Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Sep 2000, 13:35 (Ref:38172)   #1
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, another BTCC season has been run and won. A tinge of sadness with this one, too, as it was the last of arguably the most successful era in the history of Touring Cars - Super Touring.

What were your favourite moments from the season just gone?
Old 20 Sep 2000, 14:12 (Ref:38188)   #2
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Leslie Letting Reid( and the rest of the world ) know
that although he isn't driving a top notch car, NO FORD MONDEO SHALL PASS HIM WITHOUT A FIGHT!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 20 Sep 2000, 14:29 (Ref:38191)   #3
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Ah... Donington Feature Race!! And do I believe Matt Neal was off to buy Leslie a beer or three after the race for his efforts?

Also, while I was disappointed with the end result of the Championship, for sheer drama and excitement, I really don't think the final race of the season could be beaten.

There was Tommy K out in front, so there was nothing exciting there in terms of racing, but behind him was where it was at. The Fords of Menu and Reid were being viciously hunted down by the three Vectras of Plato, Radermecker and Muller.

Brilliant racing all the way down the Super Touring field; even David Leslie in the old Primera was in on the act until the car expired. What a way for Super Touring to depart the British scene...
Old 20 Sep 2000, 17:27 (Ref:38223)   #4
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if I have to choose from the BTCC only I would have to say any race Ford didn't win! Every race was close, everyone apart from Raders won at least once - heh even the Vauxhalls won!!!

But the best bit of the whole year -

RICK WINNING AT BRANDS

Now that was something else.
Old 20 Sep 2000, 21:26 (Ref:38275)   #5
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I wasn't talking support races...

As you pointed out, however, it was wonderful that all barring one of the Super Tourer drivers won a race - and the way Vincent was driving towards the end of the season, it seems only the car stopped him from jumping on the podium...
Old 21 Sep 2000, 10:21 (Ref:38355)   #6
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Au contraire mon ami Antipodean,
I believe you were indeed discussing the support races for the crowd pulling, bill topping Clio cup!
I agree with Les.
(A totally unbiased)
RickP:Clio33
Old 21 Sep 2000, 17:17 (Ref:38435)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
But, Rick, Sir, what was your favourite BTCC moment? I know the Clios are probably more popular than the 'top line' BTCC, so what was your fave 'support race' action?
Old 21 Sep 2000, 17:33 (Ref:38443)   #8
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me the funniest moment of the season was when we were sitting in Redgate Lodge after the Donington round, and Anthony Reid walked in - with a crowd of rowdies sat outside shouting abuse at him. He looked so ****ed about it...
Old 21 Sep 2000, 17:37 (Ref:38445)   #9
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Highlights . . . . there have been soo many.

Brands - the first race of the season.
Snetteron - us all getting drunk!
Donington - us all watching the race and F1 on the TV.
Oulton - standing on the pit wall.
Brands - Matty and RICK winning their races!

In fact I could name something at each circuit
Old 21 Sep 2000, 19:54 (Ref:38467)   #10
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
I have to agree with you Woody - there was something memorable at every meeting.
I've been going now 3 and a half years and this was the best ever.

I don't think we will see this speed/quality again but from reading Autosport this week, next season could be interesting. The way they are saying that Class A will have pit stops & Class B won't, could actually let a slower car win - now that would be a turn up for the books.
Can you imagine Morrison being allowed to beat Menu this year?
Old 22 Sep 2000, 06:55 (Ref:38543)   #11
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, I have seen virtually none of the Touring Car racing but my highlights all came at Croft:

The realisation during one shot showdown that my qualifying time would've been good enough for 2nd on the class B grid and after having a long argument about which corner was the most dangerous, one of the Vauxhalls sealed my victory by sticking it on it's roof at the corner I was arguing for.

Question: (Somewhat loaded..) if I get myself a class A car would you shout for me or Matt Neal? I put that question to fan #3 Woody TJ...

RickP:Clio33

Old 22 Sep 2000, 14:08 (Ref:38603)   #12
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
There's a simple answer to that eventuality, Rick. We could, in fact, shout the same thing at both of you: ARSE!!

Hey, you said it yourself earlier...

Being serious, though, of course we'd cheer you on, because at least your head isn't up ..... as you said to me at Brands!!
Old 22 Sep 2000, 19:51 (Ref:38640)   #13
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Oh Rick that is a unfair question!
Woody had better be carefull how she answers that!
Old 22 Sep 2000, 20:06 (Ref:38646)   #14
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by RickP:Clio33
I put that question to fan #3 Woody TJ...
Err. I'm intrigued.. Who are numbers 1 and 2? I could guess that Rick is Rick's #1 fan, but I'm not sure about #2

*duck*
Old 25 Sep 2000, 07:20 (Ref:39098)   #15
Veteran

England
Zurich
Mmmm, first black mark of the 2001 season goes to Chris Y and the 2000 season only finished a week ago...
They know who they are...
R
Old 25 Sep 2000, 19:18 (Ref:39218)   #16
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
How's it go, Rick? Me, myself and I, or something like that?

On the original topic, I'm going to agree with Woody for once (oh shyte, don't tell her that!) and say that the Sprint Race at Brands Hatch (Round 19) was one of the most exciting races I've ever witnessed.

Well, it was, until the Silverstone finale, that is. And now, having watched the complete TV coverage, I'm even more convinced. Or should that read con-Vince-d. What a bloke! Radermecker's obviously been taught how to take other drivers out by his team manager!!
Old 26 Sep 2000, 18:23 (Ref:39446)   #17
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No competition . . .just wish it was true Rick
Old 26 Sep 2000, 18:36 (Ref:39450)   #18
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
You'd still cheer for your Matty, wouldn't you? By the way, Woodster, have you seen the Pit Bull column in this week's Autosport? It seems Matt Neal is rather interested in Jenson Button's behind...
Old 27 Sep 2000, 05:13 (Ref:39551)   #19
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Nicely put Woody!
Old 27 Sep 2000, 14:10 (Ref:39632)   #20
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
The low for me would have to be missing the season opener at the Brands Hatch Grand Prix track; possibly the last time in its present state. We can only hope Donington gets the nod for the GP from 2002!!

I think there's one thing we'd all agree on, though, and that's that Snetterton's night race meeting was the absolute highlight of the season. Not so much for the racing, but for the atmosphere. Oh, and those babes who just happened to shout their 'support' at Vincent Apple the same moment we did...

Who's for clearing the pub again at the Mallett racing?
Old 29 Sep 2000, 07:43 (Ref:39923)   #21
Veteran

England
Zurich
Do I get the impression Woody managed to duck answering the question?
Don't panic Danielsun, I think Brands GP will still be intact for next season, they won't be digging up Mr Foulstons car for a while yet...
Old 29 Sep 2000, 13:18 (Ref:40003)   #22
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Highlights of BTCC 2000 eh? Well it wasn't the Australian TV coverage, that's for bloody sure!!! We got a sum total of 2 minutes of the enitre season. Several years ago we used to get 30 minutes of each round, and it was bloody good stuff. Unfortunately, ST in Aust is now covered by Channel 7 and they have spent the last 20 odd years demonstrating that Motorsport is of absolutely no interest/importance to them, 364 days a year.
Old 29 Sep 2000, 19:09 (Ref:40046)   #23
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
That's a bit scathing, Mr Paterson, considering that Channel Seven did introduce the world to the in-car camera and other such wonders in terms of presentation.

Having said that, Australian TV coverage of the BTCC has somewhat taken a dive in recent years, since - gasp - Nine had the rights to it. 6:30am timeslots on Saturday mornings did no justice, but at least they did show full half-hour programmes, rather than the odd lowlights package, as per Seven...

You just need to follow my lead if you want decent, live BTCC coverage: head 20,000km north!! Coverage ain't bad up this part of the world...
Old 29 Sep 2000, 19:12 (Ref:40047)   #24
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally posted by RickP:Clio33
Do I get the impression Woody managed to duck answering the question?
Don't panic Danielsun, I think Brands GP will still be intact for next season, they won't be digging up Mr Foulstons car for a while yet...
Rick, I sincerely hope that you're right on this one. I've been to two meetings at Brands since I arrived here and both have been at the poxy Indy track. I'd dearly loved to have been here for the BTCC season opener at the Grand Prix track and really pray that councils and government refuse the destruction of the most picturesque track in the UK.

Anyway, if the F1 circus can take to Indianapolis' banks, surely they can do some two-wheelin' through Dingle Dell!! Wonder if Schumacher would say it's too dangerous...
Old 30 Sep 2000, 11:49 (Ref:40174)   #25
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Daniel, 7 gave us racecam and what else......**** all. Surely you can't suggest the Mike Raymond productions were especially praiseworthy and I stick to my guns, 364 days a year, they just aren't interested.