Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Oct 2023, 06:09 (Ref:4181697)   #1
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
HSCC Finals Silverstone

Very nice way to finish the year in UK. I gave the March 79 B a run in Aurora race . Saturday was very good lapping in low 58 ‘s. Finished P6 and 1st Atlantic . Sunday I switched back to the Hoosiers having run some old Avons Saturday . Managed to put steering wheel on wrong so pitted on warm up lap to sort . Started last but finished P10 and P 3 Atlantic . Much slower Sunday but so was everyone else . I love driving the Atlantic but the corners sure come up quick these days . Dr Bob was back and had great race in the Marcos which the whole team was chuffed with . The best surprise was at the end of the day when Percy swung by with a VIP passages none other than Bauble Bob . Wonderful to see him looking so well .Off to Jerez tomorrow and then Portimao . BTW I’ve had a last Minuit call to ride on De Dion Bouton on London to Brighton . Very excited .
Old 16 Oct 2023, 07:55 (Ref:4181700)   #2
L-G Sjöberg
Racer

L-G Sjöberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Very nice way to finish the year in UK. I gave the March 79 B a run in Aurora race . Saturday was very good lapping in low 58 ‘s. Finished P6 and 1st Atlantic . Sunday I switched back to the Hoosiers having run some old Avons Saturday . Managed to put steering wheel on wrong so pitted on warm up lap to sort . Started last but finished P10 and P 3 Atlantic . Much slower Sunday but so was everyone else . I love driving the Atlantic but the corners sure come up quick these days . Dr Bob was back and had great race in the Marcos which the whole team was chuffed with . The best surprise was at the end of the day when Percy swung by with a VIP passages none other than Bauble Bob . Wonderful to see him looking so well .Off to Jerez tomorrow and then Portimao . BTW I’ve had a last Minuit call to ride on De Dion Bouton on London to Brighton . Very excited .
Congrats. Hope that next season will be the first when I start and finish a race in my Atlantic.
Old 16 Oct 2023, 11:32 (Ref:4181704)   #3
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC Finals Silverstone

Your man delta
Attached Thumbnails
A16A1F63-1B9C-4991-BAE9-F0D82DF812B4.jpeg   9587E6E8-72AD-4F88-A5F9-CC5F47206FDC.jpeg  

Last edited by drbob; 16 Oct 2023 at 11:40. Reason: Photos reattached
Old 16 Oct 2023, 11:38 (Ref:4181707)   #4
drbob
Racer

delta’s dawn
Attached Thumbnails
0E1E8617-41AD-48E0-AFCD-8408DDD5E8A1.jpeg  
Old 16 Oct 2023, 11:45 (Ref:4181708)   #5
drbob
Racer

A few more. Sorry about the orientation
Attached Thumbnails
8FD85529-D513-4832-81E4-528EDAB66093.jpeg   6DBE80CC-C21B-44C7-AE7B-9DFA1BC11E04.jpeg   1B4D575A-A9C8-45C6-B022-4714EB16D48F.jpeg  

7E07FB19-1DFF-445E-87BA-EECE0FBDF233.jpeg   690631BF-BF4F-41AC-99BC-1C78478BC2E5.jpeg  
Old 16 Oct 2023, 12:40 (Ref:4181714)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Great shots Robert .
Old 16 Oct 2023, 15:18 (Ref:4181732)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Great pics, good news, congratulations to all. So good to see the Marcos back. Have a safe trip Iain and keep on having fun.

Re your steering wheel: were you hesitating between RHD and LHD to have it centered after all?
Old 16 Oct 2023, 16:44 (Ref:4181742)   #8
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your reaction and show of affection sure took Bauble by surprise!!
Attached Thumbnails
0183DSC02895.jpg   0139DSC03168.jpg  
Old 16 Oct 2023, 16:54 (Ref:4181745)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Thanks Chris . I know it’s my car but she sure does look good ?
Old 17 Oct 2023, 11:48 (Ref:4181806)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An excellent finish to the UK season Iain. Some great pics too.
Old 17 Oct 2023, 13:57 (Ref:4181829)   #11
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The March always looks good. Lovely car. Also think the Marcos is just gorgeous.
Well done all. Glad to read Bauble is still in fine fettle. Good on him and much missed here.
Old 17 Oct 2023, 17:35 (Ref:4181854)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great pictures and lovely stories from Delta. It's great that he's probably still quicker than I ever was! Fantastic!

Also good news re Bauble Bob.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Oct 2023, 21:28 (Ref:4181871)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Hey Max . Get Alex to race at Walter Hayes . I’m told it’s only £150 to enter
Old 18 Oct 2023, 18:06 (Ref:4181950)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A fantastic pair of cars. In my dreams…..
Old 18 Oct 2023, 18:49 (Ref:4181958)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Andy as you I love the particular shape of the March and would love to test a Marcos. Well, not a Mini!
Old 23 Oct 2023, 21:26 (Ref:4182693)   #16
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Andy as you I love the particular shape of the March and would love to test a Marcos. Well, not a Mini!
The March 78 era of F2/ FA is one of my favourite periods, but I know that I couldn’t hope to drive something like that; I couldn’t cope with a Vauxhall Junior or Vauxhall Lotus, let alone a F2/FA
I do remember that Mallock built a one off FA front engined car, I would probably be less bad in that as I seem to get on vaguely ok in a front engined rwd car.
The Marcos is a lovely thing; a friend of mine had one until recently but I never got an invite to share it!!!!!
In contrast I do quite like Mini Marcos’ and one goes very well in CSCC Swinging Sixties.
Old 24 Oct 2023, 06:54 (Ref:4182727)   #17
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Don’t put yourself down Andy . My 79 B is an easy car to drive . As long as the steering wheel is on straight . I’ve driven a couple of Marcos now and yes I think they need your attention . I would love to do some set up work on DrBobs car over the winter . Mind you he got her going blooming well at last race. We both agree the Diff is a bit fierce so we could take a look at that and go from there . After the Elite which drives and handles really sweet
Old 24 Oct 2023, 06:55 (Ref:4182729)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I was going to finish off saying the Marcos engine has got some grunt which is nice .
Old 25 Oct 2023, 09:40 (Ref:4182915)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
In contrast I do quite like Mini Marcos’ and one goes very well in CSCC Swinging Sixties.
Our multiple champion Philippe Gandini says the Mini Jem is quite different compare to a classic Mini Cooper but I don't know why. As to cars of my dreams, I've always been fascinated but the T70 MkIII and it seems its not the monster I imagine (confirmed by JP Casssegrain). I keep this one for my next racing life.
Old 25 Oct 2023, 11:19 (Ref:4182927)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Our multiple champion Philippe Gandini says the Mini Jem is quite different compare to a classic Mini Cooper but I don't know why. As to cars of my dreams, I've always been fascinated but the T70 MkIII and it seems its not the monster I imagine (confirmed by JP Casssegrain). I keep this one for my next racing life.
A Ginetta G4R is on my “when I win the lottery l list. Assuming I could actually get in one!
Old 25 Oct 2023, 13:26 (Ref:4182953)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Assuming I could actually get in one!
Reminds me driving my Caterham in endurance, I had to remove almost all the seat. Not really comfy but a lot helpful not to jump on the kerbs. You know why.
Old 26 Oct 2023, 07:49 (Ref:4183043)   #22
drbob
Racer

Quote:
A Ginetta G4R is on my “when I win the lottery l list. Assuming I could actually get in one!
delta and I were thinking about a G4R before I bought the Marcos
Old 26 Oct 2023, 15:25 (Ref:4183101)   #23
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
delta and I were thinking about a G4R before I bought the Marcos
Why did you choose the Marcos over the G4R?

The mate I mentioned, who used to have a Marcos, wondered why they put a Volvo engine in it and didn’t put a Lotus Twin Cam in; I replied with no knowledge what so ever, that Chapman probably didn’t want to sell his engines to a direct rival. And yet he sold the engines to Ginetta; and I am told by those that seem to know that the G4R is actually a better car than the Elan, but I have no idea!

Last edited by andy97; 26 Oct 2023 at 15:35.
Old 26 Oct 2023, 21:20 (Ref:4183134)   #24
drbob
Racer

Quote:
Why did you choose the Marcos over the G4R?

The mate I mentioned, who used to have a Marcos, wondered why they put a Volvo engine in it and didn’t put a Lotus Twin Cam in; I replied with no knowledge what so ever, that Chapman probably didn’t want to sell his engines to a direct rival. And yet he sold the engines to Ginetta; and I am told by those that seem to know that the G4R is actually a better car than the Elan, but I have no idea!
I was thinking of a few cars at the time including a ‘65 big block Corvette and an Elan 26R. The Marcos I had seen do well in some recent historic endurance races and it was available at the time at a fair price. I thought it would be reliable too. It also has period race history. delta is keen to do the Spa 6 hour in it next year. I made an offer on, but missed out, on a 26R not long before I bought the Marcos.
Old 28 Oct 2023, 06:17 (Ref:4183277)   #25
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
I was thinking of a few cars at the time including a ‘65 big block Corvette and an Elan 26R. The Marcos I had seen do well in some recent historic endurance races and it was available at the time at a fair price. I thought it would be reliable too. It also has period race history. delta is keen to do the Spa 6 hour in it next year. I made an offer on, but missed out, on a 26R not long before I bought the Marcos.
Interesting difference between a Chevy and an Elan!
I think Spa would be awesome, hope it comes off.