Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Oct 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3934314)   #551
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
People going on about Sutton will be driving the Infiniti next year.

Just remember theres now an open seat at BMW and if BMW want to increase their backing slightly he wouldn't need to take a massive budget there would he? That's where I can see him ending up.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 10:41 (Ref:3934326)   #552
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
and stupid BTCC/ ITV doesn't put the races on youtube in full without geo blocking , on the contrary they are after those who do

bunch of cretins, it's the 21 st century, nevermind the lost revenue from youtube advertising
How is ITV losing revenue from taking down illegal Youtube videos? Surely that's protecting its revenue because people will watch the races on the ITV website and ITV Hub, where it is selling advertising.

Also remember that ITV only has the UK rights to the BTCC, so has to geoblock everything.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 10:51 (Ref:3934330)   #553
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
People going on about Sutton will be driving the Infiniti next year.

Just remember theres now an open seat at BMW and if BMW want to increase their backing slightly he wouldn't need to take a massive budget there would he? That's where I can see him ending up.
I know AJ has lost his big long time sponsor, but if BMW are looking to place someone in a seat with increased backing why would they go for SUTTON and now Jordan.

Tim Harvey mentioned the plans of Laser Tools Racing for next year but said he wouldn’t name where they would get the TBLS from. On Sunday he stated this is the last we’re possibly seeing the Subaru. So that seems to confirm everyone’s thoughts.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3934332)   #554
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
How is ITV losing revenue from taking down illegal Youtube videos? Surely that's protecting its revenue because people will watch the races on the ITV website and ITV Hub, where it is selling advertising.

Also remember that ITV only has the UK rights to the BTCC, so has to geoblock everything.
If you own the content, you get the money from the illegal videos. That's why so many videos now have music that they aren't meant to use, but below the video it lists the artist name. If someone uploads BTCC clips to YouTube then BTCC can claim the content and get all money from it.

The concept is "take it down so they use our site" is long proven to not work. All you're doing is limiting exposure there. Hence why even F1 now uploads clips to YouTube. Geoblocking is a legit issue, you're right for sure.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3934346)   #555
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, 2020, where are we at?

Well what do we know so far?

I'm sure WSR/Team BMW will be running 3 BMW 330i's. Hopefully with Turkington. Think there's a fair chance Oliphant will carry on with them.

Power Maxed Racing will, I think continue with an Astra and Plato. Not so sure about Collard, but Plato has stated that he wants Collard to continue as his team mate.

Team Dynamics will surely continue with a Civic Type R. Cammish has signed a 2 year deal. Surely Neal will still be there.

Team Hard will, I guess, run 4 VW's and have some perennial back markers driving for them and maybe keep one seat open until later on in case a half decent driver can't get a seat elsewhere, a la Goff.

I am guessing we will see Moffat and Sutton in a pair of Infinitys. Failing that, could we see Sutton to WSR?

AMD will upgrade to 4 Hondas. I expect to see Butcher, Hill and Bushell in 3 of those. Not sure on the fourth yet.

BTC will continue with the same cars and I guess Chris Smiley. Cook is going to be quite sought-after from what I've been hearing, but he may still be with BTC, no one knows at this stage.

Will Rob Austin be returning in an Alfa?

Will Mark Blundell return for a second season. personally I hope so. Most likely seats would be the 4th AMD Honda or the 3rd WSR BMW.

Think Jelley will probably return. Simpson 50/50.

Motorbase, no idea. Would be good to see Michael Caine get a full season.

Will Mat Jackson finally return? Shedden will definitely return at some point, but will it be this season? I think he'll be eager to return given how things have gone for him elsewhere, but not that many likely seats? Possibly one of the AMD Hondas is the most likely if any at this stage?

BMR and Subaru will be gone.

Then there's Excelr8. They had ambitious plans for this year, but their first choice was to run two Jaguar XE's with Mat Jackson and AN Other (likely a young gun), but that's not come to fruition from what I've heard. They already race MINIs, so tried to get a Clubman as a second choice, but that doesn't meet the regulations, so not sure where they're at at the moment.

Will Ingram get a team mate possibly?
Old 14 Oct 2019, 11:52 (Ref:3934347)   #556
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Where does this whole "Av it!" thing come from with Chris James? I recall people saying it in jest a while back but never aware of the origin of the comment.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3934349)   #557
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To see Jake Hill in an AMD Honda would be fantastic. He really impressed me this year in an old Audi and in Honda he could be even faster.

When it comes to Cook and BTC, I think it's a very strong combination and probably for Josh the best seat at the moment.

I'd love to see Sutton in a Beemer but find it unlikely. Infiniti? Maybe but it'd mean another season of punching above the team's weight for Ash. He deserves more than that.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3934351)   #558
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doubt TPC will move away from the Audi, it's been a very quick car this season. Imagine Jake will be back there, no chance of Blundell sticking around. I'd guess they'd put a rookie alongside Hill, maybe Coates or someone like that.

I know I keep saying it, but I just see absolutely no chance of Sutton in an Infiniti. From his interview yesterday I think it's quite likely he's moving on from the BTCC.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 12:23 (Ref:3934355)   #559
mprmke
Racer

The Audi is an absolute dog of a car. Hill has worked miracles at time, alongside a bit of luck at the right moments to drag it up to the front and get a reverse grid win. In a Honda he’d be up there with Butcher...

The Infiniti will be a solid car and if Sutton was on the team would develop and improve nicely for Moffat, plus Sutton himself would be on the pace straight away.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3934356)   #560
VictoriaYorks
Rookie

VictoriaYorks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I know I keep saying it, but I just see absolutely no chance of Sutton in an Infiniti. From his interview yesterday I think it's quite likely he's moving on from the BTCC.

What did he say please? I missed the interviews at the end of yesterday as the programme overran and our recorder didn't! Is there anywhere to watch them again?
Old 14 Oct 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3934357)   #561
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaYorks View Post
What did he say please? I missed the interviews at the end of yesterday as the programme overran and our recorder didn't! Is there anywhere to watch them again?
I think they're on the BTCC twitter? Louise said "We'll see you back next year!" and Ash pulled a 'that's not going to happen' face. At least to me, I'm sure others may read it in a different way.

Edit: just checked and they're not uploaded, I guess because of all the Turkington interviews.

Last edited by Evantra; 14 Oct 2019 at 12:33.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 12:29 (Ref:3934358)   #562
VictoriaYorks
Rookie

VictoriaYorks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think they're on the BTCC twitter? Louise said "We'll see you back next year!" and Ash pulled a 'that's not going to happen' face. At least to me, I'm sure others may read it in a different way.

Thanks I'll have a look
Old 14 Oct 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3934359)   #563
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
The Audi is an absolute dog of a car. Hill has worked miracles at time, alongside a bit of luck at the right moments to drag it up to the front and get a reverse grid win. In a Honda he’d be up there with Butcher...

The Infiniti will be a solid car and if Sutton was on the team would develop and improve nicely for Moffat, plus Sutton himself would be on the pace straight away.
Maybe so, and I agree about Hill, but I think Jake's results are enough to warrant sticking with it. Hope to be proved wrong though!

Would Bushell have the budget for a full season next year? Is it possible that Hill could line up alongside Butcher in the Honda?

Maybe you're right, but I just don't see Sutton as the type to 'waste' a season developing a car, especially with all the places he'a been linked to.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3934364)   #564
mprmke
Racer

Quote:
Maybe so, and I agree about Hill, but I think Jake's results are enough to warrant sticking with it. Hope to be proved wrong though!

Would Bushell have the budget for a full season next year? Is it possible that Hill could line up alongside Butcher in the Honda?

Maybe you're right, but I just don't see Sutton as the type to 'waste' a season developing a car, especially with all the places he'a been linked to.
Development will be done over the summer and he’s definitely going to be helping them to do it, whether he is driving for them next season or not!
Old 14 Oct 2019, 12:43 (Ref:3934365)   #565
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If not the BTCC, where is Sutton likely to end up? WTCR? Blancpain?
Old 14 Oct 2019, 12:47 (Ref:3934366)   #566
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If not the BTCC, where is Sutton likely to end up? WTCR? Blancpain?
If rumour is correct, Australian Supercars series to join back up with engineer Carl Faux

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 14 Oct 2019, 13:11 (Ref:3934370)   #567
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
Right, 2020, where are we at?
I've kind of given bits and pieces already but I'll give a run-down too for anyone interested. As always, please assume to be completely wrong and over ambitious.

--

WSR / BMW - Car is a given but driver lineup definitely isn't. It's apparently very likely that Jordan is out, so will WSR run three BMW 'branded' cars, will someone with another Pirtek-size sponsor (Tordoff, Chilton?) get the seat, or will they slim down to 2 cars? Maybe build another 330 and send a pair to TPR or another to run as a 'satellite' team?

Oliphant I reckon will stay unless WSR get a 'big name' turn up. Not sure about Turkington, will he call it a day at 4 titles? He was linked to WTCR last year so will he move on? Or will he want a 5th BTCC title?

Dynamics - Think this is pretty set with Neal seemingly confirmed too.

BMR - BMR will go, it's been hinted at enough. Possibly HARD may look at the Subarus but otherwise I don't think they'll be on the grid. Not sure Proctor has impressed enough this year to be on too many team's radar. Sutton I think will also move on, really I think only a WSR, Speedworks or PMR seat would keep him in the BTCC.

Speedworks - Obviously Ingram is pretty much certain and there plan was very much to add a second Corolla for 2020. Not sure who would be in the second seat, would love to see Jack Goff or Bobby Thompson get it. Rob Austin heavily rumoured too though personally I'd rather see him back in an Alfa.

Motorbase - All relies on them getting a title sponsor to be on the grid, and with the loaned TBL I imagine they'll drop down to two Focus..es? Focusii? Think Jackson will stay though I'm sure Motorbase could find someone better. Will Chilton stay or move on? Michael Caine? I guess it would have to be someone with deep pockets if a title sponsor is in question, which is a shame as they've had some really strong driver lineups in past years.

PMR - Think Plato and the Astra are certain, Collard was very anonymous at the last few rounds so reckon he'll be out. Again, would love to see Goff or Thompson in that car.

Ciceley - Tricky one, they've had a very up and down season. With the team expanding into GTs will they drop the BTCC to fully focus on that? Is the A-Class consistently competitive anymore, will they facelift it or switch cars? Everytime I heard an interview with Rowbottom his season was always going terribly, will he move out of the BTCC? Or bring Cataclean to Motorbase or another team? Will the team run two MAC Tools Mercs, drop down to one or like WSR need a driver with a sponsor big enough to cover the whole car?

BTC - Really impressed me this year, very much hope and expect them to run and unchanged car / driver lineup.

Laser Tools - Likely to be 2 Infinitis, Moffat in one. Will they get an experienced driver to help develop the car (Collard comes to mind) or would it be a good bet for a rookie in the second seat?

AmD - Imagine they'll stick with the FK2, any chance of a couple FK8s? Will Butcher be back or poached by a higher team (Speedworks?) Same with Bushell who has impressed as both a driver and engineer this year, does he have the budget for a full season? Looks like Tordoff won't be back either, could Jake Hill get a Honda seat? Jack Goff, Bobby Thompson, Rowbottom, Proctor?

TPC - Probably back with Hill in the Audi, again unless he gets a seat higher up the grid. No chance of Blundell, so I would guess a rookie or two in the Audis.

HARD - Oh lord, who knows! Hopefully downsize rather than wasting 4 TBLs but doesn't look likely. Crees has been rumoured already, backmarker but not causing incidents and liked in the paddock so fair enough. Boardley was quick at times in an uncompetitive car, though not sure he'll be back. As mentioned previously, hopefully Goff and Thompson move on. Coates and Jamie Bond were 2nd and 3rd with HARD in the Clios so probably top of the list to move up, though I think both (Coates for sure) struggle for budget and both definitely deserve a more competitive seat. Also, with Gilham being vocal of how 'fast' the Subarus are, would they be a better bet than the VWs? Or something else?

TPR - Again, not sure. Could drop out, could add another car, could keep or replace Jelley, upgrade to a 330 or another car entirely. I'd guess they'd remain unchanged though.

Simpson - Probably drop out, ageing car and disappointing results this season.

Excelr8 - Sounds like same drivers, new car, or at least I hope so, because those Excler8 seem like a good outfit and deserve better results than those MGs will get.

HMS - Not sure, definitely planned to be back for 2020 though been completely silent since the Snetterton test. Given up, or working behind the scenes? One Alfa, two, or none?

---

Sorry, that was a bit long...
Old 14 Oct 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3934375)   #568
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Collard back at WSR IMO unless Uncle Dick finds someone else with deep pockets and be competitive
Old 14 Oct 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3934376)   #569
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the "poor" Turkington family have to buy that 3 series too
Old 14 Oct 2019, 14:33 (Ref:3934385)   #570
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only one line in an article on Auto sport but it mentions Colin's desire is to 'race in the BTCC until he retires'.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3934387)   #571
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Speedworks have said in the past they would see on running two cars for 2020 after running one car this season
Old 14 Oct 2019, 15:08 (Ref:3934389)   #572
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If you own the content, you get the money from the illegal videos. That's why so many videos now have music that they aren't meant to use, but below the video it lists the artist name. If someone uploads BTCC clips to YouTube then BTCC can claim the content and get all money from it.

The concept is "take it down so they use our site" is long proven to not work. All you're doing is limiting exposure there. Hence why even F1 now uploads clips to YouTube. Geoblocking is a legit issue, you're right for sure.
That's only the case if you put the content on your own YouTube channel too, which involves a revenue share agreement with YouTube.

I'm sure if YouTube was offering as much revenue as ITV gets from its own site, ITV would be putting lots more content on there (as it does with rugby).
Old 14 Oct 2019, 15:30 (Ref:3934394)   #573
mprmke
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Collard back at WSR IMO unless Uncle Dick finds someone else with deep pockets and be competitive
Definitely a possibility.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 16:55 (Ref:3934410)   #574
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
If rumour is correct, Australian Supercars series to join back up with engineer Carl Faux
I wish that was true, but it looks like there's no room at present. Speedcafe reported recently that even a Super 2 drive for Sutton with WAU is dead.
Old 14 Oct 2019, 17:19 (Ref:3934412)   #575
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
That's only the case if you put the content on your own YouTube channel too, which involves a revenue share agreement with YouTube.
This isn't the case. Hasn't been for a long long time. If you can prove you own the content then you get the revenue generated, regardless if you upload it to your channel. F1 has monetized a lot of videos that do not exist on their channel.

A more realistic reason than ITV revenue is that Duke Video do the end of season reviews, and they're pretty militant about taking down videos (sometimes putting in copyright claims for videos they don't own). But even that hasn't stopped WEC uploading the full Le Mans 24 Hours to YouTube.

Everyone else is doing it for a reason, basically.