Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Feb 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3209721)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dessert Drug Testing To Be Increased

According to Here, V8Supercar drivers shall be having an increase in the number of random drug tests they undergo from the current once a year, to three times a year.

Even Mr McKay weighs into the argument Here

It is a good move to show the world that V8Supercar, and CAMS, does not shirk its responsibility in reasonably ensuring its sport is drug free.

Presumably this testing will make its way into other levels of circuit racing as well some time in the future..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Feb 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3209756)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The concept of drug testing gets threatened upon lower-level speedway a lot (drivers' briefings mentioning things like "You may be subject to drug and alcohol testing at any time during this meeting"), but in my 5 years involvement, I've never heard of anyone that has actually been tested.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 02:38 (Ref:3209805)   #3
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The concept of drug testing gets threatened upon lower-level speedway a lot (drivers' briefings mentioning things like "You may be subject to drug and alcohol testing at any time during this meeting"), but in my 5 years involvement, I've never heard of anyone that has actually been tested.
I have seen breath tests but not drugs, however World series sprintcars did some testing at Bunbury and caught Ryan Farrell. Test the whole field and half the owners and there might not be enough to have a race meeting.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3209806)   #4
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Umm Ryan Farrell Springs to mind this week Former WA Champ Failed a drug test for non performance enhancing drugs in WA round of the WSS.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 05:15 (Ref:3209842)   #5
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the first time Farrell has been caught up with illicit drugs, doubt it will be the last..

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/201...71_ntnews.html
Old 24 Feb 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3209948)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappa View Post
Umm Ryan Farrell Springs to mind this week Former WA Champ Failed a drug test for non performance enhancing drugs in WA round of the WSS.
I did say "lower-level", didn't I?
Old 24 Feb 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3210198)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is good. Drugs in ball sports/athletics/swimming etc are bad for the image, potentially bad for the player etc.

However not many other places can these drugs be potentially bad for the spectator/general public.
Old 25 Feb 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3210763)   #8
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends how you look at drug testing to be honest.

If you are testing for 'impairment' then fair enough

If you are testing for 'presence' then i have issues with the ethical side of the argument.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3210810)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some years ago, the V8Ute paddock was breath tested at random at Sandown, and amazingly, one of the pilots somehow became unavailable to continue that meeting as they were allegedly over the 0% tolerance.

When you read tales of the 'big nights' some of these supposed elite sports people sometimes have, you do wonder...

I can recall Mr D'Alberto some years ago, fresh from a 3rd placing in a development series race in the Ford at Bathurst, being unable to drive home to Melbourne because his (then) provisional licence had a 0% tolerance, and he had consumed/been drowned in various plumes of champagne on the podium...
Old 26 Feb 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3210832)   #10
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Depends how you look at drug testing to be honest.

If you are testing for 'impairment' then fair enough

If you are testing for 'presence' then i have issues with the ethical side of the argument.

If there's presence, there's some level of impairment (whether you're cognitive of it or not)... So if you're not going zero tolerance, the question becomes how do you judge 'impairment'?
As an example, by the time I hit the measure of 'impairment' for driving on the road (400 micrograms of Alcohol per litre of breath) I'm well well past a state where I'd say I'm safe to drive... For me, as Murph would say it's a case of 'eliminate the risk'.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 03:35 (Ref:3210962)   #11
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
If there's presence, there's some level of impairment (whether you're cognitive of it or not)... So if you're not going zero tolerance, the question becomes how do you judge 'impairment'?
As an example, by the time I hit the measure of 'impairment' for driving on the road (400 micrograms of Alcohol per litre of breath) I'm well well past a state where I'd say I'm safe to drive... For me, as Murph would say it's a case of 'eliminate the risk'.
Yes i agree with you to some point, i am the same, if i have the 4 or 5 beers in the allocated timeframe, i too feel incapable of operating a motor vehicle.

However i disagree when you say that presence = impairment. For e.g. cannabis stays in your system for weeks, and in some cases months. If you had partaken in some cannabis (which i DONT condone at all however) lets say two weeks ago at a party, a drug test will show presence, but to say that person is impaired by that drug two weeks on, in my view is not correct.

I have heard of cases in my industry where individuals have been fired due to a drug test showing presence of cannabis from something they did at a concert/party or whatever some weeks beforehand. They are not impaired at the time of testing, but they do have presence.

I would like to add though that i strongly disagree to taking drugs, in particular those that improve performance.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3211517)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorcycle Australia undertook 25 Drug Tests overthe weekend at Phillip Island of various ASBK & ArenaX racers as well as some officials, all passed according to the press release on the subject sent around yesterday.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3211731)   #13
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drug testing costs serious money ans that is an impediment to its regular use for motor sport. It was done at one kart meeting some years ago and besides the results not being to everyones liking the AKA never repeated the exercise due to the costs involved.
Old 28 Mar 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3226211)   #14
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Farrell gets 2 year ban !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedcafe
The full sentence reads as follows:
  1. The defendant will be suspended for a period of twenty-four months from the date of the positive test, 15 February 2013.
  2. A period of nine months of the suspension will be suspended with conditions to assist Farrell’s earlier return to racing in place.
  3. In recognition of the defendant’s cooperation with the process and early guilty plea there will be no monetary penalty imposed.
Link Here:/
Old 3 Apr 2013, 03:42 (Ref:3228339)   #15
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Drug testing costs serious money ans that is an impediment to its regular use for motor sport. It was done at one kart meeting some years ago and besides the results not being to everyones liking the AKA never repeated the exercise due to the costs involved.
I remember that. They caught so many drivers that the back page of the Daily Tele led with it. Biggest (and worst) publicity that karting ever got.

Doubt it was the cost - they just couldn't/wouldn't risk such bad publicity again.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 03:58 (Ref:3228342)   #16
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a few weeks back now, one of the Rally guys.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...ver-drug-bust/
Old 11 Jul 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3276515)   #17
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/07/10/...h-new-funding/
Old 12 Jul 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3276927)   #18
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorcycling Australia has now clocked up 100 tests at various rounds of the Aussie Superbike & Motocross Championship rounds.

http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=12&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=9937&tx_ttnews[backPid]=6&cHash=ee2e6e310c

The interesting thing is MA seems to be able to handle it in house and doesn't need to farm it out to others to do the testing.

The testing is done on site and involves the "customer" peeing into a cup which has sensing strips on it that determine if anything untoward is in the "sample".
Old 12 Jul 2013, 11:20 (Ref:3276955)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Presumably the testing protocol is in line with ASADA/WADA standards, and that the testers are accredited by one or both of those bodies...
Old 15 Jul 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3278083)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
Am I the only one that finds it amusing that an article on drug testing appears on a site named 'SpeedCafe', which sounds like one of those dodgy Dutch coffee shops?

Probably.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 03:56 (Ref:3278206)   #21
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Am I the only one that finds it amusing that an article on drug testing appears on a site named 'SpeedCafe', which sounds like one of those dodgy Dutch coffee shops?

Probably.
You need to be more concerned about having one of your moderators continually being in the powder room.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 04:52 (Ref:3278218)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

The only 'powder' I know about...
Old 16 Jul 2013, 20:55 (Ref:3278511)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
You need to be more concerned about having one of your moderators continually being in the powder room.
That's nothing to what you find in the staff room. Avoid the second cubicle from the right...
Old 19 Jul 2013, 03:02 (Ref:3279250)   #24
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Presumably the testing protocol is in line with ASADA/WADA standards, and that the testers are accredited by one or both of those bodies...
MA isn't looking for Performance Enhancing substances so the whole WADA/ASADA thing doesn't apply, it's more about making sure those track side or on the track itself have not taken anything that may make them a danger to themselves or others.

Anyone with a Series Credential can be (and has been) tested including Media/Photographers who can be just as exposed to danger as marshals and racers.

AA recently had a major article on the subject and realistically I don't think Motorsport would have the Performance Enhancing Drug issue some others have as the article pretty much confirmed.

Last edited by PVDA; 19 Jul 2013 at 03:12.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3279941)   #25
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

I wouldnt bank on these two outfits after there disartoruos handling of the recent fiasco in NRL/AFL (still cant decide on whats what and the main man is still walking and hasnt had to answer to anyone, and they ae the governing bodies) Even the scouts ae led by adults

As a volunteer Marshall, I can be tested at any meeting as well, so we ae all in it, just some cats have there stars, one in jail, one stopped racing but hasnt been heard of since,