top.
Great pictures, lots of things that were still there when I first got there. Does this mean I'm that old?
yes, but it doesn't carry on towards Spa as it used to do.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2311395)   #15
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Brilliant Pics. Thanks wish i had been around in those days. Never been to musium must make effort next year.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2311412)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm looking forward to a few more, these are a real treasure. Especially now that the old Stavelot is no more.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2311526)   #17
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Twice Burnenville:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnenville2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	20432 Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnenville.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	20433
Les Combes and Malmedy chicane:

Name:	Les Combes.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	20435 Click image for larger version

Name:	Malmedy chicane.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	20436
Radillon / Eau Rouge:

Name:	Radillon.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	20437 Click image for larger version

Name:	Eau Rouge.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	20434
Old 13 Oct 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2311533)   #18
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Stavelot in:

Name:	Stavelot in.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	20438

Peter, I think they piled the tarmac stuff on the old Stavelot just for a while because of some roadworks they are doing.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2311923)   #19
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I love the Stavelot, Burnenville pictures, it's a piece of road I love to drive when we visit Spa. I'm also amused by the Masta Kink which is now a layby but still has some bits of kerbing or something similar in it IIRC, does anyone have pictures of that as part of the track?

These are fab, Cub and Navyflier I'm so pleased you're sharing these they are an absolute reflection of our motorsport history and of life generally that I find fascinating.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2313352)   #20
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Here are two pictures of Masta, go to post 1280.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=masta+corner

Just before Masta:

Name:	Straight before Masta.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	20446

The old corner before there was any talk of the Busstop:

Name:	Pre start finish line.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	20444 Click image for larger version

Name:	More pre start finish.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	20445

Last edited by Eddy V; 15 Oct 2008 at 20:35.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 00:17 (Ref:2330424)   #21
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Looking at these fantastic pics reminds me Eddy that we were going to do that tour. Next year.!!
Old 20 May 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2465707)   #22
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Looking at these fantastic pics reminds me Eddy that we were going to do that tour. Next year.!!
Could you elaborate on this please??

Selby
Old 20 May 2009, 15:30 (Ref:2465751)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
A tour of the old circuit which I think is about 10 miles long.
Old 20 May 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2465757)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Brilliant Pics. Thanks wish i had been around in those days. .
You mean you weren't?
Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:23 (Ref:2554785)   #25
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
wolf sun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, there must be more! Roaming around on the internet always leads me to pictures I've already seen. There HAVE to be loads of amateur photos from before '79 out there...some of the Belgian photographers on this forum, maybe?