Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 16 Feb 2004, 13:05 (Ref:875733)   #1
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circuit Changes

Just got marshals post from BMMC SE and see that, at Brands, post 23 is moving. From a general point of view, I have asked how such info should OFFICIALLY get to me before I arrive at a circuit with my pre-allocation charts. I have asked my club to find out whether MSA or circuits should provide this.
Regarding the actual change: it seems that the existing 22a will become post 23 with flags. Does this mean that the circuit could remove the old construction, and, if so, where (if anywhere) will marshals stand on the inside of the circuit?
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:18 (Ref:876274)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure if the old post 23 will remain or not Peter. You are right that the flag point is being moved to the outside and that the old post 22A will in fact become post 23. I would have thought the circuit should advise the changes when you hire the circuit?
Old 17 Feb 2004, 20:20 (Ref:877500)   #3
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First thoughts are that post 23 is very useful as a lot of cars fall off on the infield. It is tricky to cross the track to push cars to safety as lap times are so low.
I cannot recall that post ever being hit very hard ; seems there will be more opportunities for red flags if there is no presence on the inside.
The flag point on the outside will definately be worse as 23 was a perfect blue flag post and the yellow was right in the drivers' eye line.....not the case if waved at 22A.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 21:31 (Ref:877601)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Martin unless of course its the GP circuit in which case I feel the old post 22A offers better flagging opportunity.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 13:43 (Ref:878302)   #5
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dare I say possibly not! Certainly there is more visibility of 22A when approaching on the long circuit , but the flag post at 23 remains superb for both configurations.
A propos of nothing really, but I recall seeing the underside of a large Porsche when ensconced in the 'slit trench' at 22A . I lived to tell the tale along with the great Cognomen who remained remarkably calm in view of the magnitude of said incident.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 13:47 (Ref:878306)   #6
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Shalders
First thoughts are that post 23 is very useful as a lot of cars fall off on the infield. It is tricky to cross the track to push cars to safety as lap times are so low.
I cannot recall that post ever being hit very hard ; seems there will be more opportunities for red flags if there is no presence on the inside.
The flag point on the outside will definately be worse as 23 was a perfect blue flag post and the yellow was right in the drivers' eye line.....not the case if waved at 22A.
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I agree Martin unless of course its the GP circuit in which case I feel the old post 22A offers better flagging opportunity.
My thoughts exactly when I read my copy of BMMC SE Marshals Post newsletter. It was a shame I didn't get my copy before last weekend as this would have been a good topic for discussion at the BRSCC SE Traning Day on Sunday.

I also noticed that the Armco barrier has been moved back at Post 7a and that a new (bigger, stronger, higher) bridge has been installed between 4 and 5. Hope the bridge doesn't block Post 5 view down the hill.