Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2001, 11:38 (Ref:80682)   #1
Thortuantis
Rookie

Thortuantis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barber Saab Champion, F3000 Champion, Cart Champion, KART Champion, 24 hour endurance Champion, 6 hour endurance champion, Indy 500 Champion, Swift Champion, Great Tourism Champion....

WShat's Next?

Formula 1 2001 champion, Formula 1 2002 Champion, Formula 1 2003 Champion, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 11:48 (Ref:80686)   #2
carbonfibre
Rookie

carbonfibre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, JPM will be the FIRST MONTOYA. There will NEVER be another Senna - he was one of a kind, and while I understand the flattery intended, there ought to be an Auto-Ban feature that deletes these Will so and so be the next so and so threads.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 14:45 (Ref:80741)   #3
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Juan has some of Senna's emotion but none of the feel or talent.

What's next for Juan?

Chip Ganassi's team in 2002 might be a good bet
Old 15 Apr 2001, 15:02 (Ref:80755)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Tortuantis !

I like the way JPM drives, and he's very talented indeed. Let the guy do his job, he's got a long way to go !
But for now, I would only expect some decent winnings and the rest will come naturally !
Old 15 Apr 2001, 15:07 (Ref:80760)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RT: controversial! I like......
Old 15 Apr 2001, 15:18 (Ref:80764)   #6
kukuciau
Rookie

kukuciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM the next Senna??.........my a$$!!!

he is nothing but overhyped!

JPM will be another Jacques Villenueve,...and JV is not great,

JPM is very similar to JV, coz both are not afraid of Schumi senior and both dares to make very risky and ballsy moves.

apart from that, there is nothing really that stands out between both of them and the rest of the field!
Old 15 Apr 2001, 15:30 (Ref:80771)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I actually think JV looked better in his first races than Montoya. He won in his fourth race, and almost won his first. And we all remember the pass he made on Michael Schumacher. JV won that race too...

The jury's still out on Montoya. He looked pretty average at today's race.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 15:39 (Ref:80780)   #8
Quino
Racer

Quino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yea well, JV had his debut in a championshipwinning car (with Damon Hill so that car must have been spectacular).

The Williams is good but certainly not championship winning. Although a JPM victory in 2001 is certainly in the cards.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 15:41 (Ref:80781)   #9
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to early to say..he knows he isnt a championship contender.
so he is driving without much pressure..we will see when he is the no1 contender for the championship..the pressure will show his greatness or rather abilities.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 15:57 (Ref:80795)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quino, the Williams that was at San Marino was clearly as fast (relative to the rest of the field), as JV's Williams ever was (except for the first two races in 1997).
Old 15 Apr 2001, 15:58 (Ref:80797)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Quino
Yea well, JV had his debut in a championshipwinning car (with Damon Hill so that car must have been spectacular).
What are you implying, if it is that Damon Hill only won the title because he had the best car you are very much mistaken. He also got Jordans first ever victory and would have won for Arrows if it wasn't for a brake problem on the last lap.

Look at his achievments and not his poor performances, you'll find the former greatly out weigh the latter.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 23:24 (Ref:80943)   #12
Quino
Racer

Quino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you impying that Damon got the Jordan victory at Spa in 1998 on driver merit?

And we will never know what actually happened at the Hungaroring in 1997. We only know that Arrows failed to deliver any performance similar to that one throughout that year. I also remember Damon almost missing out on making it to the grid that season in Melbourne.

I do remember Damon almost losing out on the title in 1996 to a rookie (Villeneuve). And Villeneuve not being a brilliant driver himself, barely coping with Olivier Panis (ok, granted, I rate Panis very high).
Judging by your chosen nickname you will not agree with mee. And thats ok, I don't want to put down your idols. It's just that I've never seen anything good coming from Damon Hill (only Suzuka 1994 and Imola 1996 were truly outstanding) apart from a handful reasonable races.

Jay> Montoya was in the leas 2 weeks earlier. Just as Ralf did this race he firmly held on to the lead noting fastest lap after fastest lap. If the circumstances had been the same as they ware 2 weeks later (no dodgy Arrows cars up from behind, no rain) I think we can say Montoya would have picked up the first Williams victory since Nurburgring 1997. Sure, we don't know what Ralf could've been capable of in Interlagos, but the roles were simply reversed 2 weeks later. So If you really want to compare the 1997 JV to the 2001 JPM, the latter stands out.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 23:31 (Ref:80947)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Wasn't that a great passs MOntoya executed early on, around the outside too, and just when Martin was saying he wouldn't make it this time. This guy seems to have some rais under his car going around certain corners. However, I do hate these will so and so be the next Senna: No!! Nobody will.
Old 15 Apr 2001, 23:43 (Ref:80949)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I was just thinking: I would love to see JPM and Jacques in different but equally competitive cars fighting it out for a win - it would bring back the Gilles vs Arnoux fight of Dijon.
Old 16 Apr 2001, 00:37 (Ref:80963)   #15
FormulaMag
Rookie

FormulaMag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya is aggressive. He just pushes his way through without hesitation. I like it...
Old 16 Apr 2001, 01:06 (Ref:80973)   #16
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donesn't one need to actually FINISH a race even before mentioning his name in the same sentence as Senna?
I could understand using Button in the sentence (well actually last year using it).
Old 16 Apr 2001, 01:11 (Ref:80976)   #17
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boy would I ever like to see that VB! Then all these JV doubters would be silenced!
Old 16 Apr 2001, 01:16 (Ref:80981)   #18
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point ruisnow! And I think the same could be said about comparing him to JV I am not trying to belittle Senna in any way here he was a legend. But we are talking about former WDC champions here and Montoya has yet to finish a race!
Old 16 Apr 2001, 01:17 (Ref:80982)   #19
Willie the Pimp
Rookie

Willie the Pimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You Guys......

Hi everybody...
Arn't these discussion forums great..

this thread started with JPM being likend to a super hero..

"Barber Saab Champion, F3000 Champion, Cart Champion, KART Champion, 24 hour endurance Champion, 6 hour endurance champion, Indy 500 Champion, Swift Champion, Great Tourism Champion....

WShat's Next?

Formula 1 2001 champion, Formula 1 2002 Champion, Formula 1 2003 Champion, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc."

and by the end he is likend to JV..

he is niether, he's some where's in between at the moment..
give the guy a chance to finish a race, He's had the worst luck ever in his first few race's, (Maybe he's got Johnny Herberts lucky rabbits foot...LOL).

Oh yeah he's nothing like JV he can drive, overtake and handle an F1 car. but most important does not act like a spoilt child when something goes wrong..

dont get me wrong im not anti JV but the guy just ask's for it.. You just gotta laugh at this though..
. kukuciau:
"JPM the next Senna??.........my a$$!!!

he is nothing but overhyped!

JPM will be another Jacques Villenueve,...and JV is not great,

JPM is very similar to JV, coz both are not afraid of Schumi senior and both dares to make very risky and ballsy moves.

apart from that, there is nothing really that stands out between both of them and the rest of the field!"

Ok K there was a lot of hype surrounding JPM..
that was out of his control..

but here's the funny part..
"JPM is very similar to JV, coz both are not afraid of Schumi senior" how do you know JV is not afraid of TGF?
he's never been close..

As for JV being ballsy did'nt you mean balls-up?

Anyway K i do love yer sence of humour you almost had us all thinking you were serious there.. Good one dude.

Best WtP
Oh yeah a big well done to Ralf ( maybe he's the next Senna?
what do you think Thortuantis) i think carbonfibre nailed that one earlier could'nt agree more..

Have an iffi day...and remember you have'nt seen me
Old 16 Apr 2001, 02:44 (Ref:81000)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just to put things into perspective with JV, despite his immediate competitiveness and success when he arrived in F1 back in 1996, 4 weeks after winning at the Nurburgring, he qualified a poor tenth at Monaco and never factored in the race.
As these drivers gain more experience in the rarified air of F1, they become more consistent. Montoya will continue to mature and he will be a real force-just don't expect it to happen right away. Remember that the "One True God of F1", despite making a splash at Spa in 1991, took a full year to notch up that first win. Mika took 7 seasons to get HIS first win. Four races is far to early to determine that Montoya doesn't have what it takes. On the basis of his drive in Brazil, I think he does.
Old 16 Apr 2001, 03:14 (Ref:81005)   #21
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe he has what it takes as well, but you have to build up a portfolio before you can really call yourself an artist. All the great champions had success at all levels, and JPM is the latest one to come along, but he has to have some accomplishments in F1 before the comparisons begin. And as we know, comparisons seem to cause the biggest disagreements around here!
Old 16 Apr 2001, 05:02 (Ref:81025)   #22
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, personally, I agree with those who say that's to early for JPM to be talked up as the next Senna, or the next anything for that matter. But I do think that he shows tremendous potential. Yes I know he looked very average in today's race, especially with Ralf completely dominating. But I think that EERO makes an excellent point when he says that with experience will come consistency.

As for Button. I don't doubt his talent at all. Unfortunately he won't have much of a chance to show it with the **** car he is driving this year. But he prooved last year that he is very skilled and in a good enough car he might be a championship contender a few years down the road.
Old 16 Apr 2001, 12:41 (Ref:81105)   #23
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As some of you have said, Juan is very talented indeed, but eventhough I´m a huge fan of his, I don´t think he can be compared to senna, or at least not for now. But when he starts getting wins and poles, you might be seing the next best thing. For now we must take in mind that williams is back, and this will help Montoya to have big achievements this season.
Old 16 Apr 2001, 13:05 (Ref:81123)   #24
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is getting hilarious! I've never read such tripe.
Old 16 Apr 2001, 13:50 (Ref:81144)   #25
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do so many of you dislike Damon Hill, I'm sure you are remembering at first glance his final 2 seasons which were, I admit, poor. However Hill is renound by many as one of the greatest test drivers and car developers and what he has achieved on track speeks for it self. Also remember that when Hill entered F1 he was older then than TGF is now, I believe that if he had got his break earlier he could have been one of the greats.