Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Jun 2002, 23:33 (Ref:314064)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
STCC: Two classes in 2003

Two classes in STCC 2003
STCC 14/06/02

The STCC 2003 will have two classes next year, Super 2000 and Super Production. The Super 2000 class will have cars built according to the new ETCC rules used today in Europe. Though there will be another type of Super 2000 cars racing together.

They will be called "National Sports 2000" which means cars build exactly to the Super 2000 rules though with two exceptions. Those cars will have a weight reduction and will be allowed to have sequential gearbox. This is to reduce the assumed gap between factory build Super 2000 cars and Super 2000 cars build by teams on their own in Sweden.

The second class is as mentioned Super Production. Though these cars will have 17" wheels and Super 2000 aerodynamic kits. Other than that the cars are required to be build according to the Super Production rules. Rules that both classes will have are one make tyres, limited tyre numbers per weekend, limited number of engine changes and extra weight added according to the results for each car. The Super 2000 and Super 2000 National rules will remain for four years in the STCC.

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 14 Jun 2002, 23:41 (Ref:314067)   #2
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, reading the subject title, I thought the STCC had relented and was going to continue to run ST cars for the 2nd class? OTOH, I guess you have to move onto the new rules at some point. I wonder how the teams will respond to this new development?
OTOH, I wonder if the ETCC will annouce the use of sequential boxes next year now that BMW supposedly has agreed to their use?
Old 15 Jun 2002, 10:40 (Ref:314276)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well the Super 2000 cars will be slower than Super Tourers, and you don't really want a second class beating the new breed of cars.
Old 15 Jun 2002, 10:49 (Ref:314280)   #4
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is quite an interesting development.

I, like kmchow, thought the second class would be for ST, allowing Picko and KMS an easy way to stay in the STCC.

But the STCC organisers are a very determined group of people. They are sticking to their guns on this.

I think it is a good idea, but will it be enough for KMS, Picko, the Opel team, Chrysler and a few others to build their own cars? It will be interesting to see.

I am sure JMeissner will keep us informed, as he always does.
Old 15 Jun 2002, 17:41 (Ref:314487)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

Yeah, MANY THANKS to JMeissner for keeping us up to date with the STCC. Hmmm...Chrysler, that is a cool concept! They have always said they had supposedly planned to race the 2nd generation Neon in the ST, now S2000 rules?

touringlegend does have a point--you can't have "old" ST cars outrace the "new" S2000 cars!

I wonder if there is enough support and sponsorship around to create a Swedish version of Formula Saloons (British) or the Powertour (Aussie) where all the "old" ST cars can race? I am under the impression that the STCC teams (yeah,yeah, no doubt b/c they're all Works teams!!) have kept their ST cars in better running condition that the ASTC (largely privateer) teams!
Old 15 Jun 2002, 17:50 (Ref:314492)   #6
Nissan
Rookie

Nissan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers behind the works teams in STCC were to offer the Super Tourers into the UK Formula Saloons and back some of the teams, even just by lending the cars.

These cars when finished STCC will have virtually no value to the manufacturers and would surely offer a better level of publicity to the manufacturer than being put under a dust sheet in a corner of their factory.

And if they read this I wish to put our name down first !!!!
Old 15 Jun 2002, 22:44 (Ref:314617)   #7
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think many of the ST cars will go to a Swedish series called SLC where there are many classes allowing almost any type of cars...
Old 15 Jun 2002, 22:59 (Ref:314628)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now's the perfect time for me to look into buying a Super Tourer..I'll do it someday!!
Old 15 Jun 2002, 23:48 (Ref:314647)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

Recall a while, the ST Hyundai Lantras were up for only $25K Aus or that old ST '93(??) Peugeot 405 for about 25K as well. Definitely those are fixer uppers, but heck, for $25K, you can't complain!!! ;-)

Yeah, I now recall the Swedish SLC. They had a ST Audi A4 running in it. However, the car's bodywork had been heavily modified so it was no longer 100% ST, it became some sort of a monster?