Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Feb 2021, 07:57 (Ref:4034632)   #76
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think the sme thing applies to most post war cars. As someone prominent said to me some years back now, why would you mess up a genuine ***** to build a race car ? just protect your investment, build a replica and race that.

I'm not well up on pre war, but presume most 'racers' are built from chassis/origins of cooking cars ? like your average Lotus 1200 deluxe Cortina ?
Old 11 Feb 2021, 08:23 (Ref:4034636)   #77
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
We still use original cars when racing but a few specials are creeping in.
MRL started to have two races within one actual race, specials and real.Can’t see the reason as very few specials race and if you bung a 8 litre engine in a fettled 3 litre chassis it will be quick
Make much more sense to run an overall race and handicap as happens at Le Mans Classic . Zef knows about that as someone who has won handicap..
Some people are building specials then pretending they are real.
Bit like fiddling your golf handicap!
We have always entered original cars in major rallies but against modified look alikes. Decided after last rally we would build a rally car built of all original bits but a lot less value. I see no reason to screw up a proper car on a rally when you can use a facsimile and make it a less painful on the pocket.Rallies do more damage than racing ( in our experience)
There is a major industry built up with firms building look alikes with improved everything’s to do rallies, especially long distance things like P to P
My thought for day.
Old 11 Feb 2021, 09:52 (Ref:4034649)   #78
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I can understand that re rallying, racing on rocks! A considered handicap is a good thing, gives everyone a chance. Largely depends who/how handicap is administered*

* googles French GT cars