Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 30 Apr 2015, 11:28 (Ref:3532150)   #751
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Colin's right, way things are going there will eventually be less red tape involved if flying across Europe rather than driving!

Don't you believe it, Mike, just ask the Private Pilot community
Old 30 Apr 2015, 11:37 (Ref:3532156)   #752
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
..... Also love the Tucano turboprop trainer- just a modern interpretation of a WW2 fighter to me.
2 things about the Tucano:

1. It wasn't the aircraft that the RAF wanted, they originally chose the Swiss Pilatus PC9 but we're over ruled by the Politicians who wanted to secure jobs in N Ireland (the Tucano being built under licence by Shorts)
2. To save money the MOD specified that they remove the hard points for weapons, but the re-design cost money and when Afghanistan happened and the RAF wanted to consider deploying them a s a cheap and cheerful counter insurgency aircraft they couldn't because..... They didn't have the hard points and it would cost too much to re-engineer them back in.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 11:56 (Ref:3532162)   #753
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Don't you believe it, Mike, just ask the Private Pilot community
I know, but we can manipulate the facts to fit the discussion!

The Tucano story sounds typical of MoD.......
Old 30 Apr 2015, 12:07 (Ref:3532167)   #754
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Like Question time.

Have you been talking to the TV again?
Old 30 Apr 2015, 15:57 (Ref:3532241)   #755
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Most will probably be aware of this but just in case - if you intend hiring a hire abroad after 8th June 2015 note the driving licence (paper counterpart) changes mentioned in the BBC link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382

Thankfully, it won't apply to those of us who still have the old style non-photo licence.
Some years ago a friend tried to hire a car using a UK plastic driving licence and was told that he needed the paper one because the plastic one did not show any offences (e.g. whether it is valid or not!).

Of course that was in the UK and not abroad - until now most other countries assumed that possession of a driving licence meant you weren't banned since they tend to physically relieve you of them when you are banned and insist on you having it when driving.

So you should all be grateful that some British bureaucrat has informed the foreign ones of the situation!!
Old 30 Apr 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3532266)   #756
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Colin's right, way things are going there will eventually be less red tape involved if flying across Europe rather than driving!

Iain, there could be another reason why you can now consume a whole Mallory brekkie- your capacity to do so has increased. One word- seatbelts!

Hmmm well I tested a FJ Gemini today as well and for the very first time , apart from when I drive with a very good mate of mine who is a stick insect I had to slacken the lap belt.
Here is the latest Delta build. ; ;

Last edited by delta; 30 Apr 2015 at 17:15.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 17:13 (Ref:3532268)   #757
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st outing Lightweight E Type Mallory 2015..jpg
Views:	20
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	44943 We were well chuffed when asked at the track if this car was one of the Million Pound Heritage E Types.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3532297)   #758
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Attachment 44943 We were well chuffed when asked at the track if this car was one of the Million Pound Heritage E Types.
Very pretty! And a Delta E must be far less common than those Heritage ones, so could be worth more....
Old 1 May 2015, 04:34 (Ref:3532420)   #759
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks lovely Iain.
Old 1 May 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3532446)   #760
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just walked past a shop selling "Children's quality shoes". So is that "Children's quality" shoes or Children's "quality shoes"? If the former then surely equal rights people need to be told.....

Good luck and safe racing to any tenthers at Donington this weekend. Now looks like worst rain will be during Saturday night. If so- jammy buggers!
Old 1 May 2015, 09:28 (Ref:3532455)   #761
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing as this is a motorracing forum and it seems we've been talking about aeroplanes ... time to join the dots ... did you know that a Tucano force-landed on the track at Silverstone ? If i recall correctly, on the section after Stowe, but before Vale and all that modern nonsense - to be fair it was some time ago!
Old 1 May 2015, 10:28 (Ref:3532472)   #762
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Seeing as this is a motorracing forum and it seems we've been talking about aeroplanes ... time to join the dots ... did you know that a Tucano force-landed on the track at Silverstone ? If i recall correctly, on the section after Stowe, but before Vale and all that modern nonsense - to be fair it was some time ago!
Oh for the days when Silverstone had a Fly In of vintage planes during the "Classic" weekend.

Now they are restricted to helicopters. Some of those may be old but hardly vintage.
Old 1 May 2015, 10:53 (Ref:3532479)   #763
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Oh for the days when Silverstone had a Fly In of vintage planes during the "Classic" weekend.

Now they are restricted to helicopters. Some of those may be old but hardly vintage.
And when F1 drivers and team principals would fly in to Silverstone in their private planes. And, certainly when I raced there in the sixties, you could apply to the CoC to conduct straight line testing on the runway between practice and your race. Life was so easy in those respects back then.
Old 1 May 2015, 11:27 (Ref:3532486)   #764
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Attachment 44943 We were well chuffed when asked at the track if this car was one of the Million Pound Heritage E Types.
The owners have been in to see me. They want us to build another one.
Old 1 May 2015, 11:30 (Ref:3532487)   #765
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Anything goes in tea break! I can remember planes flying into Snetterton, but obviously old airfield circuits had an advantage in that respect! So now, apart from Goody and Croft, which other UK circuits can you fly into with a fixed wing machine?
Old 1 May 2015, 11:40 (Ref:3532489)   #766
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
The owners have been in to see me. They want us to build another one.
You shouldn't have made such a good job of that one- or charged more!

Old 1 May 2015, 12:12 (Ref:3532500)   #767
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Anything goes in tea break! I can remember planes flying into Snetterton, but obviously old airfield circuits had an advantage in that respect! So now, apart from Goody and Croft, which other UK circuits can you fly into with a fixed wing machine?
Several years ago something went wrong with a Shorts 360 landing at East Mids Airport and it flew in to Donington Park!

I actually suspect that if DP was being proposed now it may not get built due to that potential risk?
Old 1 May 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3532501)   #768
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Donington - almost ...

A British Midland pilot did manage to fly a Fokker F27 in a few decades ago on a training flight one Sunday.

Obviously it didn't fly out again. In fact I don't think it flew again.

ETA: Hah! Andy got in before me!
Old 1 May 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3532504)   #769
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thruxton?
Old 1 May 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3532517)   #770
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A10s never fail to impress when having a play! Also love the Tucano turboprop trainer- just a modern interpretation of a WW2 fighter to me.

Anyone remember our attempt at VTOL transport in the '50s? I give you the Fairy Rotodyne...
Didn't work Mike, apparently 'cos it was too noisy amongst other reasons !!
Old 1 May 2015, 13:38 (Ref:3532531)   #771
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:

Anyone remember our attempt at VTOL transport in the '50s? I give you the Fairy Rotodyne...
Not VTOL but STOL:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armst...itworth_AW.681

There are some great books on the demise of the British aircraft industry such as "Project Cancelled" and "Enpire of the Clouds" which I fully recommend
Old 1 May 2015, 17:11 (Ref:3532637)   #772
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
Didn't work Mike, apparently 'cos it was too noisy amongst other reasons !!
Yes, I would imagine not very efficient, either! I only remember it because of the Airfix model.....

Andy, that plane looks far too normal! As for cancelled projects, don't get me started on the TSR2.....

Old 1 May 2015, 17:14 (Ref:3532641)   #773
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
YAs for cancelled projects, don't get me started on the TSR2.....

Yeah but think of the money Harold saved us.....and we all survived.
Old 1 May 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3532675)   #774
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Not VTOL but STOL:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armst...itworth_AW.681

There are some great books on the demise of the British aircraft industry such as "Project Cancelled" and "Enpire of the Clouds" which I fully recommend
A little bit of cosmetic tarting up, and I give you the Bae 146 (and Avro 146). The UK have managed to produce the concepts of aircraft that, in reality, are way ahead of their time, and not necessarily just starting with the Comet.

And whilst talking about aircraft and not landing where they should have done, there is the classic case some many years ago when a Chinese government pilot who was test flying a BAC 1-11 out of the British Aerospace airfield at Hatfield in Hertfordshire, which at the time was certified for heavy aircraft. On his return, he mistakenly landed the plane at Leavesden aerodrome which was on the same bearing and which only had a shortish runway suitable for light aircraft.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 1 May 2015 at 18:18.
Old 1 May 2015, 20:50 (Ref:3532729)   #775
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
As for cancelled projects, don't get me started on the TSR2.....

I'm going to have to start!!

The TSR-2 is a fabled aircraft now, but in reality cancelling it was the right decision! Controversial?

The fact is that it was a relatively conventional airframe which required the most complex electronic radar and navigation equipment to operate. It was so far ahead of its time that no country in the world could have made up work properly, certainly not 1960s UK.

It was a fine concept but no one in world had built an integrated weapon system, which the TSR-2 was meant to be, and no one really achieved it until a couple of decades later. To be honest, the real failure was that the UK failed to develop and market theBuccaneer properly instead, and that really could and should have been a world beater.

The UK should probably have developed and deployed the Buccaneer more whilst continuing to develop the TSR-2 as a technology demonstrator/ R&D aircraft but the TSR-2 was an aircraft that was too ambitious, too complex and too expensive for the time.

Last edited by andy97; 1 May 2015 at 21:09.