Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 May 2003, 21:05 (Ref:600283)   #1
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3 weekend at Knockhill

First chance i have had since getting back from Scotland. I would like to express my thanks to everybody who made our stay at the circuit, and on the bank an enjoyable experience. With special thanks to Ian Forrest, the high speed lap was unbelievable, going through Glenvargil flat was just something else !!!!!
Small note for our larger circuits, lunch was provided along with a marshalls room to sit and eat it, out of the cold and rain.
I for one would recomend a visit there any time.

Ian, thanks again........
Old 15 May 2003, 21:49 (Ref:600349)   #2
alec
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheltenham
alec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although i was only there for the saturday, i found it very good too. Helped mostly by the guys who were on post with me, Niel, Brian, and the two Pauls especially, for letting me have a go at flagging. I now know what i want to do, and it involves waving bits of material at drivers who aren't wathcing you.

The free lunch is always a bonus. Weather was good too (for knockhill), at leat the wind meant only half of you got soaked.
Old 24 May 2003, 14:56 (Ref:608722)   #3
mike kelly
Rookie

mike kelly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A circuit where you get free tea and coffee after sign on (which is in a large comfortable marshals only building), Posts where not only can you store your kit but also all get inside during breaks, packed lunch, hot pie and drinks at lunch time, and the use of the building at the end of the day so that you've got somewhere to get changed prior to your drive back home. It doesn't exist I hear you say, It's all in a dream! Well, no it's not. Try getting up to Knockhill. Some teams (F3!!) knocked it for its lack of facilities but at least Knockhill knows how to provide for its marshals. Some thing that other more high profile circuits should take notice of! I'm just waiting for next years meetings to come oput so that I can plan my next trip north of the border.
Old 26 May 2003, 20:05 (Ref:610775)   #4
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I whent to Knockhill for TOCA in 98 and found the same type of facilitieas and friendlyness. I admit I have not been able to get back up there since but may go next season. I do agree other circuits and clubs take note at these threds before mine. These simple few things may actually increase marshal numbers and keep a few oldies.
At present I am now after coming up 19 years very disalusioned with the state of marshalling at. It seems we are just taking lots of steps backwards and none forwards. I am now looking at cutting down the time I give to the sport and being very picky at what meetings I do.
The sport to me really does not care about marshalling. We do hear drivers sing our praises but I seldome seem to see anything from the top especially the circuits who seem to just not give a stuff. ( I know this has all been said before)
I also do St John Ambulance duties and as volunteers you would not believe how we are treated at all our venues. From Free meals to drinks and working conditions. Even at race meetings at circuits they are provided Breakfast and lunch and drinks.
Perhaps I am just getting tired and weary but would be interested to see other points of view on this again and see if perhaps we can come up with some ideas and act on them. I give it 5 years and marshalling will be in a really bad way for numbers.
Apologies for the rant I did have a good weekend at Rockingham with MGCC.
Rich S.