Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Oct 2001, 15:01 (Ref:167913)   #1
mrcattyfigs
Rookie

mrcattyfigs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mike raymond 1000?

does anybody else think it's time australian race fans honoured mike raymond for his contribution to local motor racing? personally i think it's high time the man who gave us driver knicknames like tricky dicky, gentleman jim, lightning larry perkins, rice grice or something, i don't think it was rice exactly but it was something ryhming with ice, maybe lice, did grice have an itchy beard? actually i can't think of any other driver knicknames mike coined at the moment, i spose the other ones might have gone along thelines of moffat cough it or seton beat em or skaife waif or tony boney maroni longhurst or bowe wow or ingall bingle/pringle or larkham fark em or lowndes out of bounds etcetc you get the idea. dam i miss that man. ish. was he popular with the drivers? or did they sort of just put up with him during race days an hope he didn't start talking to them too much going across the top of the mountain for the first time or something? johnson seems to have put up with his screeching sweltering 40 degree hot rod speedway circus ringmaster voice bursting into the headphones taking a second or two off his laptimes for nearly 15 years but i suppose mainly so the camera got a good shot of the xmo decals on the dashboard? the only adequate tribute i can think of to pay gratitude to the man would be to rename bathurst the mike raymond 1000. pound. but then wilco bilko would probably feel left out. anybody got any dirt on raymond to share? or pictures? or memories? or quotes from other drivers about `mike the psych'? or nicknames? i will always feel that he was the graham kennedy of motor sport commentary, i don't care what anybody says that's how i feel about him, sob. anyway....

Last edited by mrcattyfigs; 31 Oct 2001 at 15:07.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 00:33 (Ref:168178)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget the Baby Faced Assasin, and Junior Johnson
Old 1 Nov 2001, 03:59 (Ref:168212)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spicey gricey
Farmer George (quote from Lakeside 86 - "he's really hoeing into them today)
Mike Raymond is a legend, he almost deserves the following Murrey has.

Raymond, Wilko and Crompton in the box, those were the days,
Old 1 Nov 2001, 04:10 (Ref:168216)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Farmer George (quote from Lakeside 86 - "he's really hoeing into them today)
The Talmalmo Farmer - until he had the tractor accident on his farm - he never drove the same after that unfotunately.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 04:17 (Ref:168218)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You've got to be kidding!!!! Mike Raymond was a complete ******** and the second worst commentator of all time. Why on Earth do they think anybody wants to hear stupid rhyming gibberish or bloody silly nicknames. Don't get me started on Luffy and Prendy by the way. Mike Raymond knew very little about the sport and it showed, he also knew no-one outside the top 5 or 6. Dick Johnson couldn't stand him either, but as he taught Steve, you have to be pally with the media, whether you like them or not. I am so glad he is gone, the clowns on Ten aren't nearly as bad.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 04:36 (Ref:168222)   #6
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You want bad commentating you can't go passed the babbling Jeremy Shaw that handles the Inday cars from time to time.

Thenyou'lldiscoverhowonesentencecanbeincoherentlymashedintooneword.

It blows.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 04:41 (Ref:168223)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still haven't worked out if his inane word for the start/finish line is 'stripe' or 'strike'!

He tried to dominate motor racing in Australia, to influence it down a path he wanted it to follow. Succeeded in part, too. That isn't the kind of thing that merits an award...

For all that Evan Green was tiresome, he was better than Mike. So was Will Hagon.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 06:39 (Ref:168226)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike Raymond was a great, great race caller, if a race got boring he lightened it up, if a race was exciting he made 2 or 3 times as good. One call I'll never forget was Lakeside 1999. "Ohh, you couldn't fit ally mcbeal between the two of them"
Dave you are the biggest D******d of all time, you would rather listen to guys like Mark Oastler, Barry Sheene and Grant Denya or whatever his name is.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 07:19 (Ref:168229)   #9
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dave you are the biggest D******d of all time, you would rather listen to guys like Mark Oastler, Barry Sheene and Grant Denya or whatever his name is.
Hey c'mon...that's a bit harsh. Liking the channel 10 commentary doesn't make you a D******d. To me, statements like :

Quote:
the Carinna's are big crowd pullers, they have legendary status with everyone around the globe
Make you a D******d.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 07:27 (Ref:168230)   #10
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When talking about Mike Raymonds never ending poetry skills don't forget Neils on wheels when gushing about Neil Crompton.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 07:59 (Ref:168233)   #11
aaaahhhhhhh
Rookie

aaaahhhhhhh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least Raymond added coulour and excitment to the commentary instead of the standardd OOOHHHHH when some thing happens with all those **** Wits on 10
Old 1 Nov 2001, 11:21 (Ref:168289)   #12
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mike wasn't the greatest of commentators but he was fun to listen to. At the time it made no difference to me whether the commentator knew what he was talking about or not (it does now though).

David, who is the worst in your books?

buckshot, I don't know why Jeremy talks the way he does as he talks like that normally too. I do enjoy what he writes though.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 11:42 (Ref:168297)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now now people....

For the record, I think David is in a fairly good position to judge who is, and who isn't a good commentator.

Gotta agree with Elephino (what's that, the fifth time this week?)- Jeremy is a good writer, and writes for some decent publications, knows his stuff better than most, but aint the best race caller.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 03:43 (Ref:168581)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's this about Mike not having a clue, he knew a fair bit actually. Admittedly his constant rhyming and American NASCAR slang went over the top from time to time, he is a genuine motorsport enthusiest, especially about Aussies overseas. When channel 7 were serious about Motorsport in the mid 80s, there were constant reports on Gardner's progress and so on in the bikes, and he always gave a plug to the ETC, especially in 86 and 87, when the World Championship was was looming and the MHDT and Grice were over there. Hence his trips to the Monza and Spa ETC rounds in 86. He seemed to be a very big Tom Walkinshaw fan though.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 09:11 (Ref:168634)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What makes a person better at picking whether a commentator is good or not, it is what an individual likes, please what a kind of comment is that.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 10:49 (Ref:168669)   #16
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
So was Will Hagon.
Yes Ray. Will, the fellow BMW rider. Hagon was smart and could hold an audience, at least on SBS and the GP bikes in the eighties.

As for Mike. He made me cringe with the constant 'Peter Perfect' BS year after bloody year. I loathe the guy.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 11:01 (Ref:168673)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The fact that David has been an on track commentator for many years now, in my opinion, gives him a fair idea what a good commentator is.

Fair enough though, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i don't think David is the biggest ******** of all time
Old 2 Nov 2001, 11:13 (Ref:168682)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
The fact that David has been an on track commentator for many years now, in my opinion, gives him a fair idea what a good commentator is.
(This is no slight on anyone here)...but IMHO a commentator is the LAST person who would have any idea at all as to what a good commentator is.

Why? he doesn't have to listen to himself during an event - the fans are the ones that have to listen to him, pick up the so obvious mistakes (like telling us how good Joe Blogg's car is yet the images being transmitted clearly show the car with terminal smoke coming out of it) etc etc. Similarly Crash, elephono and I are probably the last ones who should tell you what the best motor racing web site around is

But, having said that - everyone will have differing opinions.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 11:28 (Ref:168689)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I've listened to Daivd, and he doesn't cock up. Saying that, I think www.racetime.com.au, and www.conrod.com.au are the best two sites on the net....
Old 2 Nov 2001, 11:32 (Ref:168693)   #20
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Yes Ray. Will, the fellow BMW rider. Hagon was smart and could hold an audience, at least on SBS and the GP bikes in the eighties.
You weren't there the day he turned up at Longford on his BMW, were you?
Old 2 Nov 2001, 11:35 (Ref:168694)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

LOL - my cheque arrived did it?

And just to clear something up - when I talked about commentators I had absolutely no one (well, except maybe Muddly Waters) in mind - I was, hopefully, generalising.

I guess it's like asking Paul Keating who the best Australian Treaurer ever held office!
Old 2 Nov 2001, 11:45 (Ref:168698)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Cheque? Hrmmm....

A huh! You're the ATO! Cheers!

The best treasurer sure wasn't Costello!
Old 2 Nov 2001, 11:46 (Ref:168699)   #23
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell

You weren't there the day he turned up at Longford on his BMW, were you?

That wasn't the time he fell off and broke his leg in a Service Station was it?
Old 3 Nov 2001, 09:44 (Ref:169227)   #24
aaaahhhhhhh
Rookie

aaaahhhhhhh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Hagon on a Motor Bike. Must be a big bloody Motor Bike.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 10:15 (Ref:169236)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

At Eastern International go kart centre, Will hagon is the guy on the video who explains the "do's and don'ts" on the track, and i must say it makes you take notice more than your average john smith.