Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Aug 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2939661)   #51
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a fantastic event - an amazing and varied range of cars both on and off track and a really laid back atmosphere. Has to be one of the most underated events in the calendar I reckon. Great atmosphere in the paddock on Saturday evening.

As for my racing - I was in the Equipe GTS races. Saturday dawned very damp. I'm not keen on the wet and the Grantura certainly isn't the best car on a wet track. Qualified a lowly 22nd. From then on the sun shone! Race one I managed to cut through the traffic to 9th. Race 2 was gridded on results of race one so started 9th and made it to 5th. Some great battles going on throughout the field. Last race had a somewhat reduced grid which was a shame but I managed to get a win. Really hard work with a 25 minute battle with Ian Prior's MGB with never more than a couple of cars lengths between us at best. Ian tried every way to get past and the concentration needed to not make any mistakes was unbelievable.

To add to the flavour, I was in a garage with a personable young chap called Jonathan Abecassis. Of course I had to ask and yes he is the grandson of the racer, war hero and founder of HWM. It sort of summed up the whole history behind the BDC meeting and the particular natura of the event.

Can'twait for next year!
Old 15 Aug 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2939773)   #52
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sunday programme was a bit thinner than Saturday's I suppose but lots of quality all round. next year it is back to one day and we'll be having another 50's 30 min race so book in now !!
John's election I should add was following a fair input from quite a few 50's drivers and all those involved in setting up the new club. I did drop it on him a bit sharpish I suppose but since I know he'll do a great job and everyone will respect his views I didn't think he'd object.
We'll have another get together and discuss the race diary for 2011 at a lunchtime meeting at our race at Oulton Park on Oct 1st.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2939851)   #53
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congratulations John on your new role - more than deserved. It was so wonderful to catch up with you after so long, face to face! Congrats also to Mark and Robert and the team. For one reason or another we weren't in the garaging and a little far removed from our fellow racers but the driving on the track and the banter in the pit lane was fantastic.

Jason and I arrived late Saturday afternoon and after signing on and scrutineering we got collected in the beautiful and newly restored Lancia Aurelia B22 of Tim and Jane Burret (fellow Aurelia racers) and taken out to dinner - a perfect start to the weekend!

With only 15 mins to practice and 2 drivers it was always going to be tight to get some decent laps in hence my early slot in the assembly area. I hared off so I could get my 3 + in lap in to hand over to Jason to get our time. The Aurelia felt fast and fun - great! A terrible driver change however as Jason wasn't ready. He'd been told that he wasn't allowed on the pit wall wearing red (problem for us with our red and white suits) and that he had to wear a coat or go to his underwear, execpt he was wearing a red Sparco top - doh! So he missed me coming around and hence we got delayed.

He hared off and got a reasonable time (2 secs down on our best) but had a slight fuel issue so came in to switch fuel systems - he'd tucked the switch away so couldn't reach it while going around. Thankfully that worked okay and afterwards Jason found lots of fuel tank debris in the filters.

Anyway, friends appeared, we had a nice brunch and enjoyed the good weather. I made the drivers briefing but had to leave the drivers meeting early as I had more friends arrive who needed tickets so sadly missed John's "election".

Our friends Sarah, John and Jonny Hutchison (Jonny was racing his Scimitar in the All comers) helped out with the drivers change. Normally we do this alone but as we had to remain stationary for 45 seconds we needed help. Jason had a good start and a lovely battle with Jim Campbell (I think) which got disrupted with the stops. Pia Bianchi and Brian A had a super battle which was great to watch even from the pit lane.

Half way through and Jason was called in by our "pit crew". It turns out that we are super fast at changes as I was settled in the car with the car started and in gear with Sarah shouting that there was still 30 seconds to wait! After what seemed to be closer to 30 minutes (!) off I went.

All was well until being lapped into Copse by a super fast car that lifted big time for the corner forcing me to lift - I planted my foot down and the clutch slipped. I'd forgotten that the car hates heavy acceleration from low revs due to the tiny clutch plate and of course inevitably I over heated the clutch. This meant having to be very easy on the power when changing up the gears - not what you want.

Anyway, I could see a silver Aston catching up which I figured to be Mark - it took a couple of laps but he got pretty close and I was working out where I was quicker so I could keep in front before the flag but then Mark dropped back (missed gear?) and we got lapped so in the end I could take it fairly easy. A shame as Mark and the Aurelia have had some great battles in the past. I did have a last lap battle with Nick S in the Alfa coming up to lap him - I just pipped him over the line which would have made a great photo!

A good end to the race and we were happy with our finishing position but happier still with being able to support Mark and the team. We'll have to see if we can work out Oulton ( we are committed to racing with HRDC on 2 Oct at Snetterton) but with some forward planning we would love to come out to play next year.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2939888)   #54
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
LAK
err yes it was me trying to catch you in the silver Aston and I did end up with a box of neutrals in Copse , just when I though I might be close enough to try a challenge. ( pushing to hard !!) Annoying the net result was the Healey and MGA I had behind me also got past as I lost revs so it was doubly frustrating !!! Anyhow a good race and I look forward for a second chance

Mark
Old 15 Aug 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2939954)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pit & Paddock - Sunday

A few shots:-
Attached Thumbnails
SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 002wb.jpg   SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 009wb.jpg   SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 014wb.jpg  

SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 024wb.jpg   SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 027wb.jpg   SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 040wb.jpg  

Old 15 Aug 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2939977)   #56
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I had a bad weekend! It started on Thursday when loading the car up and I put my back out, making loading very difficult and painful. The journey down on Friday was OK although the M6 was very busy. Got to Silverstone in time to see some testing of GT cars and Clios etc. It's just incredible what some folk must be happy to spend to compete at quite a low level - massive transporters, room dividers and floors in the pits, etc.
Monday we were out in the first practice and the car was running badly so pulled off after four laps and changed the plugs but not enough time to get out again.
Started from the back of grid and the car was going well so passed a lot of cars at the start and on the first lap but them got stuck behinf a TVR that was quicker on the straights but very slow on the corners. Tried all sorts but he always got away on the straights and then I had to back off to avoid hitting him on the twisty bits. I think I then hit second too quickly at the hairpin and the car slowed with nasty rattling noises from the engine. Thus retirement.
I spend the rest of the day spectating at a truly unique event. On the banking there were hundreds of frightfully jolly Bentley folk having picnics and champers while watching.
The "gentlemen's outfitters" was interesting - buy your hacking jacket or Scottish deer stalking coat at some incredible price. It made me wonder if you needed a different coat if you were stalking English or Welsh deer!
The Bentley Packhard starting up and flames pouring from the exhausts on tick over and something I've never seen in over 50 years at race meetings, a dog in the paddock.
It could only happen at a BDC event
It may well be that that will be it for my season now.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2940048)   #57
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pit & Paddock - Sunday (2)

A few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 025wb.jpg   SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 031wb.jpg   SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 036wb.jpg  

SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 044wb.jpg   SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 046wb.jpg   SilverstoneBDC14Aug2011 051wb.jpg  

Old 15 Aug 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2940057)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What circuit was this meeting held on and did it use the "wing" or the national pits?
Old 15 Aug 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2940068)   #59
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
Peter

Meeting was on the old "Club Circuit" as I call it. Sadly now I suppose were are all stuck with that or the full GP track and I suppose the New International or "Old Southern one". I still think it a tragedy that the old International was scrapped ( by Bernie )
Old 15 Aug 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2940102)   #60
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the afternoon I watched from the Maggots (very high) grandstand. I could see a fair bit of our racing on what is now the National circuit, the new International (Wing) circuit was being used by assorted Porsches and others while the Stowe circuit was beign used by the race school.
For bigger club events (like MG Live) we are now a bit stuck without the old Briddge circuit and the full GP track is really too long. There are alos plans to build a kart track on the inside of Copse to Maggots which will reduce space for displays and parking.
I reckon the BRDC are now only interested in the GP but we are paying for the cost of the Wing etc!
Old 15 Aug 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2940107)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lml698 View Post
Peter

Meeting was on the old "Club Circuit" as I call it. Sadly now I suppose were are all stuck with that or the full GP track and I suppose the New International or "Old Southern one". I still think it a tragedy that the old International was scrapped ( by Bernie )
hmm, thanks for that. Looking at the lap times it can't be the old 1.2miles circuit surely?
Old 15 Aug 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2940124)   #62
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
hmm, thanks for that. Looking at the lap times it can't be the old 1.2miles circuit surely?
We were on the 1.639 mile National Circuit, well I was for most of the time.

During our wet qualifying on Saturday, a number of people found out how slippery Becketts was and tried to go onto the GP circuit.

Many congrats to Dave in the Grantura on his win in the final Equipe race.

I may have to change my message line as the WSM survived 2 races resulting in a class win. Still more than 2 seconds a lap slower than the Elite that was really flying in the 50s race. Unfortunately 1200cc is no match for the 6.4 litres in the Farrallac and I had to settle for second.....maybe next time.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 06:19 (Ref:2941642)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oops, I stand corrected 1.639. My point remains though, the times appeared to be slower than usual.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 07:20 (Ref:2941649)   #64
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Oops, I stand corrected 1.639. My point remains though, the times appeared to be slower than usual.

I can only comment on my races - the Equipe GTS times were consistant with last year, and looking at some of the guys in the 50s race where I have some comparisons - they were also in line.

Perhaps it was the Bentleys going slower
Old 16 Aug 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2941679)   #65
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well in 2007 Steve Hall in Equipe GT (an old mate) did 1:18.5, last weekend he did 1:37.5. He's getting on a bit but not that much! We used to do between 1:10 and 1:15 on that circuit in my Capri.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2941684)   #66
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Wet and Rain?

Look at times for all classes.

We expect to do 1 16 and 1 20 with Pre Wars.They were in line with that.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2941686)   #67
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I thought "rain" but all the pics so far have shown dry.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2941748)   #68
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter,

The 1.37 your mate did was in qualifying when the circuit was soaked and there was fine drizzle. He did 1.17 in the first race which is in line with what you said he did previously. It had rained very heavily in the early hours and only cleared mid morning. From then on it was sunny and warm.

That said I still couldn't find a second that I had last year so...?

Thanks Brian - it was worth me staying on after all! Your battle with the Farallac was wonderful - I don't know how you get that Elite to go so fast.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2941759)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah thanks for that. I confess it was confusing me, but there was no weather info on the timing site.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2941782)   #70
simes43
Racer

simes43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fastest MGB in Equipe GTS lapped in the late 1.12s
Only a tenth or two quicker than last year.
Old 18 Aug 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2942532)   #71
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 10 - Equipe GTS

Starters - 29
Classified - 22
Duration - 30 minutes

Always like the GTS grid with its mix of TRs, MGBs, TVR Granturas and a sprinkling of rarer cars. A great early race battle between the TR4s of John Andon (1) and Pete Foster (77) shadowed by the gallant MGB (84) of Mike Harris ended sadly when Andon, having soaked up a great deal of pressure, pulled off after 8 laps, leaving Foster to keep a small gap over Harris. Unfortunately for Harris, he too, had to retire after 23 laps and Foster went on to win by 10 seconds from the MGB (35) of Simon Woodish with John Yea taking the final podium place in his MGB (35):-

1) Best placed TVR was that of David Thompson (163) who finished 5th
2) The lead battle early on
3) The lovely MGA Coupe (44) of Graham Coles who finished 17th
4) Nick Wilkins (36 - MGA - 12th) and David Russell-Wilkes (78 - MGB - 9th)
5) Graham Shrigley-Jones finished 4th in his MGB (73)
6) Brian Arculus (7 - WSM Midget - 11th)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4490wb.jpg   IMG_4501wb.jpg   IMG_4562wb.jpg  

IMG_4579wb.jpg   IMG_4601wb.jpg   IMG_4609wb.jpg  

Old 18 Aug 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2942543)   #72
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 10 - Equipe GTS (2)

A few more:-

1) Pete Carrington (115 - TVR 1800S - 14th) and Dominic Spicer (5 - TR4 - 7th)
2) Charles Clegg (23 - A-H Sebring Sprite - DNF)
3) 2nd and 3rd
4) Alastair Bruce (136 - MGB - 6th) and Graham Bates (63 - MGB - 8th)
5) Stuart Downward (125 - Lancia Fulvia - 22nd)
6) Tristan Bradfield (34 - Sunbeam Alpine Le Mans - 18th) and John Hilberry (181 - Lotus Elite - 19th)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4703wb.jpg   IMG_4739wb.jpg   IMG_4746wb.jpg  

IMG_4756wb.jpg   IMG_4815wb.jpg   IMG_4821wb.jpg  

Old 18 Aug 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2942594)   #73
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
1) Pete Carrington (115 - TVR 1800S - 14th) and Dominic Spicer (5 - TR4 - 7th)
That TR4 looks suspiciously like an MGB JT.

Not trying to be picky but a century from now when historians are picking through the bones of the recently unearthed 'server farm' finds that contain the Tenth's archive such a caption might result in endless debates about whether the identification is correct and did someone produce a special bodied TR that looked like an MG in order to gain some sort of competitive advantage .....

Old 18 Aug 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2942606)   #74
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
And another slightly irrelevant point is that Race 10 was not Equipe GTS. They were race 1 and then just before race 10 ( round 2) and just before race 15 ( round 3)
Race 10 for which I think John is doing a report was the 50's Sports and GT race
I put my anorak away now !!!
Old 19 Aug 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2942824)   #75
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
That TR4 looks suspiciously like an MGB JT.
Yes, sorry, I was reading the results one line below! It's Steve Hall in the MGB (5) and he finished 15th. It's what happens when you start rushing! I blame Mark, for creating another major distraction for me, recently! You know, that 'you won't have to do anything' role that I suddenly found myself with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml698
And another slightly irrelevant point is that Race 10 was not Equipe GTS. They were race 1 and then just before race 10 ( round 2) and just before race 15 ( round 3) Race 10 for which I think John is doing a report was the 50's Sports and GT race I put my anorak away now !!!
Thanks, Mark, I'd forgotten that I'd left my anorak with you! Actually it was the 10th race of the meeting; I can't be blamed for some very odd sequence numbering! Oh, OK, another mistake on my part!

Will do the 'proper' Race 10, at some stage soon, although pretty busy for the next couple of days!

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Aug 2011 at 07:52.