Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Nov 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1449113)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CONFIRMED: Super Aguri F1 - new team/not in the entry list

Aguri Suzuki's Super Aguri F1 team will run Aguri-Hondas.

They're looking to do a Bridgestone tyre deal.

More than 100 people already working for the team which will be based at the old Arrows factory in Leafield.

A full launch in January.

Talking to Sato about a drive.

Very good news - an eleventh team on the grid
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1449140)   #2
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm all for more teams, but one run by Aguri Suzuki and with Takuma Sato as a driver ? Suzuki has been away from F1 for a long time now, he may have some team management experience but he's no David Richards. As for Sato - he has well and truly had his chances and blown them. F1 Racing magazine reckons that in 51 GP starts he has made at least 28 major errors over the weekends - more than one for every two starts ! His bonkers Japanese Grand Prix should have been the end of his F1 career, before he injures himself or somebody else. I'm amazed that Honda feel he is worth this massive investment.

Perhaps they'll prove me wrong but it doesn't sound that promising to me.

Rob.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1449145)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news about a new team. Hopefully it won't be a one or two season wonder though...

About Sato, well, this just proves he's in F1 thanks to Honda.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1449148)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Here's a link.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1449158)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ultimately, the manufacturers are in Formula 1 to sell cars, and Japan is Honda's biggest market, and the Japanese public wanted Sato in a racing team. I'm not sure this has been set up purely for that reason though, and if the team is successful it could open the floodgates for teams running satellite operations of sorts. Sato did have a good 2004, and somehow needs to return to that kind of form.

As an aside, is Aguri's US partner Adrian Fernandez involved in the team? If he is, might Mario Dominguez be involved in some capacity?

Incidentally, ITV Teletext's report links the team to Suzuki the car manufacturer.... their second inexcusable error in 24 hours. Surely Honda's press release mentioned Aguri and his team by name?
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1449174)   #6
grandprixdiary
Racer

You have all heard me rant about this sort of press error in the past, I have no doubt this will not be the last bit of confusion between Suzuki and Honda !

I'm sure an F1 involvement would shift a lot more of those delightful Wagon R things. Mind you - I never understood for a moment what Yamaha got out of being in f1 !

Rob.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1449179)   #7
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An 11th team on the grid is welcome news.

However I take equal pleasure and amusement over the chosen name of the team. Super Aguri F1 is go!

Reminds me of Thunderbirds, and those really shoddy F1 games for the zsnes
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1449182)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Normally a team takes the founders surname - obviously in this case it couldn't be Suzuki-Honda!

One thing though - a much-needed new team for F1 is good news, but it seems to have been met with the usual bloody negativity here!

Do us punters on internet forums really know better than those who've put their money where their mouth is?
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1449219)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, the Super Aguri F1 team will design and produce it own chassis? That will be the only possible solution. I'd be happy for Davidson if he would get a seat.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1449221)   #10
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Normally a team takes the founders surname - obviously in this case it couldn't be Suzuki-Honda!

One thing though - a much-needed new team for F1 is good news, but it seems to have been met with the usual bloody negativity here!

Do us punters on internet forums really know better than those who've put their money where their mouth is?
in fact suzuki could use the name as ARTA(autobacs racing team aguri)

btw,Sato and Davidson most likely taken the races seats
what about the 3rd?would be some teenagers in japan?
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1449225)   #11
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about he try and get suzuki to link 2 bike motors together for him
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1449231)   #12
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, one year ago the Formula 1 seemed to be in a crisis. People expected only 18 cars on the start grid. Two years later we have 22 cars and probably even more in 2007.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1449239)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
ITV have done their best not to confuse anyonehttp://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34474.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1449263)   #14
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

It will be a monumental achievement for Aguri to get his team on the grid next year but if he does, it will be great for F1 and for its fans. I do hope that the Concorde parties see sense and do what they can to help him make it happen. He won't be threat to them and will be an invaluable place for some of the future stars to get race experience. On top of all of that, it will create a load of jobs for engineers and other team members here in the UK as well as Japan.

More power to him, I desperately hope it comes to fruition.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1449289)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They've got the facilities in place, and they've got a car design to work from, as well as an engine deal and probably any required technical support, so thy should be fine. These plans have been underway for several months and would not have been announced until they're actually sure of being ready.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1449294)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
So, other than using the old Arrows factory, is there any link between T'S'A and the old TWR Arrows team?
Old 1 Nov 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1449318)   #17
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dan Wheldon :
Old 1 Nov 2005, 12:40 (Ref:1449330)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kosuke Matsuura.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1449342)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Matsuura (a former road-course regular racer who now races for Aguri's IRL team, if you were wondering) might get a test, but the chance of him racing full-time next year is pretty slim, as I don't think he's ever turned a wheel in an F1 car. Wheldon is a possibility for the 3rd drive, but I doubt he's giving up the best IRL drive for perhaps the worst F1 drive, and I doubt they'd put him straight into a race seat.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1449365)   #20
grandprixdiary
Racer

With the greatest of respect - I really will believe this when I see it. Granted, he has Honda motors, the old Arrows factory and about 100 staff (how many of those with F1 experience ?) and he has...er.. 131 days.
He won't even know until December if the FIA will grant him an entry. All this hasn't stopped the F1 media circus going into overdrive with headlines appearing hourly, such as ‘Suzuki tight-lipped about F1 sponsors’ (real world translation: ‘we haven’t got any’) or, ‘Drivers not a priority, says Suzuki’ (meaning, any pay driver and/or Takuma Sato will do..) and ‘Suzuki pleads for Honda, BAR help’ (Oh my God –what do I do now ?).

I'll be as happy as anybody to see two more cars on the grid but I can't see this outfit doing it. In fact if they do, I'll pose naked on my site as an act of penitence for being so doubtful !

Go on Aguri - prove me wrong....

Rob
Old 1 Nov 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1449366)   #21
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There have been a few false starts before in the last few years and there's just the question mark over whether they can build chassis in Leafield in time, time is very tight. I guess they'll make the design different enough so as not to fall foul of the concorde agreement, but it may still be open to another team to protest them. I really genuinely hope they make it. It will be so great to have 11 teams out again.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1449377)   #22
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandprixdiary
With the greatest of respect - I really will believe this when I see it. Granted, he has Honda motors, the old Arrows factory and about 100 staff (how many of those with F1 experience ?) and he has...er.. 131 days.
He won't even know until December if the FIA will grant him an entry. All this hasn't stopped the F1 media circus going into overdrive with headlines appearing hourly, such as ‘Suzuki tight-lipped about F1 sponsors’ (real world translation: ‘we haven’t got any’) or, ‘Drivers not a priority, says Suzuki’ (meaning, any pay driver and/or Takuma Sato will do..) and ‘Suzuki pleads for Honda, BAR help’ (Oh my God –what do I do now ?).

I'll be as happy as anybody to see two more cars on the grid but I can't see this outfit doing it. In fact if they do, I'll pose naked on my site as an act of penitence for being so doubtful !

Go on Aguri - prove me wrong....

Rob

I hope this thread doen't come back to haunt you!

They may have only 131 days from now, but this team has been rumoured to be in the offing for ages, and I assume that they have already started to put things in place.

If they are allowed to field this years BAR chassis, then I assume that they will be more than competitive with the Midland & Junior RBR teams.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1449380)   #23
grandprixdiary
Racer

I am very confident that you will not have to see me in my birthday suit, if he gets accepted on Dec 1st then I'll start going to the gym...

Rob
Old 1 Nov 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1449405)   #24
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

He's been using "Super" Aguri for a long time now.

It came with the cape.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1449413)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
i doubtthey will be brilliant, but they shoul;d do a lot better than Lola's 1997 attempt!