Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Oct 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2776546)   #1
Gungebucket
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cornwall, UK
Gungebucket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone early 1966

First attempt at uploading a photo. No telephoto lens so I had to get close to the action. Don't think that would be allowed these days!
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone early 1966.jpg  
Old 18 Oct 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2776704)   #2
alolympic
Rookie

alolympic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pic!
Old 18 Oct 2010, 16:10 (Ref:2776721)   #3
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Wow! Please continue. Color pictures from that era are rare indeed. And I'd love to use it (albeit in reduced size) for my website www.touringcarracing.net ...
Old 18 Oct 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2776737)   #4
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That picture reminds me of a film that used to go around the churches/youthclubs when I was a lad. It had an Imp racing in it, although IIRC it was at Brands, probably some decent footage, I think it wiped out in the end. I wonder if anyone remembers it.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2776738)   #5
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderful

Look at the crowds in the grandstands.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2776757)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungebucket View Post
First attempt at uploading a photo. No telephoto lens so I had to get close to the action. Don't think that would be allowed these days!
Super shot for so many reasons.

I think you are right - very unlikely to be allowed these days. Even the pit crews have to clear the walls.

On the other hand I stumbled across a site recently where there were some actions shots, or so it seemed, taken this year where the carsand camera were similarly located compared to the end of the pit wall. Different track though.

It is possible that the shots may have been a set up (though I somehow doubt it) or that the camera was set up between races and triggered remotely.

Whatever the story the results were quite different to what we normally expect these days. Which was refreshing.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2776786)   #7
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That picture reminds me of a film that used to go around the churches/youthclubs when I was a lad. It had an Imp racing in it, although IIRC it was at Brands, probably some decent footage, I think it wiped out in the end. I wonder if anyone remembers it.
I remember it even though I only saw it once. The film was made by Rootes and follows the Alan Fraser racing team for one season (1966 I think) and mum and dad are in it!!!

The cars in the picture are being driven by Peter Proctor (maroon Anglia), Anita Taylor (white Anglia),the Fraser Imps are probably being driven by Nick Brittan and Peter Harper or Rosemary Smith, the black Imp is probably Bill McGovern but I have no idea about the Minis.

Love to see some more gungebucket.

Glyn
Old 19 Oct 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2777084)   #8
Gungebucket
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cornwall, UK
Gungebucket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank de Jong View Post
Wow! Please continue. Color pictures from that era are rare indeed. And I'd love to use it (albeit in reduced size) for my website www.touringcarracing.net ...
Hey Frank, no problem to use the piccy (a credit would be nice though, my name is David Ray). I think we may have met once, I worked for Vic Heylen in the 60's and early 70's. I always had a camera with me and have loads of pictures, must upload them soon.
Old 19 Oct 2010, 15:40 (Ref:2777127)   #9
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungebucket View Post
Hey Frank, no problem to use the piccy (a credit would be nice though, my name is David Ray). I think we may have met once, I worked for Vic Heylen in the 60's and early 70's. I always had a camera with me and have loads of pictures, must upload them soon.
Thanks David, of course I'll give you credit - check my site and you'll see how it's done. Don't think we have met, Frank de Jong is a very common name in the Netherlands.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2778029)   #10
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Alfie72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As my mother would have said, my forgettery is better nowadays than my memory so bear with me.....

The photo is a beauty and brings back many happy memories...but....I do not remember sleepers facing the banks on the outside of the circuit until 1970. Am I mistaken?
Also, where is the Dunlop Tower - on the outside of Woodcote, the forerunner to the Autosport tower? there's nothing there but a scaffolding tower. I was fairly certain - until now - that in 1966 it was there.

But as I said, it's a super photo, and I bet that Richard Philips would like some crowds like that nowadays!
Old 23 Oct 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2778835)   #11
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
I'm pretty sure it's the International Trophy, May 14th 1966, since the starting numbers match those on my site. In front Calcutt (#5), then Brittan (#4) and Fitzpatrick (#3). The red mini on the left is possibly Bucket, the red Anglia behind seems a Superspeed car, I guess Craft since Young finished 5th in the race and should be well ahead of the cars in this picture. The white Anglia on the left is perhaps Paul Webb, #1?
Old 23 Oct 2010, 11:14 (Ref:2778875)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank de Jong View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the International Trophy, May 14th 1966, since the starting numbers match those on my site. In front Calcutt (#5), then Brittan (#4) and Fitzpatrick (#3). The red mini on the left is possibly Bucket, the red Anglia behind seems a Superspeed car, I guess Craft since Young finished 5th in the race and should be well ahead of the cars in this picture. The white Anglia on the left is perhaps Paul Webb, #1?
Could the white Anglia be Anita Taylor?
Old 23 Oct 2010, 11:23 (Ref:2778878)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter, see Glyn's #7 above.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2778967)   #14
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry sorry sorry
I was responding to Frank's post No. 11. I had read the whole post but missed Glyn's mention of Anita Taylor.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2779697)   #15
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anita Taylors Anglia.

I bought that car from Anita in late 66. Unfortunately I had a bit of a shunt with it. The front end was replaced for 67.
See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
1966 Mallory Park Short Circuit.jpg  
Old 24 Oct 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2779705)   #16
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam

But Anita's car should be maroon as well, since she was Fitzpatrick's teammate?
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2780340)   #17
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't panic Frank, you are not going mad. Anita definitely used the white car until Goodwood 1966 (the Proctor crash) and after that race was more regularly seen in the maroon version (white car sold to Gerry Taylor as described above).

Glyn
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2780344)   #18
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just an aside guys. I was so proud of that white car, as Anita was a lovely lady, and I had to go and shunt it...DOH! All such a long time ago now.