Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Aug 2018, 12:48 (Ref:3845373)   #326
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Blitz I agree with all your points. Shedden has also raced in support championships for about 10 years before he was a full time BTCC driver. So al those circuits on the calendar were well known.

Reading between the lines I think Sheddens move to WTCR seen him become a paid up factory driver, slightly different to his works BTCC status. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone.

I guess if you are getting paid you will follow where the money is, but I think if you compare Neal (and Plato) to Priaulx the BTCC drivers are far better known domestically. Yet Priaulx is a multiple world champion.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3845384)   #327
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post

My understanding is that the suspension in NGTC cars handles quite differently to production bodied touring cars resulting in quite a soft setup with lots of body roll. People often say NGTC is closer to a silhouette series a bit like the Aussie Super Cars.
Yep, the NGTC body roll is quite a factor. Could that be why Turkington goes better than Collard, since when they were at WSR with the E90, Turks preferred a softer setup than what Collard eventually ran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Blitz I agree with all your points. Shedden has also raced in support championships for about 10 years before he was a full time BTCC driver. So al those circuits on the calendar were well known.

Reading between the lines I think Sheddens move to WTCR seen him become a paid up factory driver, slightly different to his works BTCC status. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone.

I guess if you are getting paid you will follow where the money is, but I think if you compare Neal (and Plato) to Priaulx the BTCC drivers are far better known domestically. Yet Priaulx is a multiple world champion.
What I find funny is that when they (Tim Harvey and David Addison) were speaking about Shedden, they didn't once mention the series name, almost as if they had been pre-coached to deliberately omit that detail.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3845386)   #328
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you all pointing the reasons behind Shedden's form in WTCR and I never said I think he's not good enough for WTCR. But I think his move back to BTCC could be seen as admitting he just didn't have it and feels better in his well known environment. I mean, at least one more year Shedden should race in WTCR to have a bit bigger picture.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3845387)   #329
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I can see Plato being a team manager. He is an astute politician and can undoubtedly bring a team of the best people together.
Doubt it It seems to be all about him...
Old 22 Aug 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3845397)   #330
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What is this different driving style that people speak of for NGTC? Can anyone shed any light on it?
Probably the best person to speak to would be Giovanardi? He admitted that it took him a while to learn the different style required for NGTC when he returned in 2014.

There is also some discussion about driving styles for NGTC (due to high CG) here.

'Due to the considerable weight transfer of a relatively high CG (center of gravity) touring car this means lifting the throttle has a significant bearing on the balance of the vehicle, compounded by the front drive nature. Throttle control is thus extremely important in these vehicles, a very slight lift often enough to cure substantial understeer in the car, while jumping right off the throttle is likely to induce massive oversteer.'
Old 22 Aug 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3845419)   #331
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Shedden has done alright in WTCR, in what is a highly competitive championship with so many star names. He did get pole in one race remember
Old 22 Aug 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3845433)   #332
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Shedden has done alright in WTCR, in what is a highly competitive championship with so many star names. He did get pole in one race remember
reverse grid pole remember
Old 25 Aug 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3845930)   #333
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
reverse grid pole remember
It was Dubai last year when he replaced a Huff in the VW Golf for the last round. He got pole for race 1 and finished P2. He started P10 in race 2 as the top 10 are reversed. It wasn’t a reverse pole.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3845990)   #334
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
It was Dubai last year when he replaced a Huff in the VW Golf for the last round. He got pole for race 1 and finished P2. He started P10 in race 2 as the top 10 are reversed. It wasn’t a reverse pole.
that wasnt WTCR
it was the normal TCR international series with a LOT lower level of competiton to WTCR.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 08:46 (Ref:3846118)   #335
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that wasnt WTCR
it was the normal TCR international series with a LOT lower level of competiton to WTCR.
i.e. before TCR International amalgamated with the WTCC.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3846119)   #336
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that wasnt WTCR
Very true...I would say that WTCR is a mix of WTCC drivers and TCR International drivers so not really sure that TCR International was a LOT lower level as you suggest. However, I respect your point of view
Old 26 Aug 2018, 08:54 (Ref:3846120)   #337
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
... However, I respect your point of view
If only everyone on this forum was like this!
Old 26 Aug 2018, 09:02 (Ref:3846121)   #338
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
If only everyone on this forum was like this!
Indeed.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3846124)   #339
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just shows a BTCC driver can do well in different series in different countries, with different spec of cars
Old 28 Aug 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3846687)   #340
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we due to loose any model of car due to the 5 years from last production rule? I know the Chevy’s had to go last year, surely the MG’s must be nearing that soon?
Old 28 Aug 2018, 08:24 (Ref:3846688)   #341
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I wonder whether Speedworks changes their Avensis to Auris or Camry. I know Avensis has just gone out of production but maybe some Toyota involvement is on the cards...

Btw what about two-car Speedworks team with Toyota backing and Tingram and Sutton behind the wheels?
Old 28 Aug 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3846691)   #342
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Are we due to loose any model of car due to the 5 years from last production rule? I know the Chevy’s had to go last year, surely the MG’s must be nearing that soon?
I think the Audis, VWs and Mercs could be due a facelift.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3846694)   #343
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Is that definitely a rule? Only thing I am aware of is that they needed to be in production and available retail through dealers in the UK at point of homologation

AMD haven't spent time and money developing and enhancing a btcc car and getting an association with a brand that they need to put in the bin after 1 season
Old 28 Aug 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3846696)   #344
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if that is the rule the MG6 was sold in the UK until 2016 so it’ll have at least 3 more years before it’s a problem.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3846698)   #345
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Even if that is the rule the MG6 was sold in the UK until 2016 so it’ll have at least 3 more years before it’s a problem.
... and we will be on the hybrids by then
Old 28 Aug 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3846720)   #346
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
And I wonder whether Speedworks changes their Avensis to Auris or Camry. I know Avensis has just gone out of production but maybe some Toyota involvement is on the cards...

Btw what about two-car Speedworks team with Toyota backing and Tingram and Sutton behind the wheels?
Or the brand new Corolla
Old 28 Aug 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3846767)   #347
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Corolla is not going to be sold here so would not be eligible.

New Auris hatch and wagon would be the right size (and are built here in Derbyshire). The Camry saloon will be on sale here too but that is a big barge - bigger than the HARD CC IIRC - so not likely?
Old 28 Aug 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3846771)   #348
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Corolla is not going to be sold here so would not be eligible.

New Auris hatch and wagon would be the right size (and are built here in Derbyshire). The Camry saloon will be on sale here too but that is a big barge - bigger than the HARD CC IIRC - so not likely?
The Auris has been renamed the Corolla in the UK, so, we're both right!
Old 28 Aug 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3846774)   #349
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Missed that, sorry! The discussions on the naming, and money thrown at market research, and they've gone and flipped it again.

Mind you, nobody could spell Auris and with a thick Irish accent sounded like another word for bottom!
Old 28 Aug 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3846778)   #350
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post

Ingram and Plato in a Toyota backed team is my gut if that was to happen.