Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Sep 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2760290)   #1
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1979 Tricentrol RAC British Saloon Car Championship

Hi folks,

As part of my endeavour to put BTCC/BSCC race results and information online I've recently begun purchasing old Autosport magazines.

Is anyone able to help in this area? I'm sure there must be people with old Autosport/Motoring News available to help fill in the gaps. Also is anyone aware of any other websites that might be pursuing a similar goal? I'm finding archive information on the BTCC prior to 1990 is very hard to find on the internet!

Over time I hope to add more information for more season but for now I'm just focussing on 1979 - and browsing the archives of this forum!

The first entry into the 70's has seen me take a look at 1979.

The first result entry I've got is for Round 5 - http://www.touring-cars.net/results/1979/rd5.php

Can anyone add or correct information on this race?

Many thanks,

Andy
Old 16 Sep 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2760337)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Andy

Two main ports of call come to mind- firstly Frank de Jong's Touringcarracing.net. It's mainly an ETCC/WTCC (pre-1988) website, but Frank is also including results from national series- Up to about 1980 for the BTCC so far
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/Pages/BSCC.html

You'll also find that the results from about 1980 to 1990 have been extensively discussed on here in recent months- usually a thread for each year, with results compiled as best we can from Autosport reports and other sources

(try 'similar threads' at the bottom of the page, which has picked up several of them)
Old 16 Sep 2010, 16:44 (Ref:2760437)   #3
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking as the host of www.touringcarracing.net, feel free to check and use data from my site (but please give credits) - if you come across any errors please let me know. Your 1979 Donington results give at least qualifying times which I don't have. My sources are mainly Motoring News, so together with Autosport that should give a better picture of the BSCC/BTCC.
Love the layout, by the way!
Old 16 Sep 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2760622)   #4
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your website looks great Frank. Perhaps working together we can help to fill in the blanks! How long have you been working on your project?

I'll certainly give you a credit on the website, the same for you Kevan.

Aside from ebay are there many other locations to find old publications?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2760768)   #5
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
Your website looks great Frank. Perhaps working together we can help to fill in the blanks! How long have you been working on your project?
Nearly 10 years... working on 1981 now, so that should get online in a month or so.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2761150)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank de Jong View Post
Nearly 10 years... working on 1981 now, so that should get online in a month or so.
I was going to say, we might as well start a 1981 Tricentrol season review/results list on this section as well if that will help you?

Anyone want to kick it off as i'm sure it will prove as useful as the other years in our little series?
Old 18 Sep 2010, 09:56 (Ref:2761154)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
May I have a quick punt at some of the runners and riders for '79 for dicussions sake:

Class A
Spice & Craft, GSR Capris
Woodman & Buncombe, Esso Capris
Graham, Brut Capri
Allam, BP Capri
Blackburn, Voxon Capri
Vandervell, Triplex Capri
Percy, Rouse, Quester?, TWR BMW
Various, Toleman BMW
Rouse, Capri?

Class B
Walkinshaw, Pentax RX7
Marshall, Triplex Dolomite
Greenslade, Triplex Dolomite
Whizzo, Magnum
Foster, Magnum
Dron, Dolomite

Class C
Lloyd, Golf

Class D
Longman Mini
Curnow Mini
Dooley, Alfasud

That's all i can think of without referring to entry lists.

Tags
btcc, capri, dolomite, group 1, tricentrol saloons