Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Oct 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3934677)   #601
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Am I right in saying that the engine formula still requires a 2.0L petrol engine?

Is this likely to change in the near future? Do all manufacturers still have 2.0L petrol engines as part of their range?

I thought most car makers now are moving towards 1.8 / 1.6 / 1.4 petrol with turbos etc.
the production engine could be a 1.8 for example and be bored out to be 2 litre
Old 15 Oct 2019, 14:32 (Ref:3934687)   #602
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Am I right in saying that the engine formula still requires a 2.0L petrol engine?

Is this likely to change in the near future? Do all manufacturers still have 2.0L petrol engines as part of their range?

I thought most car makers now are moving towards 1.8 / 1.6 / 1.4 petrol with turbos etc.
TOCA Swindon engine.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3934690)   #603
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not sure if another team could run a Corolla for Speedworks? Surely there must be plans for another to race in 2020 somehow
Old 15 Oct 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3934705)   #604
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 3rd BMW with Adrian Flux sponsorship driven by Sutton would be a pretty tasty prospect.
Re the second Infinity how about Collard?
Would be good for set up etc and he will be back at home in RWD.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3934708)   #605
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:

BTCC are changing to hybrid engines, but not until 2022. Cosworth are involved.

Link:
http://www.btcc.net/2019/07/23/coswo...stem-contract/
Old 15 Oct 2019, 16:35 (Ref:3934716)   #606
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
BTCC are changing to hybrid engines, but not until 2022. Cosworth are involved.

Link:
http://www.btcc.net/2019/07/23/coswo...stem-contract/
That's not a change of engines though. It's just a bolt on system to the existing gearbox setups.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3934732)   #607
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Most manufacturers do have 2.0T's in serial production - off the top of my head, Toyota, BMW/Mini, VAG, Mercedes, Honda, Ford, Renault, Kia/Hyundai, Jaguar - only real notable exceptions are Vauxhall/PSA (which puts a downer on JP's wish for PMR to build their own engines )
Old 15 Oct 2019, 18:17 (Ref:3934736)   #608
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Most manufacturers do have 2.0T's in serial production - off the top of my head, Toyota, BMW/Mini, VAG, Mercedes, Honda, Ford, Renault, Kia/Hyundai, Jaguar - only real notable exceptions are Vauxhall/PSA (which puts a downer on JP's wish for PMR to build their own engines )
Ford no longer makes a 2.0 petrol engine.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 19:33 (Ref:3934759)   #609
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Ford no longer makes a 2.0 petrol engine.
Except for the 2L duratec (in partnership with Mazda).
Old 15 Oct 2019, 19:39 (Ref:3934762)   #610
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
only real notable exceptions are Vauxhall/PSA (which puts a downer on JP's wish for PMR to build their own engines )
The Toca engine is a Vauxhall engine though, remember.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 19:47 (Ref:3934766)   #611
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
A 3rd BMW with Adrian Flux sponsorship driven by Sutton would be a pretty tasty prospect.
Re the second Infinity how about Collard?
Would be good for set up etc and he will be back at home in RWD.

I am sure BMW would take him if he asked
Old 15 Oct 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3934768)   #612
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Rounds 3 and 6 clash with the Wacky Racers schedule, so Dick Dastardly is fairly unlikely, unless the powers that be agree to have a car share. However, I understand that Speedy Gonzalez may be putting together a budget with backing from a Mexican Cheese conglomerate.
Indeed. The Mexican cheese conglomerate has struck gold. It's selling lorry loads of hard cheese to the US who will store it along the border in very big stacks. So plenty of money to fund Speedy and some blokes he knows with big hats.

The team will be #TeamHAT sponsored by El Cheesy Cheese and Tony G will do the day to day running as a satellite team. They're going to be running some Jags powered by big **** off rockets made by Elon Musk Engines Inc.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 20:06 (Ref:3934775)   #613
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Except for the 2L duratec (in partnership with Mazda).
Other than still being used in rallycross, it hasn't been used in a Ford production car in years.

Last edited by RS67; 15 Oct 2019 at 20:35.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3934782)   #614
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andrew Jordan saying on TTT that he'll only be back with WSR next year, or not at all (pretty much)
Old 15 Oct 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3934794)   #615
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That’s not surprising, he did say Wsr and Dynamics were the only two proper teams once. And Dynamics I don’t believe has a vacancy
Old 15 Oct 2019, 23:35 (Ref:3934812)   #616
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Other than still being used in rallycross, it hasn't been used in a Ford production car in years.
It's still used in the Ecosport.
Old 15 Oct 2019, 23:36 (Ref:3934813)   #617
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
And Dynamics I don’t believe has a vacancy
For andy jordan
Old 16 Oct 2019, 05:05 (Ref:3934845)   #618
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
It's still used in the Ecosport.
Only petrol engines that have been used in the Ecosport are 1.0 and 1.5.

My apologies, I see it is offered as an engine option in America. I'd when better power, performance, economy and emissions are available from the 1.5 Ecoboost engine.

Last edited by RS67; 16 Oct 2019 at 05:18.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 06:33 (Ref:3934851)   #619
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I had thought this, although I wonder if you can have an engine that's been in the manufacturer's range in say the last five years - Vauxhall only very recently put the Insignia 2.0T petrol GSi out of production. Remember, you're allowed to have a car that's out of production as long as it's within five years of having been on sale. There's probably a similar rule for engines...
Old 16 Oct 2019, 06:38 (Ref:3934853)   #620
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the info I can find currently, S-Max & Galaxy still have a 2.0 petrol option
Old 16 Oct 2019, 07:12 (Ref:3934859)   #621
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For andy jordan
Its looking more likely we might still have Jordan on the grid, mid-season word was he was gone, but things have changed.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 07:15 (Ref:3934860)   #622
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
From the info I can find currently, S-Max & Galaxy still have a 2.0 petrol option
What countries are they sold in. Europe only has the option of the 1.5 petrol. The 2.0 engines are diesel.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3934863)   #623
VictoriaYorks
Rookie

VictoriaYorks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Its looking more likely we might still have Jordan on the grid, mid-season word was he was gone, but things have changed.

I hope so. I do enjoy his racing, it's just what comes out of his mouth that makes him hard to like sometimes
Old 16 Oct 2019, 07:31 (Ref:3934864)   #624
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXDave View Post
I had thought this, although I wonder if you can have an engine that's been in the manufacturer's range in say the last five years - Vauxhall only very recently put the Insignia 2.0T petrol GSi out of production. Remember, you're allowed to have a car that's out of production as long as it's within five years of having been on sale. There's probably a similar rule for engines...
I guess the proof will be if Motorbase continue with the Focus as if there is a 5yr rule on engines, the 2.0 Ecoboost engine that they use went out of production in 2014. Later engines have the exhaust manifold cast into the cylinder head rather than separate manifold. Mountune found the manifold cast into the head restricted them on how they could tune the engine with regards the TOCA turbo set up. They would need a special dispensation to continue with the same engine if there is a 5yr rule.
The n.a. 2.0 Curated engine isn't direct injection and whilst capable of producing big figures (600-800bhp) with a turbo, I suspect it would be more expensive to get a reliable 380bhp as opposed to the 2.0 Ecoboost engine from it's base 250bhp.
If changing capacity is allowed as it used to be, they could use the 2.3 Ecoboost from the latest ST or RS. In RS form Mountune build road engines 400bhp+. Latest UK spec is 520bhp and in America they have developed a 680bhp engine. So 380bhp shouldn't be a problem.
Old 16 Oct 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3934873)   #625
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaYorks View Post
I hope so. I do enjoy his racing, it's just what comes out of his mouth that makes him hard to like sometimes
On TTT he said something along the lines of almost getting what would've been the biggest brand in the BTCC on board, but a deal fell through.