Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Mar 2010, 08:48 (Ref:2653296)   #251
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Having worked on V8 Supercars I can tell you they are not wired the same as a road car. When the drivers put their front lights on (its the high beam light only not the normal headlight) when they are on a qualifying lap for example their rear parking lights aren't on at the same time.

I am sure that with everything that is going on a dim rear parking light is hardly a distraction.
Something is wrong with every car in the category then. Past events you can see their 'tail' lights on (and their brake lights brighter when they brake) while their front lights are on (either high beam or whatever setup they have)

Hence why i thought nothing of it when i saw jamies tail lights on.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2653304)   #252
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
It was nearing the end of the race. Discretion could have been used.

I keep reading the ruling was made in the interests of 'safety' but safety is all relative. How many times have we seen disabled cars on the side of the road near the end of a race and only a local yellow is employed instead of having the race finish under full course yellows? If a car manages to hit the disabled car, that's also a real safety issue, is it not?
Valid Point. This is worse when it's a wet track, all types of racing cars seem to go further, I think we have seen enough film clips from everywhere to remind us.

When I am trackside, I have to call what I see, I have called a few, fluid, components hanging off, lights on, or lights not working. I have called on all makes,and categorys, so I am not biased. Yes other post suggest the old V8SC entertainment rule, could well be. But as a Marshall we have to do what the rules say. Sometimes I wish they were guidlines, as there is more flexability with guidlines, but as a Steward, I can't , I have to go by the rules. Yes it sucks to the spectators, and TV audience. But to us officials this is what we have to do. I remeber an incident some years ago, the official was a fan of the driver, but had to call the indiscresion of the driver. The official felt bad, but still did the job as required. yes the driver did recieve a penalty, Unfourtunatley, the Control Tower decides, so unless the TEGA side can change a rule it will continue to happen.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2653326)   #253
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Something is wrong with every car in the category then. Past events you can see their 'tail' lights on (and their brake lights brighter when they brake) while their front lights are on (either high beam or whatever setup they have)

Hence why i thought nothing of it when i saw jamies tail lights on.
Anyone remember Larry getting a fine for Russell having a delay switch on the brake lights in his early days at Perkins Motorsport? May have even been at Amaroo!

Also generally the cars now have a pressure switch from the dash running one (high mount rear window) brake light
and a more normal mechanical switch on the pedal for the "Normal" brake light (Stop Tail location) operation.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2653327)   #254
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MeatBall !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1 View Post
Based on reading the difference between the flags in Rachel's post earlier, can anyone confirm if it was a Black flag or a Meatball flag that Jamie was shown?

Which maybe the guy in the yellow cap has had a few too many of ??
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2653328)   #255
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

6th isnt a bad effort is it??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Mar 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2653449)   #256
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post

Which maybe the guy in the yellow cap has had a few too many of ??
According to the rules as posted by Rachel earlier, the rules for the Meatball state that the driver must pit on the NEXT LAP. Did this occur? (does it ever? I seriously don't know the answer to that)
Old 16 Mar 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2653737)   #257
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seriously that black flag was shocking, and it was 100% Courtney's fault, IMO if you cause an avoidable (let alone intentional) accident with another car and it gets a penalty as a result, you should be subject to the same penalty.

I don't buy the bull**** about Whincup blocking, if you're the driver behind its your job to get past the car in front cleanly.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2653780)   #258
Geewizz
Racer

Geewizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Seriously that black flag was shocking, and it was 100% Courtney's fault, IMO if you cause an avoidable (let alone intentional) accident with another car and it gets a penalty as a result, you should be subject to the same penalty.

I don't buy the bull**** about Whincup blocking, if you're the driver behind its your job to get past the car in front cleanly.
Yep, agree 100% on both counts!

It was actually pretty pointless of JC continually tapping JW anyway. He obviously just didn't have the car speed or braking capabilities to pass him cleanly, and once he had tapped him once JW was always going to be the widest car on the track till the race end, so why risk ruining his own race (if he had spun JW he would have thrown his own race away by copping a drive thru), so what was the point?
Did he really think he was going to pressure JW into a mistake? I don't think so. If push came to shove JW probably would have let him go, and would have forgone the podium for good points.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2653836)   #259
toby
Rookie

toby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the drivers are so sick of being tapped up the back by Lowndes they take it out on both Vodafone cars.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 00:30 (Ref:2653872)   #260
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Maybe the drivers are so sick of being tapped up the back by Lowndes they take it out on both Vodafone cars.
If they were doing that, EVERY driver (including the safety car driver) would have taken out Frosty (and anyone who's driven for Morris)
Old 17 Mar 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2653877)   #261
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know if you were at the track or watching on TV, but from where I was sitting at the track I can guarantee that his BRAKE lights were on for quite a number of laps, now the problem may have rectified itself during the course of the race but they were definitely on.
Me and the people sitting close by at Turn 1 saw that Car #1's brake lights were clearly on while accelerating out of Turn 3. GT is correct.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2653878)   #262
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geewizz View Post
Yep, agree 100% on both counts!

It was actually pretty pointless of JC continually tapping JW anyway. He obviously just didn't have the car speed or braking capabilities to pass him cleanly, and once he had tapped him once JW was always going to be the widest car on the track till the race end, so why risk ruining his own race (if he had spun JW he would have thrown his own race away by copping a drive thru), so what was the point?
Did he really think he was going to pressure JW into a mistake? I don't think so. If push came to shove JW probably would have let him go, and would have forgone the podium for good points.
If race car drivers thought like you do, motorsport would be the most boring past-time on the planet.
"There is no need to do massively expensive windtunnel testing, or all the other things that they do to get the extra second or two." - Richard Branson, on the eve of the 2010 season. Good luck Timo, you'll need it.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 04:20 (Ref:2653942)   #263
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You could say the same thing about JW on Tander, except Tander saw him coming got out of the way and let JW through.

Quote:
JW made a few mistakes on the weekend as well as the agressive blocking so it was certainly a possibility. I sort of fall into the Kim Jones school of thought. Bolt you diffuser on better.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 04:28 (Ref:2653944)   #264
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
JW made a few mistakes on the weekend as well as the agressive blocking so it was certainly a possibility. I sort of fall into the Kim Jones school of thought. Bolt you diffuser on better.
I have to disagree, James was wrong to hit Tander and he admitted it. Then he went and did a lot worse to JW.

He was up Jamie's arse HARD, you could see how much deflection there was on the rear bar, had the rear wheels just about off the ground and he didn't just do it once.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 05:03 (Ref:2653951)   #265
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

JW leaves the door open, JC goes for it, JW blocks and as a result contact is made, neither JW's or JC fault, simply a racing incident. It wasn't even a hard hit neither, if you want to blame anyone, blame 888 for not mounting the diffuser strong enough on the #1 car, you can be sure they will have it mounted stronger by next race.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 05:18 (Ref:2653954)   #266
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrod Kieron View Post
JW leaves the door open, JC goes for it, JW blocks and as a result contact is made, neither JW's or JC fault, simply a racing incident. It wasn't even a hard hit neither, if you want to blame anyone, blame 888 for not mounting the diffuser strong enough on the #1 car, you can be sure they will have it mounted stronger by next race.
I didn't think there were any doors attached to back bumpers?

Oh wait on, I know what you mean, the hanging door was already attached to JC's car...

Next time we might engage the rocket scientists from Bostik of the best way to bond plastic diffusers onto plastic bumpers because it's just such a poor reflection of the quality given that the car behind can dislodge it but simply barging into it!

Stop the stupidity already, I can't stop laughing.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 08:10 (Ref:2654000)   #267
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

So your saying the 888 diffusers are extremely well attached yeah?
How many other VE teams have lost them over the last few years?

Do you think Dane will simply leave the attachments as they are, or do you think as they are an engineering company, they will look for a better way?
Old 17 Mar 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2654051)   #268
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrod Kieron View Post
So your saying the 888 diffusers are extremely well attached yeah?
How many other VE teams have lost them over the last few years?

Do you think Dane will simply leave the attachments as they are, or do you think as they are an engineering company, they will look for a better way?

Dunno. Last time they tried to engineer a better way of attaching external doodads, it bit them on the bum.....
Old 17 Mar 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2654066)   #269
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
Dunno. Last time they tried to engineer a better way of attaching external doodads, it bit them on the bum.....
Haha, best post i've seen in a long time!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 10:27 (Ref:2654069)   #270
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a straight out push to pass to me.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2654118)   #271
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to work out where I was going...
But it does illustrate my point re 888 being an engineering co that will work out a better way to attach things.

Retro, thats not push to pass, you've simply captured a small portion of the incident in order to make it look like that.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2654174)   #272
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 17 Mar 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2654260)   #273
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Goto the 8:50 mark and watch reality from there -

http://www.youtube.com/user/bmwdvl#p/u/1/x2aHiPO6chY

GT's on the racing line as is JW initially, JC goes for the dive as he has done successfully many times, JW immediately shuts the door - all fair enough. Obviously JC's (good tyres) carrying more speed and is capable of braking deeper into the corner than JW (shagged tyres) so contact is made, pretty much in a straight line, again fair enough, definitely not P2P (which is deliberate) as pioneered by CL.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 22:59 (Ref:2654577)   #274
toby
Rookie

toby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of you guys should move on , Whincup says he lays no blame on Courtney for the incident and that it is just part of racing and you see that sort of touch up 100 times in each race (mostly by Lowndes )

Its funny that when Lowndes drilled Will Davidson in the same corner and then one of the Jack Daniels cars ran into the back of Lowndes car and lifted it 2 feet in the air the rear diffuser didn't fall off.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 23:39 (Ref:2654595)   #275
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least they're talking about racing, and not politics or Cochrane.

Not that theres anything wrong with that.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.