Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Sep 2012, 15:25 (Ref:3130621)   #101
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
30 minutes from knockhill by road
richrad smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
From where I was it did look like Plato was slightly punted.
Its no like he aint handed it out over the years is it?????

what goes around comes around!!!!!!
Old 4 Sep 2012, 15:30 (Ref:3130623)   #102
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrad smith View Post
Quote:
From where I was it did look like Plato was slightly punted.
Its no like he aint handed it out over the years is it?????

what goes around comes around!!!!!!
I'm only commenting on a specific incident and one that I had direct (non-tv) visibility of, I'll leave it to yourself and others to comment on past events.
Old 4 Sep 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3130646)   #103
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I'd agree about British GT being a play ground for the rich, but I'd have to mention that there are also some very good younger drivers competiting. I've watched all the races this year (highlights granted) and there has been some fantastic good clean racing, Rockingham stood out particularly. I've stopped watching the BTCC as I am absolutely sick up to the back teeth of the Neal/Plato thing, Plato's whinging and the driving standards in general.
Agreed... there are some very talented drivers in the British GT championship and some of the racing this year has been very exciting.
Old 4 Sep 2012, 17:15 (Ref:3130675)   #104
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Sportscar fans.
according sportscar fans themself
Old 4 Sep 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3130693)   #105
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I'd agree about British GT being a play ground for the rich, but I'd have to mention that there are also some very good younger drivers competiting.
Plenty in the BTCC over the last few years too, such as Wrathall, Onslow-Cole, Jordan, Nash, Adam, Glew, Kane, etc.

I think a LOT of British motorsport dislike the BTCC for whatever personal reasons they have, but the fact of it is, it makes money, it gets people through the gates who may never be interested in motorsport and its varied and enjoyable to watch. Where else on live TV on 10 weekends a year can you sit in your armchair and watch everything from Clios to Ginettas for 7 hours? And ask around at your work, I bet at least one colleague has attended a BTCC raceday.

I class myself as a motorsport purist (I'm regularly at Cadwell or Mallory for BARC/CTCRC club events, even Mallory testing, work permitting) but the BTCC is ''my championship'' so I have stronger opinions of it than any other form of motorsport. And I'm not alone, so to say it caters for the crash-junkies does me and my fellow supporters a massive disservice. A bit like pidgeon-holing all other types of racing (single seaters for Rich Daddies to live through No.1 Son or daughter, Endurance Prototypes for Rich Doctors or Lawyers/Bankers to spend our money etc).

Don't discriminate, apprieciate.
Old 4 Sep 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3130756)   #106
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
And ask around at your work, I bet at least one colleague has attended a BTCC raceday.
Ah - but my colleagues have also been to DTM, Rallycross and truck racing

Quote:
I class myself as a motorsport purist (I'm regularly at Cadwell or Mallory for BARC/CTCRC club events, even Mallory testing, work permitting) but the BTCC is ''my championship'' so I have stronger opinions of it than any other form of motorsport. And I'm not alone, so to say it caters for the crash-junkies does me and my fellow supporters a massive disservice. A bit like pidgeon-holing all other types of racing (single seaters for Rich Daddies to live through No.1 Son or daughter, Endurance Prototypes for Rich Doctors or Lawyers/Bankers to spend our money etc).

BTCC is the ITV of motorsport - lowest common denominator entertainment for the masses. It's racing that involves no thought on the part of the spectator. GT is BBC4. Each is fine in it's own way - but I wouldn't want to watch one exclusively over the other. I think I should probably end that analogy there
Old 4 Sep 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3130776)   #107
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point. WRC is like Channel 5. Sounds alright on paper but we can never get to see it.

And back to the topic....
Old 4 Sep 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3130783)   #108
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
BTCC is the ITV of motorsport - lowest common denominator entertainment for the masses. It's racing that involves no thought on the part of the spectator. GT is BBC4. Each is fine in it's own way - but I wouldn't want to watch one exclusively over the other. I think I should probably end that analogy there
So that would mean the purists are Babestation or Smile TV on at unsociable times and attracting a small number of hardcore fans only
Old 5 Sep 2012, 16:44 (Ref:3131439)   #109
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Plenty in the BTCC over the last few years too, such as Wrathall, Onslow-Cole, Jordan, Nash, Adam, Glew, Kane, etc.

I think a LOT of British motorsport dislike the BTCC for whatever personal reasons they have, but the fact of it is, it makes money, it gets people through the gates who may never be interested in motorsport and its varied and enjoyable to watch. Where else on live TV on 10 weekends a year can you sit in your armchair and watch everything from Clios to Ginettas for 7 hours? And ask around at your work, I bet at least one colleague has attended a BTCC raceday.

Agree with you about some good younger drivers in the BTCC and its profile. Where did I say it catered for the crash junkies and all the fans fell into that bracket though? At the BTCC events I've been to I've never seen anything to suggest the specatators around me were crash junkies and I'd never suggest as such. Certainly happy for people to watch and ensure interest in motorsport in the UK persists. I'm not discriminating against anybody.

Last edited by AndyS; 5 Sep 2012 at 16:50.
Old 5 Sep 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3131517)   #110
medius
Veteran

England
That part was more aimed at those commenters on this thread that only seem to appear whenever someone is stuffed into the hedgerow, that strangely aren't bothered by the BTCC until there is another outcry over driving standards. Apologies for not making that bit clearer.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 07:45 (Ref:3131825)   #111
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That part was more aimed at those commenters on this thread that only seem to appear whenever someone is stuffed into the hedgerow, that strangely aren't bothered by the BTCC until there is another outcry over driving standards. Apologies for not making that bit clearer.
No probs, I'm not always that good at making things clear either, so my wife says!
Old 6 Sep 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3132004)   #112
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
30 minutes from knockhill by road
richrad smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm only commenting on a specific incident and one that I had direct (non-tv) visibility of.
so was I!!!!! have been trackside on several occasions when the aforementioned Mr Plato has taken a dislike to the rear quarter of an opponents vechile!!!!
Old 9 Sep 2012, 09:58 (Ref:3133143)   #113
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for the small bump, but what happened at the start of race 2 exactly? The replay didn't show it very clearly, but it if I recall correctly it looked like Chris James accidently braked with two wheels on the inside grass, lost control and collected a few cars in mid-pack... Very odd crash!