Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Aug 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3846781)   #351
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Ingram and Plato in a Toyota backed team is my gut if that was to happen.
If Plato is interested in persuading another manufacturer into the BTCC, then maybe.

But - would he want to move to another team where the established driver is likely to outperform him?
And - if Toyota are coming anyway, would they want someone who appears to be on the decline?

If it was Toyota calling the shots, would they more likely opt to put Sutton alongside Ingram? Or maybe look at one of the younger talents on the grid such as a Butcher or Proctor?

Every assumption seems to place Ingram at the front of the Toyota Queue - if it is Plato enticing them to back a manufacturer entry, then I would expect him to place an 'Academy' driver alongside him. KX Academy, Autoglym Academy, A-Plan Academy, - they're all ways to ensure he is in the limelight.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 21:28 (Ref:3846786)   #352
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If Plato is interested in persuading another manufacturer into the BTCC, then maybe.

But - would he want to move to another team where the established driver is likely to outperform him?
And - if Toyota are coming anyway, would they want someone who appears to be on the decline?

If it was Toyota calling the shots, would they more likely opt to put Sutton alongside Ingram? Or maybe look at one of the younger talents on the grid such as a Butcher or Proctor?

Every assumption seems to place Ingram at the front of the Toyota Queue - if it is Plato enticing them to back a manufacturer entry, then I would expect him to place an 'Academy' driver alongside him. KX Academy, Autoglym Academy, A-Plan Academy, - they're all ways to ensure he is in the limelight.
Plato did say we haven't seen the last of him in the BTCC yet so watch this space as they say...
Old 28 Aug 2018, 22:19 (Ref:3846798)   #353
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
id say at the moment Tingram would have more pull than Plato at getting a manufacturer like Toyota involved, Plato is toast!!
Old 29 Aug 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3846835)   #354
SR18
Rookie

SR18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anything heard about Colin and 2019?
Old 29 Aug 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3846845)   #355
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR18 View Post
Anything heard about Colin and 2019?
Bit early yet. Most BTCC deals aren't sorted until well into the following year.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 22:32 (Ref:3849501)   #356
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the MG BTCC Supporters facebook page:

Shaun Hollamby: Thanks for your support guys! We are trying hard for next year but I think without some help from MG themselves the MG's may not see the 2019 grid. This year has been very hard financially for us as a team to be so competitive so to keep up the results for the MG's we are looking for help from MG. I'll let you know if we get any good news.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 22:35 (Ref:3849502)   #357
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news. Would be great to see MG returning in this way or another. Without it, I also believe it won't make sense to field old MG 6
Old 12 Sep 2018, 06:08 (Ref:3849537)   #358
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Personally I'd be ditching the Audis which have never looked competitive, seems a bizarre project for Amd to take on running the MG for a year get their best results and ditch the car because the manufacturer won't throw money behind supporting a car they no longer produce.

All of their available team wear is heavily covered with MG logos which is not common for a independent team so I think they were chancing their arm hoping MG would throw them cash and it hasn't worked
Old 12 Sep 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3849545)   #359
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So he's trying to get MG backing? Be interesting to see how he does. Certainly he's done a great job with the cars
Old 12 Sep 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3849562)   #360
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wonder have they tried to get MAZDA support instead ?

they raced once in the BTCC and they brand themselves as a sporty brand so BTCC would be perfect fit

and this would look perfect in NGTC trim

Last edited by porsche962fan; 12 Sep 2018 at 08:27.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3849567)   #361
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Personally I'd be ditching the Audis which have never looked competitive, seems a bizarre project for Amd to take on running the MG for a year get their best results and ditch the car because the manufacturer won't throw money behind supporting a car they no longer produce.

All of their available team wear is heavily covered with MG logos which is not common for a independent team so I think they were chancing their arm hoping MG would throw them cash and it hasn't worked
In the long run, I think the best option would be to trade in a couple TBLs and run a new build next year. Certainly neither the MG or Audi are going to win races. I remember them trying to get an Astra on the grid a few years back, which unfortunately didn't happen.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3849579)   #362
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
The new MG6 wont be sold in the UK, so wont be eligible for BTCC. None of their other current UK cars look suitable.
I cant see why they (MG) would pump a load of money into AMD to run around 2 midfield at best cars based on a car they last sold in 2016 with absolutely pathetic sales figures. They already got their fingers burned with BMR using the little money they were giving them to tune up the Subaru's.

Reading between the lines, I think Shaun thought he was getting a manufacturer deal when he took this project on. There was a couple of tweets following them announcing the MG's where people were asking if it was works or manufacturer and @amdessex were "wait till media day" so i think he was hoping to make a big reveal.

The clothing available has MG logos all over it, which is a little unusual for a non works team (compare to say Motorbase or Eurotech ranges)

Maybe he was dangled a performance based carrot from MG and the results havent stacked up?
Old 12 Sep 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3849607)   #363
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The new MG6 wont be sold in the UK, so wont be eligible for BTCC.
Is that confirmed?

I know it is a while ago, but it was being reported in late 2017 that the new MG6 would include a UK-Spec in the range. I haven't seen anything more recent confirming a release or cancellation.....
Old 12 Sep 2018, 18:25 (Ref:3849688)   #364
Pringles
Rookie

Pringles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG when asked on Facebook have repeatedly said they have no plans to bring the facelift 6 over here.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3849711)   #365
Pringles
Rookie

From MG Motor UK.

Old 12 Sep 2018, 20:03 (Ref:3849713)   #366
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Is that confirmed?

I know it is a while ago, but it was being reported in late 2017 that the new MG6 would include a UK-Spec in the range. I haven't seen anything more recent confirming a release or cancellation.....
It is not coming. Like many things this could change but I do not expect it to do so. The new MG6 is a barge getting on for Mondeo size. People do not buy such cars in Britain unless they have a German premium badge on - yes I am generalizing, but non premium motors like Mondeos, Insignias etc. are small beer these days. The strategy is to stuck with SUVs, a new MG3 in a couple of years or so and the dangled carrot of an all electric modern day MGB.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 20:29 (Ref:3849718)   #367
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
...The strategy is to stuck with SUVs, a new MG3 in a couple of years or so and the dangled carrot of an all electric modern day MGB.
Well, it's not like we haven't had an NGTC SUV proposed before...
Old 12 Sep 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3849722)   #368
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Well, it's not like we haven't had an NGTC SUV proposed before...
I dont think Shaun wants to run a different MG... his quote included " I think without some help from MG themselves the MG's may not see the 2019 grid" which very much suggests he was talking about the 6's and he wants MG to get behind him running these old cars.

The more I think into this the more of a ridiculous plan this was, AMD clearly spent a lot of money, time and effort on the MG6's, and in fairness in the Butcher car at least they are closer to the 2015/16 performance levels, but are now saying without a few pennies from the Chinese (who i doubt are interested in BTCC) they wont continue the project next year. Its one thing to go all out to try and engineer manufacturer interest for a project but considering MG barely do any marketing in the UK, have never made anything of their success in BTCC, have just allowed their manufacturer status contracts to run down, and dont even have a suitable car anymore, you certainly have to question some of the AMD logic

What ever happened to the MG6 they were going to wack an exhaust and some stickers on and give away?
Old 12 Sep 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3849726)   #369
Pringles
Rookie

Quote:
I dont think Shaun wants to run a different MG... his quote included " I think without some help from MG themselves the MG's may not see the 2019 grid" which very much suggests he was talking about the 6's and he wants MG to get behind him running these old cars.

The more I think into this the more of a ridiculous plan this was, AMD clearly spent a lot of money, time and effort on the MG6's, and in fairness in the Butcher car at least they are closer to the 2015/16 performance levels, but are now saying without a few pennies from the Chinese (who i doubt are interested in BTCC) they wont continue the project next year. Its one thing to go all out to try and engineer manufacturer interest for a project but considering MG barely do any marketing in the UK, have never made anything of their success in BTCC, have just allowed their manufacturer status contracts to run down, and dont even have a suitable car anymore, you certainly have to question some of the AMD logic

What ever happened to the MG6 they were going to wack an exhaust and some stickers on and give away?
The give away 6 is at the last round for those who won an entry into the scaletrix shoot out. The winner of that wins the car.

We don't really know what happened as to why MG pulled out of the BTCC early as they had committed to another year with BMR under the original 888 deal from memory.

The new 6 looks a lot better overall package than the first. With a better engine. They already make them for right hand drive markets so whilst it would not be a big seller selling them here would bring people in who don't want a small car or an SUV.

I believe its thr China side that tells the UK what it is getting. Same with the ZS other markets get a panoramic roof but the UK doesn't along with other things like the smart phone app.

It will be a shame to not see the 6 in the BTCC next year so I hope they can tempt MG to stump up some cash although I doubt it sadly.

Without looking at stats but the 6 seems to mostly outperform the Audis whether that is the car or the drivers of them.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 21:38 (Ref:3849727)   #370
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Shaun H isn't stupid; those MGs are clearly his best two cars. Whether he has sponsorship from the manufacturer or some other dudes, money is money.

The cars have pleasantly surprised me, I'd be sad to see them go now, whereas I thought they would be a shambles before the season started.

If AmD is going to reduce to two motors I'd say keep the MGs and lose the Audis: Butcher and Jackson in the MGs would be a good combo I feel.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 21:44 (Ref:3849728)   #371
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post

The new 6 looks a lot better overall package than the first. With a better engine. They already make them for right hand drive markets so whilst it would not be a big seller selling them here would bring people in who don't want a small car or an SUV.
It costs an awful lot of money to get a car through legislative frameworks; the projected volumes make it a non starter.

One of the great MG problems is that their engines are truly awful; performance and economy and refinement. Pride no doubt prevents it, but if the Chinese owners brokered a deal with Toyota for petrol and/or petrol hybrid motors they'd improve the products markedly.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 21:50 (Ref:3849730)   #372
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Shaun H isn't stupid; those MGs are clearly his best two cars. Whether he has sponsorship from the manufacturer or some other dudes, money is money.

The cars have pleasantly surprised me, I'd be sad to see them go now, whereas I thought they would be a shambles before the season started.

If AmD is going to reduce to two motors I'd say keep the MGs and lose the Audis: Butcher and Jackson in the MGs would be a good combo I feel.
I agree re the Audi's, if budget does dictate they can only run 2 cars, im not sure why you would ditch your most competitive pair.
Ollie Jackson has been improving this year, maybe a better bet would have been shifting him into the MG for the last few races
Old 13 Sep 2018, 07:19 (Ref:3849784)   #373
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
We don't really know what happened as to why MG pulled out of the BTCC early as they had committed to another year with BMR under the original 888 deal from memory.
I suspect that may be the key. When the cars were"acquired" from 888, was the assumption that the (limited) support from MG would continue?
Old 13 Sep 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3849910)   #374
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
As I understood it MG were miffed when they found out the cars had gone from 888 to BMR. The story was that they were not told, never mind asked and found out via a third party. How true this is I do not know.

So with the cars moving to ANOther - Shaun -, who also had other cars that may have caused some political issues. Especially given the claims that Scott used MGs money on the Subarus.

Once bitten, twice shy. And frankly no marketing value in it for them regardless. Here's a car to watch racing that we can't sell you...
Old 13 Sep 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3849919)   #375
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Shaun was as keen to get the MGs as he was to get the TBLs that went with them.

That said, it is still a reasonably competitive car, as Butcher has shown.