Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jun 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3546196)   #1001
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
So had brilliant run back from Nurburgring and got home at 3am . 3 hours sleep on to work swop trucks and head back down to Dover collect Duncan on route for dinner time ferry . It's now 18.00 and I am still waiting to get on ferry . Blooming French are on strike in Calais
Old 8 Jun 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3546293)   #1002
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So had brilliant run back from Nurburgring and got home at 3am . 3 hours sleep on to work swop trucks and head back down to Dover collect Duncan on route for dinner time ferry . It's now 18.00 and I am still waiting to get on ferry . Blooming French are on strike in Calais
Blimey Iain you setting a European record in crossings or something?

Sadly I missed Joe (see the HRDC posts)

What's wrong with the fuel? Anything particular or just weak over priced Euro****?!
Old 9 Jun 2015, 05:18 (Ref:3546358)   #1003
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oi! You leave the euro alone, I like it as it is (or rather where the pound is) Im sure Gordon will back that statement
Old 9 Jun 2015, 07:13 (Ref:3546382)   #1004
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Oi! You leave the euro alone, I like it as it is (or rather where the pound is) Im sure Gordon will back that statement
Perfect, a three course meal with wine for six quid !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Jun 2015, 11:51 (Ref:3546457)   #1005
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Me and Duncan stopped at Dunkirk last night . We got stuck in traffic in morning just out side antwerp. Anyway two imogrants jumped out of Traler I felt a bit sorry for them as we had taken them 100 mikes the wrong way .
Old 9 Jun 2015, 12:05 (Ref:3546463)   #1006
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better check the car & contents Iain. They have a habit of leaving fairly unpleasant prezzies behind. You might not feel so sorry for them once you've cleaned it up!
Old 9 Jun 2015, 12:27 (Ref:3546472)   #1007
PeterY
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
PeterY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Me and Duncan stopped at Dunkirk last night . We got stuck in traffic in morning just out side antwerp. Anyway two imogrants jumped out of Traler I felt a bit sorry for them as we had taken them 100 mikes the wrong way .
Thats brilliant Iain, you know your luck isn't in when that happens!
Old 9 Jun 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3546481)   #1008
Jan Biekens
Rookie

Jan Biekens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Stopped just outside Antwerp ? You should have called me Iain and I would have brought you some Jupiler
Old 9 Jun 2015, 14:12 (Ref:3546514)   #1009
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
As far as we can tell just a few water bottles but one of the bottles did look a bit discoloured . Now in the bin . My dear old good friend Keith messer found 11 of them in his trailer at the weekend on his way back from Dijon
Old 9 Jun 2015, 16:03 (Ref:3546548)   #1010
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Are you sure they weren't a couple of previous entrants to the UK who had decided to make an escape to the EU?
Old 9 Jun 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3546584)   #1011
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
My dear old good friend Keith messer found 11 of them in his trailer at the weekend on his way back from Dijon
Wow. I'm convinced the authorities over there have a new plan to lower the numbers- rather than trucks driving straight into check-in at Calais via the dual carriageway at 80kph, now they are taken off at the port junction, then made to drive very slowly though several areas of parked vehicles via a winding 'deviation' to get to check in. And guess what, all the way through there are figures lurking in the shadows ready to take advantage of any opportunity......

And someone answer this, please- The ferries are chock-a-block nowadays with E European reg (mostly PL) Sprinter size chassis cabs with small curtain side bodies. They usually have a f/glass pod over cab which assume is to sleep in, and knackered looking drivers. What on earth are they carrying, it must be high value considering the small quantity they can take! Some people over there are making a killing producing the bodies and selling the chassis cabs.....

Old 9 Jun 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3546627)   #1012
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well done Simon . Gordon and Joe . Did you see Nick JM at all . Me and Skelly Telly have been flying the tenth flag at Nurburgring . Don't ask him about fuel .😘
What's that about fuel?
Old 9 Jun 2015, 20:40 (Ref:3546650)   #1013
mike faloon
Rookie

mike faloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Iain, if we are going to be accurate, Keith's trailer had twelve in ; felt rather sorry for them, ranged in age from 13/14 to late teens, no possessions, just what they were wearing.
Old 9 Jun 2015, 23:53 (Ref:3546697)   #1014
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
What on earth are they carrying, it must be high value considering the small quantity they can take!
Sandwich makers.

Old 10 Jun 2015, 05:06 (Ref:3546735)   #1015
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike faloon View Post
Hi Iain, if we are going to be accurate, Keith's trailer had twelve in ; felt rather sorry for them, ranged in age from 13/14 to late teens, no possessions, just what they were wearing.
Yes Mike I do as well but don't know what the answer is . Been discussed before on here.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 11:58 (Ref:3546838)   #1016
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes Mike I do as well but don't know what the answer is . Been discussed before on here.
Get out of EU to start with, Iain. Though I guess that'd make your life/business/travelling over the water a lot harder??
Old 10 Jun 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3546845)   #1017
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re-instate the Empire so that their own country becomes such a paragon of quality English rule that they won't want to run away from it anyway.

Or make slavery legal again so all the males of trouble-making age are chained into plantations.

Now where's the emoticon for "tongue in cheek"????
Old 10 Jun 2015, 12:34 (Ref:3546856)   #1018
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Or make slavery legal again so all the males of trouble-making age are chained into plantations.
It occurred to me the other day that a lot of the concept of "Slavery" that people keep apologising for are elements in the mass migration that seems to be happening these days.

Overcrowded boats, poor conditions and so on.

This time it's self selection though.

The apparent "need" to move still seems to have the same sort of root cause and the same peoples creating it. Nothing changes very much in some parts of the world.

My bet it that most of the people making the journey, given the opportunity, would rather head West than North.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 12:46 (Ref:3546862)   #1019
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it hadn't been for original migration we'd all be living on the Rift Valley.

As for slavery, how many of the "people traffickers" already have markets for the poor souls they "rescue"? The difference is they get paid both on the "supply" and "end user" sides of the transaction.
Old 10 Jun 2015, 13:01 (Ref:3546868)   #1020
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear View Post
Get out of EU to start with, Iain. Though I guess that'd make your life/business/travelling over the water a lot harder??
That wouldn't help Dan. It's the welfare state that's the attraction, I doubt many of them have a clue what the EU is. Unless we build a virtual iron curtain (difficult to build a real one mid channel) it's just another border to them, and by the time they get to Calais they've had a fair bit of practice crossing borders.

Now, if we were to take the Nord Pas back under English rule we could do something about it
Old 10 Jun 2015, 16:17 (Ref:3546969)   #1021
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
On ferry at Kiel . Having a beer in the sun . That's all
Old 10 Jun 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3547028)   #1022
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It occurred to me the other day that a lot of the concept of "Slavery" that people keep apologising for are elements in the mass migration .
Speaking of apologies for previous misdeeds I reckon the French should be made to apologise for the invasion of our shores in 1066. Without that we would all be living in clover ...
Old 11 Jun 2015, 08:17 (Ref:3547336)   #1023
midgetman
Veteran

What about the Italians apologising for their Roman Empire and the damage it did to indigenous cultures (after all what did the Romans ever do for us etc? ).
Old 11 Jun 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3547359)   #1024
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
What about the Italians apologising for their Roman Empire and the damage it did to indigenous cultures (after all what did the Romans ever do for us etc? ).
They did introduce circuit racing to Europe!
Old 11 Jun 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3547400)   #1025
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I rather feel that we might have to apologise for more!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Closed Thread