Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 8 May 2015, 00:11 (Ref:3535313)   #176
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just as it seems idiotic for me to debate when I think it's just inevitability

For it to become reasonably well lit outside the easy as pie non-permanent circuit area and ACO properties, you don't need posts outside the fence in the "woods" or someones yard necessarily. It will become considerably more lit with just a few well placed big floodlight towers on the inner chicanes, lights merged with catch fencing / crowd areas, few new overhead banners (or whatever they are called on top of road) equipped with bright light spots in strategic locations.

As side point, I believe some of the already existing lighting at the circuit came at the request of SPEED TV some years ago, whom wanted to have more circuit visibility for their coverage which had darkness hours during daytime in their timezone. So it is logical for people to fear about the lightning levels potentially soon being raised now with wider coverage than ever. There are many parties demanding many things.

Last edited by Deleted; 8 May 2015 at 00:20.
Old 8 May 2015, 08:51 (Ref:3535435)   #177
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Just as it seems idiotic for me to debate when I think it's just inevitability

For it to become reasonably well lit outside the easy as pie non-permanent circuit area and ACO properties, you don't need posts outside the fence in the "woods" or someones yard necessarily. It will become considerably more lit with just a few well placed big floodlight towers on the inner chicanes, lights merged with catch fencing / crowd areas, few new overhead banners (or whatever they are called on top of road) equipped with bright light spots in strategic locations.

As side point, I believe some of the already existing lighting at the circuit came at the request of SPEED TV some years ago, whom wanted to have more circuit visibility for their coverage which had darkness hours during daytime in their timezone. So it is logical for people to fear about the lightning levels potentially soon being raised now with wider coverage than ever. There are many parties demanding many things.
Good points indeed, but you cannot merge the light poles with the catch fencing or having them any where near it. Especially not at Le Mans after Allan Simonises tragic accident.
If a car crashes into the barrier where a light post is situated, the structure of the light post would make the crash more servere. Either functioning as a "tree" for the car to wrap around or being soft enough to fall onto the track creating further accidents.
Pretty much all lighting solutions require poles being setup in one way or another, so I still don't see it happening.

But we are probably reaching a point where we have to agree to disagree and "just" see what the future brings us.
Old 8 May 2015, 10:50 (Ref:3535462)   #178
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aside from TV and aesthetics, I think lighting the full circuit would also corrode some of the fundamental endurance aspect of the race. You're supposed to be racing in the dark in a 24-hour race. It's part of the test for man and machine. You need your working lights, number panels etc. Plus the ACO put so much emphasis on night running and needing your night laps.

It's also never going to be F1 standards of lighting even if they did. And even if they put a few spotlights at the chicanes - okay that's not great - but I'm not going to rip up my Le Mans ticket and throw it at the ACO. The lit sections of Le Mans still feel pretty dark at the moment.

I'm also of the view of why worry and debate something that hasn't even been mooted yet. Even if it's important to have something to complain about.
Old 8 May 2015, 10:54 (Ref:3535463)   #179
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'm also of the view of why worry and debate something that hasn't even been mooted yet. Even if it's important to have something to complain about.
That was kind of my fault, I was the one who brought it up!

I personally think the ACO would try to keep darkness for as long as possible, and there's no reason for the straights to be floodlit in any instance - and straights make up most of the track.

You do hear from Tele types that night races doesn't make good television. That in itself is up for debate.
Old 8 May 2015, 11:07 (Ref:3535467)   #180
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
You do hear from Tele types that night races doesn't make good television. That in itself is up for debate.
I've said quite a few times that I really don't think it makes good television. You can't see the cars. Apart from onboards you aren't getting a real sense of speed or how hard they are working. You're just seeing headlights.

That's not to say I'm not happy that we'll likely get the increased nighttime coverage.

I think if you're there at the track it's a magic spectacle. If you're watching on TV it's less so. If you're a casual viewer the vast majority would switch channels. So I can see why SPEED might have asked the question a few years back.
Old 9 May 2015, 11:39 (Ref:3535780)   #181
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It certainly is, the start to this year's Bathurst 12h was absolutely incredible in pitch darkness. But that's a different race with different (slower) cars and dare I say it, a different culture. And I might not be the typical Le Mans viewer the TV execs are looking out for...

Anyway, fully manned cameras, yay
Old 25 May 2015, 09:50 (Ref:3540995)   #182
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eurosport 2015

From Lemans-history.com:

Quote:
Mais uma vez o EuroSport vai transmitir em directo a 83ª edição das 24 Horas de Le Mans entre o EuroSport Internacional (EI) e o EuroSport 2 (E2) com a locução de Joao Carlos Costa e Ricardo Grilo. Onde vão partilhar connosco muitas histórias sobre a prova, não percam!

2ª Feira – 8 de Junho
20h00/20h30: 24 Minutos (El)

3ª Feira – 9 de Junho
20h30/21h00: 24 Minutos (EI)

4ª Feira – 10 de Junho
15h00/19h00: Treino Livre (E2)
21h00/23h00: 1ª Qualificação (EI)

5ª Feira – 11 de Junho
18h00/20h15: 2ª Qualificação (EI)
20h15/20h45: 24 Minutos (EI)
20h45/23h00: 3ª Qualificação (EI)

6ª Feira – 12 de Junho

Sábado – 13 de Junho
07h45/08h45: Warm-up (EI)
08h45/09h45: Corrida Legends (EI)
13h15/20h00: Corrida (EI)
20h00/20h30: 24 Minutos (EI)
20h00/20h30: Corrida (E2)
20h30/24h00: Corrida (EI)

Domingo – 14 de Junho
00h00/07h30: Corrida (EI)
07h30/08h00: 24 Minutos (EI)
07h30/08h00: Corrida (E2)
08h00/14h45: Corrida (EI)
18h30/19h30: “Best Of” da 83ª edição das 24 Horas de Le Mans (EI)
I can't say if it's totally accurate (it does say 83rd running though so it is for 2015) and it's obviously Portuguese optimized, but we can take some things out of that:

* all 4 hours of Free Practice broadcasted again, thank ya! not the case every year so always good to hear
* extra 15 mins added to Q2/Q3/warm-up, also legends starts 15 mins earlier
* saturday afternoon 24 minutes (=prerace) slot replaced by just "race coverage" so it should be better
* only bits of race on Eurosport 2 will be the overlapping 24 minutes slots, so it's pretty much round the clock coverage on single channel
* highlight reel on same day as race finish
* otherwise 'business as usual' ES coverage = Good amount again!

Obviously British and other ES variations might differ but that should be it for International

Last edited by Deleted; 25 May 2015 at 10:01.
Old 26 May 2015, 12:14 (Ref:3541371)   #183
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope Robbie Knock is back for the 24 minutes program as I enjoy a good laugh....
Old 26 May 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3541377)   #184
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
I hope Robbie Knock is back for the 24 minutes program as I enjoy a good laugh....
If anyone's interested it will be Neil Cole this year - from WRC and World RallyCross fame.

https://twitter.com/neilcole?lang=en
Old 26 May 2015, 14:57 (Ref:3541414)   #185
Deleted
Veteran

Never heard of him but being better than Tiffert or that clown doesn't take that much Though, as said before, Robbie did provide such great world class sitcom between 2010-2012? that it cannot ever be repeated again, anywhere.

Now the horrendous wait to hear if CK is involved in any way.

That schedule is pretty much official for all of Eurosport btw as I've seen it implemented for other nationalities as well now. British may have few changes as they often do but not sure.
Old 26 May 2015, 18:38 (Ref:3541485)   #186
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You'll hate him.
Old 26 May 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3541487)   #187
Deleted
Veteran

Maybe.

But the only ones I truly hate are CK and Chris Parsons. And the embarrassing French accent pitlane questions 5 year old would ask.

Stuart Hall is driving so he's obviously off from the ES UK team (not that this has previously prevented him from popping up from time to time anyway) but I bet Faulkner and seatless Mowlem are there again from the active driver front.

As for FOX Sports coverage, Pruett hi to family at home wasn't part of the package last year, god can only hope for that in 2015 too! Also obviously Dorsey is off (unless they make one off return deal with him) which is bit of a bummer, even though he wasn't universally liked.

Recently rewatched entire SPEED coverage of LM 2010 and mr Pruett was reaching CK level of irritation.

Last edited by Deleted; 26 May 2015 at 18:59.
Old 26 May 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3541511)   #188
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Le Mans clashes with the Criterium du Dauphine again this year so I'd imagine Carlton is doing that.
Old 26 May 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3541538)   #189
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If anyone's interested it will be Neil Cole this year - from WRC and World RallyCross fame.

https://twitter.com/neilcole?lang=en
Believe me, this is 2000% improvement. Not sure how familiar he is with LM but maybe it is even a good thing, but he isn't a tool like Knock, is enthusiastic and doesn't always look like it is his first tv gig. I think he also does the WRC rally radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjfz4EYAPcs

Last edited by deggis; 26 May 2015 at 20:45.
Old 26 May 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3541545)   #190
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And the embarrassing French accent pitlane questions 5 year old would ask.
Justine Monnier. She is so embarrassing with her stupid questions that I wonder why doesn't ACO/LMEM just provide Louise Beckett and other one from ELMS broadcasts for them for free as long as they keep Justine away at least from the English broadcast.
Old 27 May 2015, 07:21 (Ref:3541656)   #191
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Now the horrendous wait to hear if CK is involved in any way.
There is a simple way round that mute the TV and put Radio Le Mans on instead, that is what will be happening in my house.
Old 27 May 2015, 07:29 (Ref:3541657)   #192
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There is a simple way round that mute the TV and put Radio Le Mans on instead, that is what will be happening in my house.
That sounds a good plan for 2015, but you should put plans in for 2016 to actually return to the race after a break that no stretches for rather to long, it will be good to see you there again
Old 27 May 2015, 07:50 (Ref:3541660)   #193
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And in our gazebo on Houx
Old 27 May 2015, 10:38 (Ref:3541682)   #194
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Justine Monnier. She is so embarrassing with her stupid questions that I wonder why doesn't ACO/LMEM just provide Louise Beckett and other one from ELMS broadcasts for them for free as long as they keep Justine away at least from the English broadcast.
Yeah Yvan's fiancee does make you want to bang your head to the wall, but Adelaide de Gouvion st Cyr is just as cringeworthy. Tiffert is slightly more tolerable but still about as informative as my aunt.

The French connection is obviously what keeps them there I imagine they're doing double duty with ES FR and money is being saved.

Also as much as ACO/FIA seem to want to bring the gap between LM and "other races" closer, it's pretty clear that with the different contracts for this one race the "WEC people" don't have as much impact on things. Eurosport surely doesn't want outsiders (even if Beckett for example was formerly on Eurosport for WTCC) but their own salary people.

Quote:
Le Mans clashes with the Criterium du Dauphine again this year so I'd imagine Carlton is doing that.
You don't say...

Quote:
I've said it before, but it's the one time of the year I actually do prefer to listen to the ES commentary instead of RLM like at every other rave. And I mean British ES as Finnish Eurosport is so god awful you are rolling your eyes in a heartbeat.

Now even with British, it's obviously half of those people don't know what they're talking about and have found their facts from their arses. But Jeremy Shaw and Martin Haven provide pretty entertaining 'fighting duo' and Mowlem/Faulkner/Hall etc drivers are good to listen to. There's weird charm to it. Also there's 99% less Nissan commercialism and 45 minute Darren Cox "interview" interruptions, plus other sponsor messages, and you get break from Trussers eternal notebook checks.

The second time I watch the race, it's with FOX comms. If I find the broadcast. It's usually not that hard. They're a good bunch and less NASCAR-oriented than when with USCC. And now with Pruett seemingly gone more compact.

Third time is with RLM coms, at the very latest when I watch the Duke review.

I find that the best part of RLM coverage all week is the Thursday pit walk with Sam Collins's input, always extremely informative.

Last edited by Deleted; 27 May 2015 at 10:43.
Old 29 May 2015, 11:49 (Ref:3542489)   #195
Deleted
Veteran

Confirmed for British Eurosport comms:

Martin Haven
Jeremy Shaw
Damien Faulkner
Sam Hancock
Liz Halliday
Tom Gaymor
Mark Cole
Neil Cole
(maybe/prob others, Hay etc)

BUT INDEED NO CK THANK GOD.

Tom has never done LM24 before but when I watched GP2 many years ago on Eurosport he was sorta okay, not terrible.

Last edited by Deleted; 29 May 2015 at 12:00.
Old 29 May 2015, 12:06 (Ref:3542493)   #196
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Tom Gaymor seems to be one of the few people who will argue back against Haven when he doesn't read the rulebook and (inevitably) goes on a rant.
Old 29 May 2015, 15:07 (Ref:3542558)   #197
Deleted
Veteran

Jeremy loves to argue with Martin in any situation
Old 30 May 2015, 15:42 (Ref:3542922)   #198
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hate to be the bearer of bad news for most Americans, but it looks as if we're only getting about 3 hours on FS1, neither of it being at the start or finish. Lots of coverage of Sprint Cup practice, Women's World Cup RERUNS, and live coverage of the Under-20 world cup...
Old 30 May 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3542924)   #199
Deleted
Veteran

Where did you catch that, I thought FS1 listings only went 1 week forward?

Anyway... 3 hours It's gonna get craptastic ratings on Fox Sports 2. And is even that obscure channel gonna get much coverage seeing as Bob Varsha recently tweeted "on FOX Sports GO" in addition to 1 and 2

The days of SPEED... Speedvision...
Old 30 May 2015, 15:57 (Ref:3542929)   #200
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Where did you catch that, I thought FS1 listings only went 1 week forward?

Anyway... 3 hours It's gonna get craptastic ratings on Fox Sports 2. And is even that obscure channel gonna get much coverage seeing as Bob Varsha recently tweeted "on FOX Sports GO" in addition to 1 and 2

The days of SPEED... Speedvision...
I'm going to hope and pray that it's inaccurate, but on tvguide.com/listings you can just keep clicking forward days. The day doesn't list June 13th but the listings are there and the schedule for other live events are accurate. I see there is an hour blocked off from 7-8 PM, then 330-730 AM and 9-930 for postrace on FS1. So actually 5 HOURS!!!!!

Ugh, this is so frustrating. But corporate man Bob is bragging about 25 hours of straight coverage. The least FOX could do would to make the entire race available to FOX Sports GO at least. Sad that the network that used to show the entire race with either no or minimal (1-2 hours) interruptions is reduced to this. Even less than than the 2 WEC races we've had. This guide doesn't have FS2 but I would presume most of it will be there.