Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Jun 2002, 11:51 (Ref:306261)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Criticism on STCC 2003

Criticism on the STCC 2003
STCC 06/06/02

With the decision to STCC 2003 with Super 2000 rules many questions have been raised. Much criticism has been aimed at the fact that there will be very few Super 2000 cars available next year. STCC AB responded on that and allowed teams to build there own cars according to the Super 2000 rules and not having to homologate the cars with FIA. Homologating cars with FIA requires that the manufacturer is involved. But even though this new rule feature it is very uncertain whether we will see many cars on the grid next year. Picko Troberg Racing has clearly said that they will not enter STCC next year but move to the ETCC. "The STCC seems to bee sentenced to death.

Today I cannot see how any teams other than Volvo's own will have the possibility to race. For us the choice is simple: it will be ETCC 2003 or nothing at all. The STCC is not an option," Picko Troberg said to the Swedish Magazine AutoMotorSport. The current Audi team Kristoffersson Motorsport (KMS) has also expressed their doubts. KMS calculated on how much it would cost to build a new Audi A4 according to the Super 2000 rules. "I got surprised, a new car would cost three million (Swedish Kronor). And with this homemade racer we are supposed to race against factory cars from Volvo, BMW and Alfa Romeo. Is it anyone who thinks we would have a chance?" said Tommy Kristoffersson to AutoMotorSport.

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 6 Jun 2002, 12:12 (Ref:306291)   #2
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe KMS need to get together with Audi themselves and work on an official factory effort, or an ABT style deal. I can see what Tommy is referring to. It is obviously very difficult at the moment for Rustad in the ETCC in the Nissan.

But in reality, KMS could not continue with their quattro in 2003.

The interesting thing is, how does Picko think he can do so well in the ETCC in 2003? If he thinks the STCC will be too hard, what on earth is he going to race in the ETCC? Maybe he wants an Alfa or BMW deal?
Old 6 Jun 2002, 13:47 (Ref:306416)   #3
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes for sure Picko wants a factory deal, or else nothing at all. I think he is chasing a Volvo deal, Volvo are extending their ETCC programme next year as you all know...
Old 6 Jun 2002, 14:12 (Ref:306430)   #4
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think Audi are going to be intreasted in STCC.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 14:55 (Ref:306459)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Obviously the ETCC is broadcast across a vast region and this will appeal to sponsors more than the STCC will. Maybe the STCC will have to take a sabbatical year ??
Old 6 Jun 2002, 18:53 (Ref:306605)   #6
AdamED
Racer

AdamED should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not adopt the british touring car rules it makes sense
Old 7 Jun 2002, 01:21 (Ref:306898)   #7
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha, I was right!! This was exactly my worry. Even with the reduced cost of SP2000 rules, the cars are still going to be expensive. And despite how much time,love and care going into building their own cars, I doubt many of the self-built cars will offer enough reliability!

This was why I was suprised that the STCC was going to quit using ST rules!! '99 ST cars are "too old"?? C'mon, the cars would be old if they were racing against '03 ST (which don't exist!!) cars, but considering every other team is also running '99 or even older cars, what's the problem?? Furthermore, as the car costs continue to fall for ST cars, surely that means more teams can afford to race and thus more coverage for the STCC series??

Furthermore, as long as the cars are maintained carefully, their age shouldn't be a problem yet?? C'mon, the cars are only 4 years old!

And as long as the racing is close, fans are happy and that means sponsors/manufacturers should be happy??? Cheap PR?

OTOH, I think the bigger problem is that most of the cars in the STCC have already changed to a new bodystyle!! So it would be wasting money promoting an old bodystle?? The only car left that is still around is the Volvo S40.